• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
So, some Bloggers and influences have been doing the "Gygax 75 Challenge" fir the past half decade, based on a 5 step campaign setting development program laid out by Gary Gygax in an article in the fanzine Europa in 1975...an article that WorC is actively printing and selling next month.

The 5 steps as outlined by Gygax:

That's right, folks.
The referee of the campaign must structure the game so as to have
something to play. He must decide upon these things:
1) The overall setting of the campaign;
2) The countryside of the immediate area;
3) The location of the dungeon where most adventures will take
place;
4) The layout and composition of the nearest large town; and
5) Eventually the entire world - and possibly other worlds, times,
dimensions, and so forth must be structured, mapped and added.

That's new to me. Very cool. Thanks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's new to me. Very cool. Thanks.
No worries! I don't expectit will be*exactly* that,but...Gygax advice there feels pretty similar to the "Points of Light" idea that has proven handy for new DMs building a Setting, and using Gygax's Setting as a reference on how to follow Gygax's worldbuilding tech ique has a poetic element to it. I again suspect worksheets that can be used handily as both brainstorming and quick reference seem likely.

I also suspect the sample Adventures earlier in the book will tie into Greyhawk.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think maybe when they said "0e and 1e", they were saying that Tasha's Cauldron of Everything pretty much replicated (in some way, or similarly) or covered the way psionics were in Eldritch Wizardy and AD&D.
Imagine the chaos if WotC threw up their hands and dropped the 1E PHB appendix psionics in the game.

"You want classic psionics? We'll give you classic psionics!"

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Weeeeell, it's in an appendix to the PHB. There were certainly people who regarded it as a core part of the game, but it wasn't integrated into the PHB the way that spellcasting was.
Yeah, even in the Greyhawk setting, Psionics is rare. But it exists, so 5e Players Handbook classes like Psi Warrior are fine in the setting. If the 5e DMs Guide mentions that the Divine power source is part of the Greyhawk setting, and the Arcane power source, it is appropriate mention the Psionic power source too.

I am unsure if the Greyhawk Druid and Barbarian will translate into the Primal power source, or if it will be understood as an aspect of the Divine power source.

Last edited:

Remove ads