• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Ronin - True 20 System Review?

Galethorn

First Post
I haven't played it played it, but I've been GMing a campaign with it for about 3 months now. The theme and tone of the setting are somewhere between Lord of the Rings and George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, but with a dash more magic. Long story short, fights are short and bloody, there are a certain number of evil sorcerers and demons in the world, and the nations of the region are on the edge of total war.

I have to say it's great for GMs like me that are lazy and don't want to spend hours statting up enemies, or memorizing rules that might come up in the next adventure. Also, combat is a lot faster than D&D/most D20 stuff, which is a plus, because my players like to have more than one fight in a session, and I like to cram in a fair bit of roleplaying and plot in as well, so we all get what we want; killing lots of bad guys, solving mysteries, and working towards a nebulous greater goal.

FickleGM

Explorer
I've been GMing it for a shorter period of time (about a month or so), but agree with what Galethorn has said. I have only seen one review of True20 (here on RPG.net), but it was not for the revised PDF.

I like the simplifications, yet still basically d20 system that I know. I also like the combat system immensely, as it isn't as deadly as some systems, but does give me the mechanics that I prefer in combat (armor reduces damage, combat skill increase defensive capabilities, damage inflicts penalties). The magic system intrigues me, but I have not had much opportunity to use it in play (so far, only a spell/power or two have been used).

I thought about reviewing it, but feel that my preference of the system would bias my review. I also have never done a review, so am a bit unsure of doing one.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. The system probably isn't for everyone, but I am taken by it.

FickleGM

Explorer
Eternalknight said:
What are the differences between the Revised PDF and the original?

I am not sure, as I have never seen the original. I have seen references to some differences, but do not recall any specifics. I assume some editing, clarifications and errata are probably the main differences.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Eternalknight said:
What are the differences between the Revised PDF and the original?

One noteworthy difference is that the revised version includes a section on 'backgrounds' (including some sample races, e.g. dwarfs, halflings, etc.).

Tim Gray

First Post
FickleGM said:
I've been GMing it for a shorter period of time (about a month or so), but agree with what Galethorn has said. I have only seen one review of True20 (here on RPG.net), but it was not for the revised PDF.
Ah, thanks for finding the link for me. :D I haven't seen another full review anywhere, but there are plenty of customer comments on the RPGNow page and maybe a staff reviewer comment or two.

If you want to know what's changed in the latest pdf, you could go the Green Ronin site, find the errata page and look at the True20 document. It's mostly squishing typos and omissions, plus the aforementioned Backgrounds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads