GREYHAWK: The Golden Era CY963: A1-P1-S2 [RESTORED CAMPAIGN THREAD]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Sylvar, you see nothing out of the ordinary; a man riding a horse at a casual pace, several people walking in either direction down the street, a dog ambling along, sniffing at things, and a small group of children fighting with sticks ("swords.")

Aust Thale

Adventurer
After delivering the mithral shirt to Vale, Gus returns outside, nosing his way out of the door as Sylvar leaves again. Perhaps there are humans making piggies! He also looks where Sylvar is looking.
OOC: Any chance he senses something off about the dog walking down the street? I dunno what to roll for that.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Good Boy!

GOOD OL' GUS.

GM:

Gus sees another dog; like all, well-adjusted, well-trained dogs, he trots down the street, trying to get close enough to sniff the newcomer's bum, and welcome him to the pack, if he so desires to join.

As Gus gets nearer, he smells something odd. He stops, cocks his head to the side, and then looks back at Vale, a look of confusion spreading over his countenance.

NOTE: Vale is outside; I assumed that he followed 6 seconds (1 round) after Sylvar and Gus, walking slowly while slipping into his shirt. Thus, Sylvar and Gus are a few steps down the street, while Vale has just crossed the threshold of the doorway, and stepped outside. Edward is next to him, also a round behind.

[sblock=For a good laugh. OOC knowledge only!]
~Not a dog. Smells Human. Scent is familiar... PIGGIES! ... No! Distraction bad! Master get angry!... Where I know scent from?~
[/sblock]

Gus' thoughts are his own, but he seems to know something that Vale does not.

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale Reacts to Gus' Confusion...Or Does He...Only The Dice Know....

~ What's wrong boy? ~

OOC: Handle Animal roll 1d20+5 = 25; Spot roll 1d20+3 = 18

Vale clearly notices Gus' look toward him. He says out loud to nobody in particular, but very definitely audible to those even 15-30 feet away, "Gus? What's wrong boy? What do you see? " Given the mornings' events, Vale is alarmed, and he walks quickly toward Gus, looking the direction Gus turns and looks up the road. He sees the other dog trailing the horse as everyone else does. What else does Vale notice?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
What Vale Discovers

The Instincts of a Dwarf

GM:
Vale, you notice that the dog appears to be following the man on the horse, stopping periodically to sniff things, but always keeping its eyes on the horse; the intervals at which it stops are eerily regular, and seem almost contrived. It's almost as if the dog were "shadowing" the man on the horse. The horse is moving at a casual pace, about 30 feet per round. It takes you 4 rounds of watching to see the pattern of the dog's behavior. Thus, the horse (which was already a ways up the road when you stepped outside) is now 180 feet away. The dog is now 150 feet away, keeping a constant distance of about 30 feet behind the horse. Having stopped for this long (24 seconds) the others who came outside with and/or behind you stop, looking at you expectantly.

Edward (To Vale, In Common): "What's the matter, friend Vale?"

Denby wears a look of puzzlement on his face.

[sblock=Sense Motive roll for Vale] Roll = 1d20+3, DC 12 = Result: 17 (+3) = 20. Success.[/sblock]

GM:
Vale, you suddenly realize that Lathir is nowhere around. It occurs to you that the dog you're looking at might not truly be a dog, at all.

[Sylvar, Dewydd, Vale: What do you do?]

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Not having seen anything in the street Sylvar turns to look at Edward, Vale and Denby as they walk into the street. He notices Vale scanning the street and his look of concern but he doesn't know why he would be concerned about a mangy dog going about his business. Sylvar looks at Edward then at Vale waiting for an answer to Edward's question.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
DM NOTES

GM:
Just some housekeeping notes:

Man and Horse: 180 feet away. Movement rate: Casual (30 feet per round.) In 4 more rounds, the man will reach the Southern gate.

Lathir (In Dog Form): 150 feet away. Movement rate: A-Tad-Faster-Than-Casual (30 feet per round.)

Party's "marching order": (People in rear ranks are progressively further away.)

S = Sylvar
G = Gus
V = Vale
E = Edward
D = Dewydd
DN = Denby
P = Paulek

Party Marching Order.jpg

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale, The Dog's Nose, etc.

~ Lathir is the dog up ahead, and he’s following the horse for some reason ~

Vale’s facial expression changes; he looks at Sylvar directly, though responding to Edward verbally, concern in his voice,
“The white horse and mottled green rider, I believe our friend Lathir’s dog is tailing them.” He winks at Sylvar without breaking expression.

Quickly, Vale turns to Edward, looking at what is obviously a confused face, and is direct with him, “I know they are a ways up the way, but do you recognize the white horse or its rider?”

After asking the question, Vale looks about, behind him, to the sides, gruffly addressing Edward, “Edward, how far is the temple? We need to hurry and solve this Denby quandary now.”
Leaning in to Sylvar again, he address the bard, “Sylvar, take Gus up ahead and give him the following commands exactly as I say them:
‘Scent & Track white horse. Scent & Track green person. Scent & Track Human Dog. Then Return.’ Gus is not a normal animal; he’s smart and well-trained enough that he can do this. He thinks it’s a game. When he comes back to you, continue to follow until you can’t without being obvious about it. Don’t cross the river if you can help it. Come back to the Sheriff’s office or the Inn. Hopefully, the horse takes a :):):):) and Gus can nose around a little in it. Tail Lathir's dog to the edge of town, but no further. We'll wait for you at the temple. Don't tarry! ”

He leans next to Gus’ ear and whispers, which when Gus is standing upright, is next to Vale’s face. Augustus is a very large dog. “Gus, the strange dog is your friend; he’s Lathir-dog. He’s a good dog. Gus, follow the elf. Go where he goes. He wants to play a game with you and the Lathir-dog. Seek and Track, boy. Go play with Sylvar. Do what he says. He’s a good elf. Go boy. Sylvar follow Lathir-dog.”

Gus bounds up next to Sylvar, heeling for a moment before continuing to follow the dog up the street only a few feet ahead of Sylvar.

Addressing Dewydd, Edward & Paulek, “I want to get this business done.”

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar walks behind Gus for a moment. Once he clears the crowd he falls into an easy trot on the side of the road, directly behind Lathir and the man on the horse, in a position where he cannot be seen unless they turn around. He is carrying his Naginata in the hand opposite the road, parallel to the ground. Once he closes half the distance between himself and Lathir, Sylvar slows to a pace that will maintain the ground he has made up. He gives Gus the commands as Vale instructed.... Gus, Scent & Track white horse. Scent & Track green person. Scent & Track Human Dog. Then Return.

Diarmadhim

Explorer
I nod and take up a position closer to the Sheriff, looking out for any potential threats. "I believe I have a firmer grasp of what is going on. I can only hope that we get to the bottom of this all sooner, rather than later. I have had my fill of assassins with magic, curses on good folk, and dogs smarter than some civilians I've met."

Remove ads