GREYHAWK: The Golden Era CY963: A1-P1-S2 [RESTORED CAMPAIGN THREAD]

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar notices auras coming from the mounted knight but is not overly concerned with him at the moment, though he has a few question. He concentrates on the green man and perceives that he carries many magical items. Sylvar walks over to Vale and the group that arrived with him and tells them about the magical items. He also informs them that he cannot seem to get any specifics except from the cloak.

OOC:
Mavet_Makkarov rolls 1d20+4 = 14
Mavet_Makkarov rolls 1d20+4 = 20 [Abjuration, faint]
Mavet_Makkarov rolls 1d20+4 = 6
Mavet_Makkarov rolls 1d20+4 = 11
Mavet_Makkarov rolls 1d20+4 = 17
Mavet_Makkarov rolls 1d20+4 = 5
Mavet_Makkarov rolls 1d20+4 = 8

Last edited by a moderator:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale & Gus Examine The Green Man

~ Dead assassin posed as Sheriff. The perhaps "real" sheriff unrecognized by his deputies. And this guy Lathir was following, clearly up to no good, currently taking a snooze courtesy of a knock on the noggin', after being a bad fellow. The ole foot got better in the nick of time, what with all of these bad intentions. ~

Vale addresses Edward with a helpful dignity not quite approaching authority, but clearly as more experienced. He intends to persuade Edward, "Edward, a few suggestions before you take this fellow to jail. We should bring him to the temple with us. Perhaps as we get to the bottom of our 'other' matter, we would be well-served by interrogating this fellow by magical means. Let's bring him with us to the temple. Clearly Lathir and his dog were following him. I suspect my sending Gus with Sylvar to back him up helped cause this dust up. But this fellow likely saw your encounter with our 'other' matter, as well as our remaining in your office. If you will indulge my curiosity, there are several threads to this rug that I would tug on to see how much it we might expose."

Vale turns to Sylvar, "Nice tap on his head, Elf! You gave him a good headache. Good thinking keeping him alive."

And to Gus, "Good dog Gus! Well done! Bully! Now, let's get a good whiff of him, yes? And all of his gear. Should he attempt to evade us again, I'll let you have a full go at him by hunting him down."

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen & The Green Man

~ Another acrobat and brigand extraordinaire? A wee fellow at that. ~

Respen and Vega had been stopping among the shops to take stock of the gear, magic items, and more unexplained baubles such that they might be sold a little later. They have completed the lion's share of their self-appointed task, and they were finishing up in a shop when the commotion occurred and Sylvar rendered the green man unconscious. Respen is quiet, taking in what he sees.
This new fellow on a heavy mount sporting unicorn insignias and an ORC accent?!?!. The guards, Vale called one Edward, and the gate guard and this Edward called another Paulek. A third man clearly in custody among them, but also clearly cooperative. Dewydd. Lathir. And the rest of the gang. Gus is working a path around the green man, sniffing, growling, and sneezing toward Vale.

He very quietly asks Vega to return to Karth and Maxwell at the Inn with the gear they were acquiring prices for at that moment. He suggests that she look in on the stables to make sure both their horse, the stable boy hired to watch them, and the three bodies are still indeed where they need to be. Upon hearing Vale mention magic and the temple, Respen asks Vega to leave Vaelik's hat, ring, cloak, and personal effects with him, particularly one of the carrion crawler vials.

Aside from housekeeping and conversation to bring him up to speed, he listens carefully to all of the ensuing conversations.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
The best laid plans of mice and men...

Lathir grumbles to himself, "City folk... never can think farther ahead than 2 seconds."

Last edited by a moderator:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Coming up to the scene, I quickly survey it and assess the situation. Looking at the bull of a man and his steed, I grin. "Well done, all of you." Turning to the armored figure, I extend my hand for a warrior's grasp, "That was some fine riding! Thank you for assisting in stopping that man. It looked as if he were willing to trample anyone unlucky enough to step in his path."

akahdrin

First Post
Turning his head towards the human and with a press of his leg against his steed, his horse turns towards the human so that his lance hand is closer. Kasnik jabs his lance into the ground far enough that it can be stable while it rests against him freeing up his hand. A bit unfamiliar with traditional human customs, he reaching out and grasps the forearm of the man that his former warrior customs had taught him. The hand that grabs Dewydd's forearm is large and powerful. The grasp and the pull that followed was slightly jarring.

In a grizzly accent weathered by age (speaking common), "Thank you. I could not idly stand by as he endangered the lives of the innocent. I am Kasnik, a knight of Valarian."

After the brief introduction, Kasnik reaches for his lance once again and readies it on the downed man.

OOC: Kasnik is holding his standard action for any hostile attacks against the downed man. A use of manacles or rope to bind him will not be considered hostile.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Off To The Temple

Spending The Day In Cuthbert's House

Vale said:
He intends to persuade Edward, "Edward, a few suggestions before you take this fellow to jail. We should bring him to the temple with us..."

