GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen & Vale Leave The Court

OOC: Lathir had already departed the courtroom, albeit in disguise, and was waiting outside but still in the building. He is not privy to this information.

GM: You are correct, and since Sylvar followed you, he is not privy to it, either. But fear not, I'm sure the party will have a pow-wow soon, and everyone will get caught up. :)

RESPEN:
~ Scarlet Brotherhood...Scarlet Slayers...Riverboat Boys...names wholly unfamiliar to me...I will need to ask Laramon about them, or perhaps there are histories and local legends among the books and papers in his library...~

Respen is quiet as he walks outside the courtroom. He passes Lathir and Sylvar, remarking, "I cast a spell and left a message in it for Vega. The Judge suggests she is safe in the care of the Lord Mayor; I hope that is so. He is a strange bird for a leader of a community such as this. I told her that we would wait for her through tomorrow, and if she did not return or send a message to us, we'd come for her to see about her safety."

Respen continues, "I think we should go to the Inn, gather our things, and retire to Dewydd's manor, if he would have us. I have had misgivings about continuing to Skorane since Laramon's warning, and now especially so without Vega. If she is able to wield powerful staves such as the Lord Mayor's, that might give us an edge we need against not only what we know, but what we don't know as well. I understand you wish to be on our way to adventure, but can I persuade you to wait through at least the morrow? Surely we can find a little mischief to entertain ourselves here in town today. After all, we are two elves and a bear (Respen winks at Lathir). Add Gus to the mix, and I dare say we could right some wrongs or generally manage a little more mischief! Is there anything that you need or want to do? "

VALE:
~ A lot to ponder. ~

Vale leaves the courtroom, still smelling of the foul goo that Dewydd had magically cleaned off of him. "Imagine a dwarf needing a bath. Embarrassing to be that filthy."

Vale's mind flittered among the devil fiends they had just engaged, the Judge's words regarding the city and its challenges, and Vega with Lord Margull. He hoped that the lass had some fortitude and willpower. He listened to Respen's plea to remain in Dyvers. Dewydd had pointed the way to his home on the way from Caltaran. Close enough to the western gates of the city to have easy access, but far enough away to not be immediately in Dyvers' shadow. Vale would be pleased to rest in a more rustic setting. Caltaran was very much to his liking; the jury was still out on Dyvers. A city of thieves, mercenaries, and nobles, run by the undead. A hive, indeed, of scum and villainy.

"Respen, I made this detour because you all intended to explore Skorane and purify it of the undead filth that resides there. I'd like the lass back too, especially with her gifts. However, I'm not sure what shape she will be in when she comes back. I'll wait until tomorrow, but the day after, or sooner, we need to be on the road. I could use another day. It's already morning, and I know by evening that my feet will hurt."

~ Indeed, based on the glow of Able, my axe, I will take any interaction with Margull or his retainers with a healthy bucket of holy water. Ah, Able, yes, I owe you a bath of sorts also. ~

"Pardon me my friends, but I shall retire to the Inn, have a bath to remove this filth, say some late morning prayers, and close out the account for my room. I know the way to Dewydd's, and assuming he agrees, I shall gather my horse and be about getting to his home. I will meet you there with all of our preparations for Skorane. Based on what the Judge said, to leave objects of value out in the open is not a good idea here in the city. We have quite a few items to consider. "

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Walking out and hearing everyone speak of my home I smile, "Of course you all are welcome within my hall. I have more than enough rooms to spare. I have some business to take care of, so I will be heading back there presently."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Another day of preparation and contemplation...

GM:
Assuming that it is the intent of the entire party to retire to the mansion, I shall advance the timeline.

The courtroom drama of the 15th is over; the party takes the rest of the day off; It is now the morning of the following day: Patchwall 16, CY 963. 10:00 AM.

Current Location: Dewydd's Manor.

GM:

Please update your character sheets. I am assuming that errands were performed, meals were eaten, sleep was had, breakfast and bath (on the 16th) were had, spells (on the 16th) were memorized, etc.

