GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale Interjects

GM:
The scroll reads as follows:
"To my rightful steward and trusted agent, Lord Lieutenant Sir Areland Benquist: During my unexpected absence, which should last no more than a month at the longest, I am hereby placing Marcus Hunter, Lord High Sheriff, in command of the city's affairs until my return. Security for my office shall be handled by Vega Claessdatter, and her associates, Dewydd, Respen, Vale, Lathir, and Sylvar. Vega in particular has been asked to be the caretaker of both my mirror and my globe, my two most highly prized possessions. Signed, His Excellency, & Justicar of the Sails, Lord Mayor Margull the Just."

Vega calms down a bit, after she has had a pint of ale: "Oh, wow, have I got a story to tell you guys..."

~ I did not see that coming. ~

Gus is extremely pleased to see Vega! He runs toward her, stopping short and turning a circle around her, pleased to see her.

Vale, to Gus: "Augustus! Leave the lady be. She is telling us important things. Yes, we shall take a walk toward the sea later. Relax Pup!"

Vale listens to the scroll being read, and as Respen is doing so, he positions himself so he can observe her neck, fingernails, the inside of her elbows, and her eyes, looking for the telltale signs of necrosis or undead affliction. He has his concerns, but he tries to be surreptitious about it. Perhaps things are as they seem. Yet he finds the nature of Vega's newfound position unusual to say the least. Margull has had no interaction with the rest of us, and but 24 hours at most with Vega.

~ Why in Clangeddin's beard would a figure like Margull rely on newcomers? Perhaps the Judge was not understating his concerns in his musings regarding Dyvers and its denizens? ~

"Vega, forgive an impudent dwarf such as myself. Look me in eye just a moment." Vale pauses. "Are. You. Alright?"

He eyes her closely, genuine concern, bordering on even worry, on his brow.

GM:
Vale, make a Spot check, flexible DC; the higher, the better.

OOC:
Rolz: 1d20+4 = 11; failed to notice anything per verbal conversation with DM

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
This section is told in narrative form, to save time with formatting.

Vega sits down, and relates a strange tale to the party; she says that Margull took her straight to his office, which he referred to as his "inner sanctum." She thought the term strange, since it was so anachronistic / rarely used in modern speech. She says that he wanted her to feel at ease, so they drank two bottles of wine together, while making small talk. She says that at some point, she must have fallen asleep; but when she woke, Margull was at his desk, reading from a large, ancient text. He was fiddling with some sort of crystal globe, to no visible result.

At that point, Margull asked her for her help; both he and Vega laid hands on the globe for several minutes. Finally, the globe sprang to life, glowing with a soft, white luminescence, which seemed to please Margull. He told Vega that the white glow meant that the intentions of those using it were pure, and that he was now certain that she could be trusted.

Margull revealed to Vega that the globe was very ancient, and among the most powerful of its kind. The globe had the power to locate the unlocatable, to reveal the most well-hidden secrets, and to know the unknowable. He tells Vega that the globe must be closely guarded, and not allowed to fall into sinister, or impure hands.

Vega then says that Margull began to ask questions of the globe, in an unknown tongue, which sounded very ancient in tone; how she knew this, she could not say. But the globe showed him things, she knew, because she watched his face; his expression was that of a man who was seeing things unfold, watching the action of others, and reacting with emotion. Margull seemed surprised by some of what he saw, angered by a small part of it, and frightened at the end, although Vega says that she sensed he was not frightened for himself, but rather, he was frightened on behalf of someone else.

Vega says that moments after peering into the globe, he retrieved a piece of parchment from his desk, and wrote the statement she just read; she says that his hand moved so fast, that it seemed that she couldn't see his hand at all, only a blur where his hand should have been. He then sealed the letter, handed it to her, mumbled something about "he must not be allowed to make more fledglings," before waving his hand in front of his mirror, summoning the image of a forest, and stepping into the mirror. While watching, Vega says she saw him appear at the edge of the forest, and rush into it. She says that she did not touch the mirror, and that it still displays the forest within it. She says it would probably be possible to follow him, if the party thought it wise.

