GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Piece by Piece!

GM:
You forgot to add +2 to hit for charging. That makes your attacks: 19 (still a miss), 26, and 23. That means you hit with a claw and a bite.

Claw = 6-5 = 1 pt.
Bite = 7-5 = 2 pts.

You inflicted a total of 3 pts. damage.

You charge the foul-smelling, putrid fiend, and find that the metal plates which are bolted into his skin make tearing it difficult. NEVERTHELESS, you succeed in ripping one of the plates out, along with a strip of flesh, which results in a green, foul-smelling, substance which is the viscosity of blood, spilling out, along with dozens of small maggot-like creatures. The fiend is surprised that a simple animal would be able to hurt him at all, and yet, here he is, being assaulted by a bear, who is capable of tearing him apart, one small piece at a time.

RESPEN: It's your tun. What do you do?

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen Attacks the Doobie Brothers....

~ Too confined to move around. Not liking this. Need to take the closer one out of the fight. ~

Seeing the grievous wound Dewydd delivered to the smaller fiend, Respen is emboldened. He whispers the evocation, kneeling, and touches the ground, feeling the energy crackle and surge.
The blue arch etches lightning in the floor, and Respen winces, concerned about the panicked bystanders. He hesitates for a moment in his resolve. The electric energy jolts the fiend, sizzling and sending steam from his wounds. The hesitation was just enough, however, to weaken the bolt, and the result is little more than static electricity. The fiend likely felt mild discomfort, undoubtedly nothing compared to the gaping wound from Dewydd's sword.

Respen curses a drow epithet he learned long ago for just such an occasion, the arch fading away from the floor, leaving a nasty winding scorch from Respen's kneeling hand to the fiend on the other side of the room.

~ Now that I have ruined Margull's floor with nothing to show for it....~ Respen shakes his head and prepares his next attack.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar stands and readies his composite bow while chanting a Crusski chant in common, his intention is to inspire courage in those in the court room...

Lo, There do I see my Father
Lo, There do I see my Mother and
My Brothers and my Sisters
Lo, There do I see the line of my people back to the beginning
Lo, They do call to me
They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla
Where thine enemies have been vanquished
Where the brave shall live Forever
Nor shall we mourn but rejoice for those that have died the glorious death.

When he finishes the chant he gets louder and draws his bow...

Lo, They do call to me

At the end of the second chant he starts over a third and final time, this time he is yelling, his voice carries rage and resolve to vanquish his enemies, rather than fear of death.

Sylvar lets his arrow loose...

Lo, They do call to me

OOC: Rolled a 12 to hit, probably a miss.

OOC: In a beserker rage brought on by the chant and his arrow missing, Sylvar draws his Naginata and jumps on top of the beast that used to be the captain. He rares back and stabs it through the skull. As the beast falls Sylvar jumps on the face of the second beast and rips out its brains through its eye sockets. Covered in the blood of his vanquished enemies Sylvar rips his shirt off raises his face and hands to heaven and yells "See me now Odin!!!, I have vanquished my enemies" all the women swoon. The King of the land walks in and give his entire kingdom to Sylvar...the end

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Total Chaos Erupts, And Yet Hearts Are Inspired!

Sylvar's arrow strikes true, but bounces harmlessly off of the brute's many skin plates. And yet, despite this failure, the chant inspires those that hear it.

GM:
Everyone who can hear Sylvar gets +1 to save vs. Charm and Fear, and +1 To Hit and Damage.

All of the jurors, lawyers, observers, and one of the town guardsmen were all turning, and preparing to flee. However, Sylvar's chant gives them another chance to keep their wits about them!

GM:
Sgt. of the Watch: 21 (SUCCESS!)
City Guardsman: 12 (Fail)
Defense Attorney: 11 (Fail)
Citizen Jurors: 4 (Fail)
Citizen Observers: 5 (Fail)

The jurors scramble from their gallery, knocking each other over in a frantic scramble to leave the courtroom!

But amidst the sea of unbridled cowardice, the Sergeant at Arms regains his composure! With a snarl, he turns to the "Little Guy" and charges, screaming something unintelligible at the top of his lungs!!

GM:
Sergeant's normal attack bonus: +12
Minus Power Attack: +7
Plus From Sylvar's Chant: (+1) = +8
Plus From Charging (+2) = +10

[-2 AC until his next turn, from charging]

Total Roll: 18 (Miss)

Against any lesser foe, the Sergeant's two-handed blade would have struck true, and cleaved its victim in half; but the only result from his reckless charge is a few sparks from the metal plating that covers the foul fiend.

Father Xavier calmly takes in the situation, and then decides upon a course of action: he backtracks, stepping out of the gallery, and out of the range of melee combat, and casts a spell at the larger fiend.