Edward (To Vale in Common): "Friend Vale, I think your idea has considerable merit. We'll use his horse to carry him over there. Then, if you'd be so kind, could one of your compatriots take his horse to the stables, and feed it? No sense abusing the poor animal on its master's behalf."

Lathir pipes up, seeing his chance: "I'd be glad to help you, sir." without missing a beat, Lathir begins leading the horse behind Edward toward the temple. The Druid gives a smirk and a knowing wink to Vale. Edward thanks Lathir, as he begins to proceed down the street.

Respen said:
He very quietly asks Vega to return to Karth and Maxwell at the Inn with the gear they were acquiring prices for at that moment. He suggests that she look in on the stables to make sure both their horse, the stable boy hired to watch them, and the three bodies are still indeed where they need to be. Upon hearing Vale mention magic and the temple, Respen asks Vega to leave Vaelik's hat, ring, cloak, and personal effects with him, particularly one of the carrion crawler vials.

Vega (To Respen in Common): "Sure thing. I'll see you later, then," she says. Vega then hands Respen the items he asked for, and turns to leave, headed for the inn.

As all of this is happening, Paulek relieves the gate guard; "Go to the temple with Edward, and get that cut looked at," he says. The guard nods in agreement, and starts casually walking down the street, next to Edward. Paulek then trots over to the guard's station by the gate, to assume his duties.

Kasnik said:
After the brief introduction, Kasnik reaches for his lance once again and readies it on the downed man.

Seeing that the guards seem to have everything well-in-hand, Kasnik sees no reason to continue his vigil. The Man in Green is now unconscious, his hands bound with rope behind him, laid across his horse's saddle, being slowly carried down the street, as Lathir leads the man's horse in a casual manner, following Edward.

Gate Guard (To Kasnik in Common):
"My lord, since your destination is likely the same as ours, feel free to amble along with us. We are honored by your company." Having said that, the guard continues on his way, following closely alongside Edward.

GM:
Without further ado, the party proceeds down the street, to the Temple of Cuthbert. Upon your arrival, introductions are made, and Edward explains that they believe that the man with them really is Denby, and that we need their help to determine how to restore him to his proper form. He also explains that the Man in Green probably had something to do with all of this, and that he needs to be interrogated. The priest nods, and bids the party to follow him into the courtyard on the side of the temple. Once in the courtyard, the priests remove the Man in Green from his horse, and Lathir leads the horse away, exiting the courtyard gate, and heading back to the commoner stable, as Edward suggested.

One of the acolytes produces a large ham bone, which he gives to Gus. He assures Vale that Gus will be comfortable here in the courtyard, while the party speaks to the priest.

Some of the acolytes of the temple offer to feed and water Kasnik's horse, if he so desires. They also offer to polish his shield and his lance for him. After dismounting, and handing off the shield and lance, Kasnik is now free to follow the party inside.

GM: Kasnik, this is your chance to join the party. All you have to do is make your introduction, and let the party know why you have come here, and why you feel led to aid them. It's all up to you, now.

The priest introduces himself as Father Xavier, and leads the party inside. He asks Denby for his sword, as a show of faith; Denby relinquishes the sword willingly, with a smile. The acolytes carry away the Man in Green, and assure Edward that he will be placed in a locked, windowless cell, with a guard placed at the door.

DM HOUSEKEEPING:

Party Members Present At The Meeting:

Vale
Respen
Sylvar
Dewydd
Kasnik

NPCs Present:

Denby
Edward
3. The Gate Guard, who turns out to be named
Deputy Harold Burkett.
Father Xavier

NPCs Not Present:

Vega (at the inn)
Maxwell (at the inn)
Man in Green (being held in monk's quarters)

PCs Not Present:

Lathir (leading horse to commoner stables)
Karth (at the inn with Vega)

Father Xavier leads you into an antechamber behind the main chapel area, where he often entertains visitors. He offers everyone a seat, and says,
"Please excuse me for a moment, while I make you all some tea. Feel free to talk among yourselves while you wait, you will not disturb anyone, the priests here use the auxiliary chapel for their mid-day prayers." at that point, Father Xavier leaves the room, giving you the opportunity to talk among yourselves.

GM:
HINT: This is where Kasnik should tell the party his life story, ha ha.

Last edited:

akahdrin

First Post
Walking into the chapel, Kasnik knew that he would soon have to reveal his nature. He also knew that he had to get this armor off at some point as it has been a long day. Everyone takes a seat and Kasnik says, “I’m going to have to do this sooner or later.”

Kasnik stands up and removes his helmet revealing an elderly orc’s face with deep scaly teal skin, shining ebony eyes, and full head of midnight blue hair. With the turning of a strange disc located on his hip, his armor clicks and clanks, opens up across his back and shoulders and falls to the floor within seconds revealing an ancient orc. Standing before you all is a strange scarred muscular elderly orc. Regardless of his venerable age, his body's physique is almost unmatched among others. His body is completely ritually scarred in the old ways of Gruumsh. Strangely, his eye has a massive scar across it like it was once missing, but his eye is present. Kasnik shrugs his shoulders, arches his back, and stretches his neck out and sits back down.