Vega says that the ancient book is indecipherable, at least to her, but there are pictures in it which seem to be the portraits of vampires. All of them have pale white skin, just like Margull, and some of the portraits show the subjects displaying their fangs, and a few even show blood on the faces of the subjects, especially around the lips. Vega says that she suspects that Margull might also be a vampire, although she never noticed any fangs, and he appeared to be able to eat food and drink wine normally. Vega says that he never once tried to bite her, nor did he act awkward toward her at any point.

Vega says that the small talk over wine was mainly about how impressed he was with her ability, and how it amazed him that she was able to activate and use his staff properly, after handling it for only a few moments.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir Engages the Conversation

While watching, Vega says she saw him appear at the edge of the forest, and rush into it. She says that she did not touch the mirror, and that it still displays the forest within it. She says it would probably be possible to follow him, if the party thought it wise.
Lathir -
"I for one, absolutely, do not think that this is a wise choice of action. I would advise to stick to the original course. Whatever this Margull has thrown himself into, I am certain it will prove well beyond any of our current abilities."

on Vega: Sense Motive: 1d20+12 26

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen Replies

GM:
This section is told in narrative form, to save time with formatting.

Vega sits down, and relates a strange tale to the party; she says that Margull took her straight to his office, which he referred to as his "inner sanctum." She thought the term strange, since it was so anachronistic / rarely used in modern speech. She says that he wanted her to feel at ease, so they drank two bottles of wine together, while making small talk. She says that at some point, she must have fallen asleep; but when she woke, Margull was at his desk, reading from a large, ancient text. He was fiddling with some sort of crystal globe, to no visible result.

At that point, Margull asked her for her help; both he and Vega laid hands on the globe for several minutes. Finally, the globe sprang to life, glowing with a soft, white luminescence, which seemed to please Margull. He told Vega that the white glow meant that the intentions of those using it were pure, and that he was now certain that she could be trusted.

Margull revealed to Vega that the globe was very ancient, and among the most powerful of its kind. The globe had the power to locate the unlocatable, to reveal the most well-hidden secrets, and to know the unknowable. He tells Vega that the globe must be closely guarded, and not allowed to fall into sinister, or impure hands.

Vega then says that Margull began to ask questions of the globe, in an unknown tongue, which sounded very ancient in tone; how she knew this, she could not say. But the globe showed him things, she knew, because she watched his face; his expression was that of a man who was seeing things unfold, watching the action of others, and reacting with emotion. Margull seemed surprised by some of what he saw, angered by a small part of it, and frightened at the end, although Vega says that she sensed he was not frightened for himself, but rather, he was frightened on behalf of someone else.

Vega says that moments after peering into the globe, he retrieved a piece of parchment from his desk, and wrote the statement she just read; she says that his hand moved so fast, that it seemed that she couldn't see his hand at all, only a blur where his hand should have been. He then sealed the letter, handed it to her, mumbled something about "he must not be allowed to make more fledglings," before waving his hand in front of his mirror, summoning the image of a forest, and stepping into the mirror. While watching, Vega says she saw him appear at the edge of the forest, and rush into it. She says that she did not touch the mirror, and that it still displays the forest within it. She says it would probably be possible to follow him, if the party thought it wise.

Vega says that the ancient book is indecipherable, at least to her, but there are pictures in it which seem to be the portraits of vampires. All of them have pale white skin, just like Margull, and some of the portraits show the subjects displaying their fangs, and a few even show blood on the faces of the subjects, especially around the lips. Vega says that she suspects that Margull might also be a vampire, although she never noticed any fangs, and he appeared to be able to eat food and drink wine normally. Vega says that he never once tried to bite her, nor did he act awkward toward her at any point.

Vega says that the small talk over wine was mainly about how impressed he was with her ability, and how it amazed him that she was able to activate and use his staff properly, after handling it for only a few moments.

~ I think Laramon should know about this. ~

"Vampires?" Respen thought about his only observation (it really wasn't an interaction) of Margull in the courtroom. "How did he tolerate the daylight if he was undead?" Respen paced as Vega spoke. To Lathir's comments he nodded to himself. This was likely bigger than they were at the moment. The mirror interested him greatly. Of course it did; he was addicted to all things magical. However, he found himself mentally pin-balling from Margull to the political situation in Dyvers. In light of the Judge's comments, he wondered aloud about the repercussions of Margull's absence. Clearly, Margull was powerful enough, respected enough, or simply feared enough to win the fealty of his subjects. In his absence, however....

