GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:

Respen: I am assuming these conversations are taking place either where you met at the cross-roads, or perhaps back at Dewydd's manor. Be sure to mention those details in your next post, as you explain what you know about the mirror.

Your uncle once had such a mirror, and you know its functions, even if your memory is slightly sketchy.

000 - Mirror of Mental Prowess.jpg

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen Acts...

~ This is the way. ~

Respen, clearly excited at the prospect of travelling magically, says, "Then the mirror is what we shall do. We should bring our horses to Margull's. If I may be so bold, perhaps one of Dewydd's retainers can return them to Moseby Manor, or perhaps they can remain at Margull's, if he has stables. I didn't see them when I was there earlier because I wasn't paying attention.

Either way, we need our gear, so we should walk into the mirror with as much as we can, and then drop the heaviest gear on the spot should we be so inclined. It will mark the location of the portal.
As to the command word, perhaps we can rely on Vega. He left it in her care, and it appears that she is capable of using it, even if she isn't fully aware of what it does. I think we can bootstrap this such that it will be effective for our purposes.
"

He leads his horse purposefully back to Margull's, unpacks the relevant tools and gear, and re-enters the building, acknowledging the perplexed looks on the guards' faces. He moves up the stairs and into Margull's "inner sanctum".

"Vega, we are back. We have an idea." Respen explains the goal: scry reconnaissance and infiltration of Skorane using his anecdotal knowledge of how the mirror works, any abilities or knowledge of all of the party members, as well as her extraordinary gifts with magic devices, and exfiltration of the same with her guarding the portal.

He finds the relevant tomes and maps among Margull's things, and he sets about inspecting the mirror without touching it just yet. Respen records any markings on the mirror that point to where Margull went, writing them down on parchment, and then he attempts to decipher the same for Skorane. He peppers Vega with questions about what instructions Margull may have verbally left with her about the mirror or the crystal orb.

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Respen, clearly excited at the prospect of travelling magically, says, "Then the mirror is what we shall do."

He leads his horse purposefully back to Margull's...
Lathir -
"I will meet you there. I do not wish to leave Angus confined while I am away. Should some ill fate befall me, the bear should be able to return to its natural habitat. I will take him outside the city. I am sure that I will be able to reconnect with him when I return.

Sugarfoot and the rented horse are domesticated. I will colect them and then lead them to Margull's
."

With that, Lathir departs.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:

Lathir releases Angus into the Gnarley Forest. Lathir senses that Angus will remain in the area, awaiting his master's return.

The party leads their horses to Margull's; Margull's tower does indeed have a small stable area in the rear, enough to accommodate the party's mounts. Upon inspection of Vega's letter, the stablemaster says he will be glad to be of service to any appointee of the Lord Mayor. The animals shall be well cared-for.

The party gathers in Margull's Inner Sanctum. Vega tells Respen that she can easily re-open the gate that Margull went through, because of her "connection" to the mirror. She also says that she can scry on the village of Skorane with ease, because Maxwell's description was so thorough.

Vega waves her hand in front of the mirror, using a clockwise, circular motion. The surface of the mirror ripples, like a pebble thrown into a still pond. When the ripple subsides, the mirror is showing a shady glade, in the midst of a ruined village; dilapidated huts and cottages are everywhere, and at the end of what looks to be the major street, is a large water well, next to a large, barren, leafless oak.

Vega says that she hears voices nearby, so she expands the mirror's view by zooming out; near the well is a comely woman with bat wings and a barbed tail, clad in leather armor. Talking to her are 6 red-skinned orcs wearing chainmail shirts, carrying falchions. They are dressed identically to the ones who were riding the Manticores.

"You dummies are no fun. You never disagree with anything I say. All you can say is..." she begins.

"Yes, mistress," one of the orcs says.

As this is happening, Vega notices a small Halfling, hiding in the trees about 100 feet from the well, intently examining something. It's hard to make out details about the Halfling, because he is so well-hidden amidst the foliage. The mirror highlights the tree next to the Halfling in red. Ghostly red runes appear next to the tree, obviously meant to inform the user of the mirror of something important.

The woman and the orcs seem to be unaware of the Halfling's presence.

GM:
Anyone looking at the mirror may make a Spellcraft check DC 15, or a Use Magic Device check of 25, to understand what the runes mean.

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam-Tam, frustrated by the sparkling sand and surmising that it is some form of magical alarm, begins to move away when he hears the voices. He hears the conversation that passes between what can only be Orcs, by their guttural abuses of the Common tongue and a female that speaks in sultry tones even in her petulance. There is a particular inflection to her words that he does not recall ever hearing before, and his innate curiosity takes over Moving as silently as he can, he tries to get a better look.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
OOC: Spellcraft Check: 1d20 = 18 + 11(skill) = 29

Looking into the mirror, Lathir also states,

"Do not linger the view on that demon long. She may be able to sense that she is being skried."

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"... A red orc is a dead orc, in my opinion. Quick game plan - buff up, kill the winged one, then focus down the orcs one at a time. I'm stepping into the hallway to get ready. It doesn't look like that halfling is with them, but we should still be on our toes." I whisper quietly before moving out into the hallfway and away from the mirror.

OOC: I'll buff with Abjurant Armor, Shield, and Protection from Evil before going back into the room to charge through the mirror and start combat.

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar follows Dewyyd into the hall, he walks over to him, puts his hand on his shoulder and speaks a short bit of Nippon Prose, casting Cats Grace on him.

Nine breaths, one body
The Grace of a Cat imbued.
Undeterred by threat

Sylvar returns to the room with the mirror. His countenance is one of grim determination, he is fully aware of the danger the group is about to walk into. He puts on the cloak of Major Displacement he strings his bow and notches one arrow, he also eases the Naginata in its leather sling on his back, loosening it in case he must draw it quickly.

As the others prepare to enter the Mirror he begins to chant, Its something old, almost unintelligible, but the words are familiar enough to be understood. His intention is to Inspire Courage.

Bravery my boys, bravery rules the day
Our foe awaits with bloody intent
Its them or us, us or them
Only one will remain
Brothers endure on courage
On our tenacity our sisters stand
Mothers and Fathers dependant on daring
Have courage, be steadfast, gird yourselves.
On our bravery we all stand, on our weakness we all fall.

OOC: Cats Grace: The transmuted creature becomes more graceful, agile, and coordinated. The spell grants a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, adding the usual benefits to AC, Reflex saves, and other uses of the Dexterity modifier.

GM:
Because of the angle at which the polearm must rest to be carried on your back, it will not fit through the mirror, unless you intend to wield it while passing through.

GM:
Bonus XP:

+150 for the cool Haiku

+150 for the ballad

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
With such high rolls, everyone realizes that the trees are part of a complex network of enchanted vegetation that forms a large, elaborate Alarm spell.

Before Dewydd can carry out his plan, Vega asks: "Would you like me to zoom in first? With this view, you will be many feet from the winged woman and her minions. But if I zoom in, you can appear right in front (or behind) her."

GM:
Zooming in will give Dewydd (only, since he will be the first to go through) a +2 Initiative Bonus, and a +2 Attack Bonus, even on top of the +2 he would get from charging. But all of that is assuming that she fails to notice the scrying sensor.

Current Locations:

00 - Skorane Map 001b.jpg

Remove ads