Respen said:
~...I will need to ask Laramon about them, or perhaps there are histories and local legends among the books and papers in his library...~

Before retiring to Dewydd's mansion, Respen was able to stop by Laramon's and borrow three books; Laramon stops Respen, and casts a spell on the pile of books. He then tells his apprentice that he has 3 days to make use of these books, before they disappear, and re-appear back on his library shelf. He then hands you a scroll. "With my compliments," he says.

00 - Laramons Book Return.jpg

GM:
The books you have borrowed will give you a +5 reference bonus to your Knowledge, Local History check. If Sylvar reads them, they will also grant him a +5 reference bonus to his Bardic Knowledge check.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar reads the books.

GM:
You don't really need to read them cover to cover; they're like encyclopedias. You look up the topic or proper name that you want to know about, and read that section. Basically, you just need to make a Bardic Knowledge check, and having these books to use as a reference will give you a +5 on that check. So go ahead and roll. Your roll would be 1d20 + Int Mod + Bard Level + (Bonus +2 if you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge [History]) + 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Ok, since no one has replied in three days, I am going to advance the story. You can still post about relatively minor errands that you might have ran yesterday, retroactively, but such errands are now limited in scope to basic things only, i.e., no spell research, no long-winded chats with Lieutenant Benquist, etc.

Patchwall 16, CY 963, 10:15 AM:

Just as everyone is milling around in the front courtyard, wondering what the new day will bring, Vega comes riding up to the front gates on a City Guardsman's horse, as a passenger!

The guardsman stops the horse, dismounts, and helps Vega down. Without stopping to chat, he waves to Vega, mounts his horse again, and takes off, galloping back toward the city.

Vega opens the gate, and closes it again once she is in. (Dewydd had ordered that it be left unlocked.) She jogs quickly up to the party, and says, in an excited, breathless tone of voice: "Boys, have I got a story to tell all of you!"

Vega's Tale of Margull

Vega's mind is racing, and her mouth can barely keep up, as she spits out a raw, random-sounding story: "Margull has vanished! He had this globe, and with my help it started glowing, and then he freaked out, and jumped into a mirror! Then I read this book that was open on his desk, and there was this vampire that was supposed to be dead, but now he's alive, and my hunch is that Margull has gone to look for him, and at any rate, he says we're in charge until he gets back!"

At this point, Vega produces a scroll that bears the seal of the Lord Mayor. "He hastily wrote and signed this before he vanished," she says, as she hands the scroll to Respen.

EVERYONE: What Do You Do?

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"Catch your breath a moment Vega. That was quite the information dump!
Let's get you a drink and a chair, then we can go over this all again from the beginning and in greater detail."
I call for refreshments to be brought up and move upstairs to the courtyard's balcony.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen Responds To Vega

~ And the plot thickens…~

Respen is taken by mild surprise, but he tries hard not to show it. The redhead is back, and he finds himself strangely pleased that is the case.
It’s a strange feeling, given that Respen has known Vega for less than a month. What is that feeling? Relief? Travelling, dining, exploring, and fighting breeds a particular type of familiarity, and perhaps even intimacy. Given Respen’s travels, he was used to people coming and going. Yet he genuinely was worried with Vega disappeared. He was glad to see her.

As Dewydd orders refreshments, Respen looks down at the scroll, breaks the wax seal, and he lays the parchment on the table and begins to read it.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir -

"Margull jumped into a mirror? Hmm... I have heard of such items, very powerful traveling devices."

"Respen? What does the scroll read?"

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:

The scroll reads as follows:

"To my rightful steward and trusted agent, Lord Lieutenant Sir Areland Benquist: During my unexpected absence, which should last no more than a month at the longest, I am hereby placing Marcus Hunter, Lord High Sheriff, in command of the city's affairs until my return. Security for my office shall be handled by Vega Claessdatter, and her associates, Dewydd, Respen, Vale, Lathir, and Sylvar. Vega in particular has been asked to be the caretaker of both my mirror and my globe, my two most highly prized possessions. Signed, His Excellency, & Justicar of the Sails, Lord Mayor Margull the Just."

Vega calms down a bit, after she has had a pint of ale: "Oh, wow, have I got a story to tell you guys..."

Last edited:

Remove ads