GM:
Father Xavier's Caster Level Check: 22 (Fails to penetrate Spell Resistance.)

As the spell fails to affect the creature, a worried look crosses Father Xavier's face. Still, he does not flee. Of course, the Citizen Observers do not share his bravery and strength of will. They all flee wildly from the courtroom.

UPDATED POSITIONS:

000-All-Rise-In-The-Courtroom-005.jpg

VALE: It's Your Turn. What do you do?

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale Attempts A Nutshot

~ Devil-fiends! Vile creatures! Will have to discover the reason behind the axe's color blue after this frackus later. ~

So engrossed in the conjuration of the devils, Vale didn't have the chance to even react to Able's change in color. The steel was cool and blued, the product of the finest dwarven workmanship. However the glow gave it a shimmering quality, a radiant pale blue light. It was still blue. Very blue. Barely had the judge, mayor, advocates, guards, and prisoners become situated than the devils appeared, gutting the prisoners into piles of slimy, dark bloody goo. The blood magic had done its work.

Vale reacted almost simultaneously as Dewydd and Lathir. He heard Sylvar's recitation, giving him additional courage. He saw the electrical spark from Respen, with the smell of ozone mixing with the noxious odors emanating from the fiends. He saw Vega move quickly toward the judge and mayor. He saw Father Xavier engaging the big fella with the Sargeant. He saw Lathir wrench free one of the metal plates covering the devil's torso and back.

He hurdled the rail in a flying leap typically unnatural for him, charging quickly betwixt Dewydd and Lathir in his bear form. Lathir had gone high. Vale went low, burying his axe into the groin of the smaller fiend, displacing a metal plate and driving it back into the fiend's lower mid-section. The fiend reacted predictably, howling in anger. The damage was nowhere near what Dewydd had done, but it was sufficient to make the fiend guess where the next hit was coming from...low, middle, or high.

"This is as close as I ever want to be to devil's balls."

OOC:
Leap Rail: 17
Attack: 20
No Critical
Damage Roll (1d10+5) = 5+5=10
DM please confirm.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Round Two: FIGHT!

GM:
Vale, your axe, even when dormant (like it is now) is a good-aligned weapon. The axe itself is solid, mined silver, and the cutting edges of the blades are edged with mithral, a more pure form of silver. Thus, on both counts, silver and good, your axe ignores the fiend's Damage Reduction. (which is: 5/Good or Silver)

Please note that I assumed that in your charge, you merely knocked the Defense Attorney's desk to the side, rather than jumping over it. Hence, the desk appears to have "moved."

Previous Damage: 54 pts.

Vale's Damage: 10 pts.

The fiend has taken 64 pts. damage, but he's still standing. However, he looks awfully concerned about the people around him, all intent on tearing him a new rear-end, if ya catch my drift. :)

P.S. The Sergeant charged the Little Guy, not the Captain.

No sooner does Vale finish his attack, than the city watchmen act; one, who has been enspelled by the fiend's fear aura, runs quickly out the front double doors. The other two attack.

The first guardsman (on the lower part of the map) charges "The Little Guy," also knocking aside some debris from the crushed furniture.

GM:
Guardsman (Little Guy):
3 pts. Power Attack (+4)
Charging (+6)
Sylvar (+7)
Roll = 24 (HIT)
Damage: 2d6+5 = 15 (-5 DR) = 10 pts. Damage.

As he charges the fiend, he brings his greatsword down in a vicious "down-cut" that rip's the fiend's flesh BETWEEN the plates! It is a horrible wound, which would have KILLED any thug on the street, yet the fiend remains poised to act!

The other guard performs a feat of amazing skill, or perhaps luck; he charges, making a one-arm assisted long jump over the corner of the judge's bench, ending his charge in a flanking position with the other guard! He strikes a solid blow, but the armored plates save the fiend from a grisly fate!

GM:
Guardsman (Little Guy):
Jump DC: 20 = 21 (SUCCESS!)
3 pts. Power Attack (+4)
Charging (+6)
Sylvar (+7)
Flanking (+9)
Roll = 24 (HIT)
Damage: 2d6+5 = 8 (-5 DR) = 3 pts. Damage.

The fiend has now taken a total of 77 pts. of damage!

The little nicks and cuts are taking their toll; but the fiend remains standing, through it all. He is now covered in oozing, green, gooey wounds, and hundreds of squirming, slimy maggots!

ROUND TWO:

Margull does not move, but says, "Young lass, please, hand me back my staff. I sense no evil in you. PLEASE, do not risk the lives of everyone here by attempting to activate my staff!"

GM:
Margull delays his action until Vega's turn, waiting to see what she will do. Strangely, it does not appear that he is preparing to stop her; instead, he is watching her, with a look of fascination, bordering on infatuation.

The Judge utters a cryptic incantation, waving his hands in a "shooing" motion, as he casts a spell at the Big Guy.

