• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Green Ronin] SKULL & BONES cover!

thomden

First Post
GMSkarka said:
The folks at Green Ronin have released a mock-up of the cover of the forthcoming SKULL & BONES pirates-n-voodoo D20 supplement, written by Ian (Slaine) Sturrock, T.S. (UnderWorld)Luikart, and Yours Truly.

Whoo-hoo!

GMS

So you were sure to take credit for yourself, but WHO'S the artist???!

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Say, isn't that the Captain? As in, Captain Morgan? I wonder where the inspiration for this book cover came from...:rolleyes:

Morpheus

"Scourge of the Iron Kingdoms"

thomden

First Post
Re: Re: Re: [Green Ronin] SKULL & BONES cover!

Pramas said:

The very talented David Leri.

talented indeed. that's understating it!

Thanks, gotta give props to my fellow artists (and it ain't a bad thing to give the talented Mr. Skarka a hard time while I'm at it!)

Gez

First Post
Morpheus said:
Say, isn't that the Captain? As in, Captain Morgan? I wonder where the inspiration for this book cover came from...

Now, he's clearly LeChuck before his unfortunate demise.

hellbender

First Post
Excellent premise, superb cover art, however, after seeing all the bashing that GMS does to anyone with an opinion that differs from his on rpg.net, I vowed to never put a dime in his pocket (and no, I have never been a victim of his on that forum) . And I like buying Green Ronin products!

hellbender

GMSkarka

Explorer
Your call, naturally, but as I've pointed out on RPGnet, it's a short-sighted policy, since none of the other people involved (who collectively have done MUCH more than I did) did anything to irritate you.

Still, as I said, it's your call.

(Oh...and to the "it looks like Captain Morgan" guy---actually, it looks more like the historical representations of Edward Teach (Blackbeard) to me. Then again, the "Captain Morgan Rum" icon character looks nothing like the real Henry Morgan, but more like a cross between Teach and "Captain Hook" from Peter Pan, for that matter)

GMS

Nikchick

Explorer
hellbender said:
Excellent premise, superb cover art, however, after seeing all the bashing that GMS does to anyone with an opinion that differs from his on rpg.net, I vowed to never put a dime in his pocket (and no, I have never been a victim of his on that forum) . And I like buying Green Ronin products!

hellbender

Well, Hellbender (and anyone else who feels the same) as someone who has taken the same moral stand for the same reasons (different personalities involved, obviously) I understand where you're coming from. On the other hand, please consider that Gareth has already made his money for the work he did. By the time the book is on the shelf, Green Ronin has already paid him. If you decide you're not buying a book he's involved with, the people whose pockets you're taking dimes from would be, um, me... and Chris.

Not to be all self-serving, but I hope you can understand where I'd not be keen for that to happen. Especially since we try really hard to be nice. :) Anyway, I'm not going to bash anyone for taking a stand on principle, since I've done exactly the same thing myself. I'll just let out this one pitiful little meep about getting caught in the crossfire and let it rest.

Regards,
Nicole

hellbender

First Post
I am glad that there was a response from both GMS and Nikchik and I am not happy about steering clear of a Green Ronin book. I have no doubts that the book is of high standards, and I do not for a moment doubt GMS's abilities. However, to reinforce my standpoint I had gone back and searched through GMS posts on rpg.net. Some of those poor blighters were not equipped to go up against GMS, and he hands out some rather brutal words.

Also, GMS, I understand that you have been in the rpg business for many years, which is an admirable thing in a way, but that doesn't give anyone carte blanche to power up the steam roller whenever people disagree. I have been selling and producing art for a decade and a half, and I have never treated anyone critical of my work or new to art/illustration in a manner such as I have seen on rpg.net. And I usually see myself as a rather cruel s.o.b. most of the time.

This was by no means an easy decision considering my fondness for Green Ronin books, but there is always hope in the future, we could see a kinder, gentler GMS.

hellbender

Remove ads