He thought for a moment, and curiosity got the better of him..."Vega, could I see this mirror?"

He walks to where he would have line of sight to Laramon's tower, were it close enough to see. He casts the transmutation a second time in as many days, thinking about Laramon's tower and library. "Laramon, it's Respen. Margull has gone through a magic mirror. We think he's looking for a vampire. Marcus in charge. Vega guarding his personal office."

GM:
Had to alter your last statement slightly;
He sent the letter to Benquist, but only to inform him that Marcus was in charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale speaks again...

~ Vampires! That makes sense. Margull must be one. Takes one to know one, yes? Should probably keep an eye on this one. ~

Vale's axe had given it away. Margull must be undead. Clearly powerful and clearly in charge of his faculties.

~ Margull, I hope for this place's sake that you are not the monster that I believe you are. Clearly, even for powerful vampires, working alone comes with a downside. No wonder the city is at its wit's end. I wonder who else knows your secret. You took a chance allowing this girl even the faintest hint at discovering your secrets, magical clairvoyance aside. So perhaps there is more to you than fangs and an elaborate ruse. ~

"Vega, do you mean to follow him? Or will you do as he asked you, and guard his effects. I will tell you all something. My axe, Able, has the ability to root out the undead. It turns blue when they are near. It turned blue in the courtroom. I thought for a moment it might have been something related to the devil-spawn springing up from the prisoners, and that Able was demonstrating a new power. I do not believe now that is the case. I believe it is Margull. I don't know what his angle is, but he clearly has taken a chance with allowing you this access. So either this is all a trap, or it is the request for assistance it appears to be. Either way, he appears a bit desperate, not something normally associated with vampires unless they are at the business end of a powerful magic weapon or a wooden stake.

I too, want to see this mirror. However, following him through it, not knowing what's on the other side, is absolutely the last thing we should do. He told you to guard his effects. I think you should take him at his word. That is my contribution to this discussion. A moment, if you would indulge me.
"

Reminded of his promise to Able, Vale turns abruptly, and he paces about 20 feet away. He draws the axe, and he observes it for any sign of blueness. Regardless of seeing any, he mentally gives his permission for the axe to draw energy from him. It's time, and he doesn't want to make Able wait any longer.

OOC: Vale only allows enough energy for the axe to be satisfactorily charged up. He does not allow carte blanche to charge it with his entire current abundant experience.

GM:
When the axe senses that you are holding back, it goes dormant. You get the feeling that it's an all or nothing proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Respen gets a return message (via the Sending spell) from Laramon:

"To trust a neophyte like Vega with something like this indicates she has some special ability or purpose, in all of this. Use caution, Respen!"

After about a minute, Respen receives another message:

"If Vega has a special role to play, you must protect her! The Mayor's not a villain, but he's mixed up in some dangerous dealings!"

After the second message, there is nothing more.

GM:
You may, however, respond briefly to the last message, without having to cast anything, as long as your response is 36 words or less.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen gets a return message (via the Sending spell) from Laramon:

"To trust a neophyte like Vega with something like this indicates she has some special ability or purpose, in all of this. Use caution, Respen!"

After about a minute, Respen receives another message:

"If Vega has a special role to play, you must protect her! The Mayor's not a villain, but he's mixed up in some dangerous dealings!"

After the second message, there is nothing more.

GM:
You may, however, respond briefly to the last message, without having to cast anything, as long as your response is 36 words or less.

In response to Laramon's Sending, Respen replies, "I wish to explore Margull's office and library. Once Vega protected, some or all of us to Skorane. Disagreement in group on next move. Will contact again to update. Good day. "

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Vega says, "Although the letter says that we are asked to guard his office, the only person SPECIFICALLY asked to do an INDIVIDUAL task, i.e., guarding the mirror and the globe, was me. If you'd all like to go to Skorane, I'll stay here and hold down the fort, so to speak. All that I ask is that Gus be allowed to stay here also, so I don't get lonely, and last but not least, that you all stay safe and well, and return quickly."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir -
"I have been in a city far longer than I care to be. I have a need to move on. It might as well be toward a purpose like cleansing Skorane. I am ready to leave, at this moment. I need nothing further, here."

Remove ads