• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Ronin not signing GSL (Forked Thread: Doing the GSL. Who?)

DandD

First Post
Let me tell you something, even now I have no quote from anybody nor any insider-information about the weapons of mass destruction fiasco. Bottom line, you have to read between the lines to understand how people think, if you are waiting for direct confirmation by word of mouth or press release you better sit down, because if you are standing sooner or later you will grow tired.
So you have no proof.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
If I counted correctly, Green Ronin has released less than 10 products for generic D&D (d20) over the last 2.5 years (and two of those were card decks), so I don't think this decision is really that big a blow to "generic" 4E fans anyway.

Nothing wrong with them following their muse....

Nymrohd

First Post
I find the GSL as a license that cannot be approached without a good measure of goodwill. And you simply cannot do business on goodwill alone. Publishers actually live through this work and they cannot afford to sign off their IPs to a frivolous license.

Grimstaff

Explorer
If I counted correctly, Green Ronin has released less than 10 products for generic D&D (d20) over the last 2.5 years (and two of those were card decks), so I don't think this decision is really that big a blow to "generic" 4E fans anyway.

Nothing wrong with them following their muse....

Very true.

GR's early 3E releases were pioneering, to say the least, and showed off alot of what the new system was capable of with its emphasis on swashbuckling and character development. Its too bad they wont be doing the same with 4E, but it is what it is.

Goodman's 4E Punjar stuff seems very similar in tone to Freeport, I wonder if they had some advance knowledge of GR's decision?

CaptainChaos

First Post
Goodman's 4E Punjar stuff seems very similar in tone to Freeport, I wonder if they had some advance knowledge of GR's decision?

Well, Freeport itself is in the DCC world (Aerth is it?). Goodman even published an adventure called Shadows in Freeport.

Makes me wonder if Goodman Games could do a licensed 4E Freeport Companion.

mangamuscle

Explorer
Now if only they'd produce some 4E products using only copyright law.
That depends if they have a crystal ball to know if WotC will not sue them until they have no money or will to pay for lawyers like TSR did in the good all days. Remember, Hasbro (like any big company with an IP portfolio) has on their payroll lawyers happy to sue anybody since that is proof they are needed at the company. On the other side you have small companies like GR that either asked a close friend or had to pay a lawyer just to make sure they undestood fully the GSL. With such posibilities looming on the horizon the will to support a new game system with suplements grows quite dim I would say.

Remove ads