• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It is advantageous for them to maintain their brand versus following the latest TikTok buzz.
I think reflecting the depiction of fantasy that has been dominant since the 1990s is hardly the "latest Tiktok buzz." Whether you (or I) prefer it, more people come into "fantasy" today through Avatar: The Last Airbender and similar franchises than they do through Lord of the Rings.

WotC offering one setting that catered to these more modern tastes doesn't mean they're going to throw all of the copies of Curse of Strahd or the Storm King's Thunder on a funeral pyre, never to write about Ravenloft or Forgotten Realms again. (Let's be honest, you couldn't stop WotC from focusing on the Forgotten Realms even if you held them at gunpoint.)

It's just expanding their offerings to welcome in an audience that already exists. More than 23,000 backers shelled out $2.6 million for Obojima on Kickstarter. The audience is there. Pretending they don't, so as not to offend gamers the age of that audience's parents and grandparents is short-sighted at best.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure how true that is, actually. The 1e monster books absolutely integrate psionics where appropriate.
What's weird about that is it came out well before the PHB. Which is why, upthread, I asked about Eldritch Wizardry's psionics and STILL no one has answered me. I'm gonna have to spend $5 aren't I? Ugh. I hate giving WotC money.

RedSquirrel

Explorer
Hard to know exactly, but "about as much as the 1980 Folio" is quite reasonable: that was a terse product.
I don't know if they'd put an entire 32 pages in the DMG about Greyhawk, but the chapter might be that long. If not 32 pages, then certainly something similar to the 1980 WoG folio, or the D&D Gazetteer (2000) which was also 32 pages and set in GH.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't know if they'd put an entire 32 pages in the DMG about Greyhawk, but the chapter might be that long. If not 32 pages, then certainly something similar to the 1980 WoG folio, or the D&D Gazetteer (2000) which was also 32 pages and set in GH.
Keep in mind that 32 pages in 1E text is going to be less than 32 pages in 5E text: 5E books have higher word count per page.

RedSquirrel

Explorer
What's weird about that is it came out well before the PHB. Which is why, upthread, I asked about Eldritch Wizardry's psionics and STILL no one has answered me. I'm gonna have to spend $5 aren't I? Ugh. I hate giving WotC money.
Maybe consider starting a [Psionics in Eldritch Wizardry] topic. You're likely to get more responses if it's on the front page, rather than buried on page 23 (or wherever).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Keep in mind that the big Origi al D&D collection is about to come ou and includes that: even if you are reluctant to give WotC money, rewarding them for making a product like that might be longterm good.

RedSquirrel

Explorer
Keep in mind that 32 pages in 1E text is going to be less than 32 pages in 5E text: 5E books have higher word count per page.
I'm not certain that's accurate.
The "World of Greyhawk" folio, for example has around 1,500 words per page in rather small print.
By comparison, Ghost of Saltmarsh has around 1,000 words per page.

Remove ads