• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I just doublechecked.

Psionics is CORE in 1e (PH and everywhere else).

Core? It was included in an appendix in the back of the book!

Psionics is CORE in 2e (MM).

It was added as an optional splat book.

I don't remember 4E.

I don't remember it being "Core" in 3E either and it may be in 2024 5E given the inclusion of psionic classes - but that hasn't come out yet.

In addition, in the culture of D&D playing for decades, my experience tells me that the inclusion of psionics was not a core part of play - but an add-on. But we are just gonna have to disagree about what "core" means.

Personally, I have used psionics plenty (2E being my favorite iteration) but I prefer it as an add-on and never saw it as more than that.

RedSquirrel

Explorer
I think there's certainly a place for top-down world design. It's not necessarily always the best choice or anything, but, it's certainly a good option.
Especially when one doesn't want the world to get out of reach or over-developed, it's a good way to have an outline of what one can fill, or a design concept with room to intentionally fill without trying to fit everything, everywhere, all at once.

RedSquirrel

Explorer
Core? It was included in an appendix in the back of the book!
It was added as an optional splat book.
I don't remember 4E.
I don't remember it being "Core" in 3E either and it may be in 2024 5E given the inclusion of psionic classes - but that hasn't come out yet.
In addition, in the culture of D&D playing for decades, my experience tells me that the inclusion of psionics was not a core part of play - but an add-on. But we are just gonna have to disagree about what "core" means.
Personally, I have used psionics plenty (2E being my favorite iteration) but I prefer it as an add-on and never saw it as more than that.
You're literally quoting a post that gives the "Core" book citations.

Also, it's already been asked to start a really great other thread with the "is psionics core?" argument stuff instead of continuing it on the thread about Greyhawk in the DMG.
@Yaarel is right, Psionics are D&D Core. I'm not sure why we're arguing about it, though. It would be a great topic for another thread ("Psionics Are D&D Core. Why Does That Matter To You?") but it's kind of derailing this thread.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Do you think they will be using the design philosophy of starting ina limited region and expanding out, which means we will only be getting a small portion of GH (like the Saltmarsh region, as an example) or do you think they will be advocating top down design and we will be getting Oerth?
I assume the DMs Guide will recommend "points of light". Start small and local. Branch out from there as needed.

Apparently, there is no 5e world map for Forgotten Realms. So, it seems focus on a specific regional setting is the way to do it.

The only "maybe" is, there will be a need for various cultures around the planet, so we will probably see at least other regional settings, even if not a world map, that shows their geographic relationship to each other.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The only "maybe" is, there will be a need for various cultures around the planet, so we will probably see at least other regional settings, even if not a world map, that shows their geographic relationship to each other.
Not necessarily, since it is clear City of Greyhawk will be featured in some capacity. Cities are inherently cosmopolitan, so it may be enough to mention the various ethnicities and nationalities that one can find in its markets.

Remove ads