GM:
Caster Level Check: 14; Failure. The spell failed to bypass the fiend's spell resistance.

000-All-Rise-In-The-Courtroom-006.jpg

DEWYDD: It's Your Turn! What Do You Do?

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Using the momentum of my first few swings, I whip around quickly, bringing my sword across the midsection of the enemy. Two follow-up attacks miss as I am caught somewhat dizzy and off-balance.

OOC: 25 to-hit. 43 damage, pre-DR

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
BOOM! Goes The Little Guy!

GM:
DEWYDD: Your cut across the mid-section does a repeat performance of the guardsman's; you slide the blade along the fiend's skin BETWEEN the plates, ripping him open like a ripe tomato!!!

THE FIEND EXPLODES INTO A GREEN CLOUD OF GOO AND MAGGOTS! EVERYONE WITHIN 10 FEET IS COVERED BY THE FOUL CONCOCTION!

Dewydd = (2d6) = 4 pts. damage.

Vale = (2d6) = 8 pts. damage.

Lathir = (2d6) = 8 pts. damage.

Guardsman 1 = (2d6) = 6 pts. damage.

Guardsman 2 = (2d6) = 3 pts. damage.

Sgt of the Watch = (2d6) = 6 pts. damage.

Vega pays no heed to Margull; instead, she points the staff at the Big Fiend, and her eyes begin to glow an eerie blue!!

"Nechpa Oragumm, Helios!" she shouts!

LIGHTNING ERUPTS FROM THE STAFF, STRIKING THE BIG FIEND!!

GM:
DC To Activate Staff: 20
Vega's Roll = 39 (Exceptional Success)
Caster Level Check to break SR: Staff CL = 27
Staff's Roll = 43 (Exceptional Success)
The Staff BLOWS THROUGH the Spell Resistance of the Big Fiend, like it was NOTHING.
Fiend's Saving Throw (vs. Reflex DC 29): 27 (FAIL)

A bolt of PURE ELECTRICAL POWER blasts the fiend INTO OBLIVION. Nothing remains of him except a black spot of ash where he once stood.

GM:
Damage: 240
Fiend's Hit Pts: 184
Fiend's status after being struck: -56 (STONE COLD DEAD)

Margull acts; as his move action, he flies through the window, smashing it to pieces. He stops 10 feet outside the tower window, hovering in the air!

GM:
5d6 Damage from window = 21 pts. Margull does not even seem to notice the scrapes and scratches.

As Margull's standard action, he reaches out, and wills Vega to him; she flies through the air, and into his grasp!

GM:
Will save, DC:20 (Vega's save = 13, FAIL.)
Margull hurls Vega at himself. Adjusted Attack: +38; Trying to hit his Touch AC of 36; he wants Vega to come to him, so he drops his Dex adjustment, bringing his AC down to 20; He misses on a 1. (Roll = 53; HIT)
Margull Str Check to Catch Vega: --- Light Load = 605 lbs. vs. Vega total weight: 177 lbs. [Can catch on base DC, no penalties for weight.] DC: 15; (Roll = 28, Exceptional Success.)

Margull Says, "Hold on tight, my dear, it's a long way down. And please don't let go of my staff, either. You and I need to talk, in private, right now. You will not be harmed, but I have no time for polite invitations. This matter requires your immediate attention!"

GM:
Margull Diplomacy Check (Roll = 77)
Vega Sense Motive Opposed Roll (Roll = 8, No sense of treachery)
Vega Diplomacy Opposed Roll (Roll = 21, Fail, in the sense that Margull is very persuasive and charismatic, and Vega does not believe that she is in danger of any kind.)

Vega says, "Ok, we'll play it your way, as long as I can experiment further with your staff."

Margull nods, "Agreed."

Vega yells to the party, "I'm ok guys, I'm going to go have a private talk with the mayor. I'll be alright! Don't worry about me!"

LATHIR: It's your turn. What do you do?

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Battle's End

Margull and Vega fly away, to parts unknown.

GM:
As per party vote on the Facebook OOC channel, combat has come to an end. We are out of rounds.

GM:
A little injection of levity...

The Prosecuting Attorney, Sir Leonard Faulk, literally stood there during the entire combat, out of range of all attacks, fear effects, and spell effects, simply watching the events unfold.

Sir Leonard says, "Wow, that was fast. Almost as good as my old adventuring group. Bravo, chaps!" He then begins clapping enthusiastically.

GM:
The Judge (Sir Benton Fenwick) is a Cleric of Heironeous. He and Father Xavier begin to heal the injured party members. The entire process takes less than 24 seconds (4 rounds.) Everyone is now once again at full hit points.

The Judge says, somewhat sardonically, "This court now stands adjourned."

EVERYONE: What Do You Do?

Remove ads