“Well, now that is out in the open, I’m sure you have some questions. I’ll answer this obvious one first, no, I do not follow the old ways anymore and also do not follow the new ones of orcs. After the schism that split my people many years ago, many orcs didn’t know what to do. Some blindly followed, some kept the bloodlust, and very small few didn’t know what to do. I was a part of the last group. When my god left the old ways and made such a radical change, I felt that I needed to make a similar change, but to what was unknown to me.”

“I exiled myself away from the Pumarj’s region of the Sea of Gearnat almost 60 years ago and wandered through the Suss Forest and eventually settled onto what I would later come to know as the the Faerie Kingdom of Celene. I spent my years living off the land and befriending animals. Unknown to me, but I was being watched the entire time by what would later become my patron, guide, and family. One day a Unicorn was grazing in the forest and I remained motionless, trying not to startle it as unicorns don’t care for orcs. I heard orc warcries and a group of orcs rushing towards to pristine beast. The respect that the forest had taught me was more than what the orcs ever could. I rushed into action and put myself between the unicorn and the orcs. They immediately stopped and saw my rage, my thirst, and my immense size. I howled at them and charged at them with a large club and smashed their skulls into the ground.” Kasnik, closed his eyes and sighed. “I had lost what it meant to be an orc and became something else. I put a higher service above my own rage.”

“And that is when it all changed. That unicorn came to me and spoke in a tongue I did not know yet and touched my head with his horn. That feeling of tranquility transformed me. The watchers then came out from the shadows and finally showed themselves to me. They taught me the woodland realm’s language. Their rangers taught me live off the land and honed my fighting and riding skills. Their druids taught me how to train and respect animals. They then blessed me with the knowledge of Valarian, the dusk unicorn.” Kasnik’s posture changes to sitting erect and calm. “I made a promise to Valarian that I would remain pure for the rest of my life and I will never break that promise.”

After a few other questions, someone asked why Kasnik came here. “After many years in the forest, the elf Queen Mirian caught wind of me and sought me out. I was honored to serve in her military for a great number of years. Their I was taught how to find a truly special animal and communicate with it. Not only that, but they taught me how to be what I am today. Queen Mirian blessed me as an ambassador to the world and as a defender of Valarian. So what brings me here? I would have to say Valarian’s will has. My only duty now is to protect those who need it, spread the love of Valarian, and to seek out evil and destroy it when I feel it.”

Kasnik’s face contorts and his posture quickly changes to a tired slump. “I can only hope that my words don’t come across as lies. I am far too old to run away. I hope that I did not interfere with anything here.” At this point, despite the fact that it is mid-day, the moon's intense glow finds a way to only beam light onto Kasnik which then slowly expands to the party members in the room. The unicorn on Kasnik's armor and shield begin to glow on the floor as well sending flickering moonlight around the room.

Kasnik’s eyes widen. “Valarian…”

Kasnik picks up his great sword and lays it out across his outstretched scarred hands and kneels down before the party with his head down. “You will have my loyalty, my sword, and my life, if you would accept me.”

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Eyes Are Opened!

Denby, Edward, and Harold are dumbfounded by what transpires. Edward simply stares in amazement; Harold is startled at first, and almost reaches for his weapon, but Denby stops him with a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Hold up, there, Little Hair. Don't be so hasty."

Harold stares at Denby in amazement. "Do I know you?" he asks.

But Harold's question is lost in the moment, as moonlight illuminates the room.

Edward is the first to speak: "Wow, today has been quite an adventure. And to think, I almost stayed home to catch up on sleep. I'm certainly glad that I didn't." Edward stands up, and offers his hand to Kasnik. "I am very pleased to meet you, Sir Kasnik. No offense, but you're the first Orc I've ever met up close, and you're also the first Orc I've ever heard of having blue skin. Are you from a different tribe?"

Denby interrupts, "He's an Aquatic Orc, also known as a Water Orc, or Ocean Orc. I know of your people, Kasnik, but you're the first one I've ever seen up close. It took guts to reveal yourself the way you did. I'm glad you trusted us with your secret. I'm also glad that Paulek wasn't here, he's a bit of a hot-head. He's the exact opposite of his level-headed cousin here," he says, indicating Edward. Denby laughs a little before continuing, "Once we get this mess with me straightened out, I will see to it that you are known to the locals, and not mistreated."

Harold gives Denby a quizzical look, but says nothing.

At that moment, Father Xavier returns with the refreshments. He does not seem startled at all to see Kasnik. "Well," he says, "this is an unexpected honor. Valarian's children are always welcome here, although I must admit, you are the first of her beloved that I have ever met who was male, and an Orc at that. With such a unique background, I am certain that your purpose here is one of supreme importance; I feel that you are destined for great things. And my feelings are never wrong."

Father Xavier serves the tea, while continuing: "In case you're wondering, nothing transpires in this temple without my knowing it, especially when the Moonlight of Valarian makes its presence known. I can sense your benevolence from here, and that makes our meeting today even more pleasant. I have heard that there is a matter which needs my attention, and that it involves our good Sheriff, Sir Denby. Please, tell me the details..."

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Remove ads