• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Grenadier Class?

Staccat0

First Post
This is dumb, but I was thinking it might be fun to play/make an intelligence based martial character. I started to think it would be interesting to make a character who throws vials of acid, holy water, oil and whatnot. Any thoughts on what I should look at or consider?
We don't play in a very serious min/max kinda way.
Part of me wonders if it's not just a feat attached to a regular fighter.

I'm imagining that it would be fun to have their INT be their damage bonus and DEX be their Attack bonus.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The closest you can do right now with the published materials is using Wisdom or Charisma as your attack stat.

The cantrip Magic Stone (in the Elemental Evil Player's Companion) can be used by druids or Warlocks. Build your martial character, boost Wisdom, and take alternate human, so you have a feat.

Magic Initiate gives you two cantrips and a first-level spell; let one of them (with the DM's permission) be Magic Stone, and you have Wis-based rock lobbing.

It's then a slippery slope to extending it to vials of holy water, etc.

Does this help?

Staccat0

First Post
Yeah, totally. I am usually the DM - and I may just make a it one of the pregen characters I offer people in an upcoming one off.

I'm okay with home brew or unpublished stuff. Just looking for some inspiration and ideas. I'm thinking of trying to do some early weird builds and seeing what works.

Last edited:

Mephista

Adventurer
Any thoughts on what I should look at or consider?
Right now, the best thing is to talk to your GM about using the thrown objects as part of the Rogue's Cunning Action. Or using the thrown objects as a regular attack, but add on Sneak Attack damage.

Or wait for an Alchemist/Artificer/Engineer/etc class.

Fralex

Explorer
I made a feat equivalent of the Alchemist Savant prestige class: http://www.enworld.org/forum/5efeats/showentry.php?e=69&catid=1
A lot of the single-use throwable items feel overpriced for what they do, so I improved them and added some extra ones:
[Sblock=Extra Items]Alchemist's Fire (revised). This sticky, adhesive fluid ignites when exposed to air. As an action, you can throw this flask up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. Make a ranged attack against a creature or object, treating the alchemist’s fire as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 fire damage, or half that damage on a miss due to splash (creatures with Evasion or a similar ability take no splash damage). If you hit the creature, it takes an ongoing 1d6 fire damage at the start of each of its turns. A creature can end this damage by using its action to make a DC 10 Dexterity check to extinguish the flames. (50 gp)
[Sblock=Why I changed this]According to the DMG, a 50-gp single-use item should have an effect roughly on-par with a first-level spell. This version of alchemist's fire has been adjusted with that in mind.
[/Sblock]Alchemist's Spark. The flickering, volatile chemicals in this flask release crackling arcs of energy when agitated, shocking groups of creatures that are standing together. As an action, you can throw it up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. Make a ranged attack against a creature or object, treating the alchemist’s spark as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the target takes 3d4 lightning damage, or half that damage on a miss due to splash (creatures with Evasion or a similar ability take no splash damage). Also on a hit, all other creatures within 5 feet of the target take the same amount of damage, or half as much on a successful DC 10 Dexterity saving throw. Creatures wearing armor made of metal, or wielding heavy weapons made of metal, have disadvantage on the save. (50 gp)

Alchemist's Frost. This glittering, misty fluid flash-freezes when exposed to air. As an action, you can throw this flask up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. Make a ranged attack against a creature or object, treating the alchemist’s frost as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the takes 4d4 cold damage, or half that damage on a miss due to splash (creatures with Evasion or a similar ability take no splash damage). For the next minute following a hit, all of the target's speeds are reduced by 15 feet and any bonuses to speed are suppressed. It may end the effect early by using its action to successfully make a DC 10 Strength check. (50 gp)

Thunderstone. This fist-sized rock has been alchemically treated to explode with a resounding bang on impact. Can be thrown at a point within 60 feet as an action, where it smashes. When smashed, all creatures within 10 feet of it take 1d8 thunder damage, or half that damage on a successful DC 10 Constitution saving throw. Any creature that fails the save is also deafened for 1 minute, or until they receive any magical healing. (50 gp)

Aura Bomb. A flask of luminous swamp gas and ground foxfire. As an action, throw it at a point within 60 feet to outline everything within 10 feet in harmless ghostly flames. All objects in the area, as well as creatures in the area that fail a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, are affected as if by the faerie fire spell, but the effect is not magical and only lasts until the end of your next turn. (40 gp)

Fortifying Tincture. This is a simple herbal tonic designed to improve one aspect of your physical capabilities for 10 minutes after drinking. A fortifying tincture can be brewed to boost either Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. While under its effects, whenever you make a saving throw or ability check with the designated ability, you roll a d4 and add it to the d20 roll. Drinking another tincture while still under the effects of a previous one will cause the previous one's effects to end early. This concoction can be brewed with either alchemist's supplies or an herbalism kit. (30 gp)

Smokestick. As an action, you can snap the end off this short, wooden rod to spark an alchemical reaction. When broken or burned, thick, gray smoke billows steadily out of it, heavily obscuring the area within a 10-foot radius in a matter of seconds. The smoke doesn't rise or sink, but it disperses on its own after 1 minute. Moderately fast wind (at least 10 mph) disperses the cloud early. The stick is too light to be thrown farther than 20 feet on its own. (20 gp)[/Sblock]

Last edited:

Soldier background, Fighter.
Adapt Gnomish tinker racial ability to be able to construct grenades.
Holy water, acid, alchemist's fire...all fairly easy if materials available to fill them with.
Shrapnel (maybe base on melfs mini meteors?), Flash-Bang (save vs DC 10+characters Int bonus+prof bonus or be blinded for 1 round), these plus other could be made only by the grenadier.

Remove ads