• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

grillin' time: what's your favorite grub?

The Luther Burger*
One pound beef cut into two patties.
Four slices of cheese (two to a patty).
Eight strips of bacon.
Kickin' Louisiana barbecue sauce.
And for the buns, two Krispy Kreme donuts.

*Ryan Nock variant. Traditional Luthers have grilled onions and one single patty.

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
RangerWickett said:
The Luther Burger*
One pound beef cut into two patties.
Four slices of cheese (two to a patty).
Eight strips of bacon.
Kickin' Louisiana barbecue sauce.
And for the buns, two Krispy Kreme donuts.[/size]

My heart hurts just reading this.

mcgeedis

First Post
Favorite is Delmonico Steak seasoned with salt, pepper, and thin brushing of garlic olive oil, cooked to medium rare over hot coals (propane is the grillmasters bane!).

Coals need to be lit with either electric starter or the smoke can - no lighter fluid for true taste.

Chicken is the great over flame - 2nd best method of cooking chix (#1 is frying).

This is a good recipe for 4-6 guests: http://www.recipezaar.com/4684 Go flank IMHO.

Grilled Veggies are grrreat!

Ahhh... I love spring.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I always start with burgers... They're quick, they keep the kids happy while everything else cooks, and they do a good job of greasing up the grill, which keeps the fish and chicken from sticking (for some reason, I've always had a problem with fish and chicken sticking to my grill ).

The reason behind starting with sausage is similar- typically, they have a higher fat content than reguar meats, so they also do a good job of releasing fats into the cooking environment.

Where they beat burgers is in speed- most (not all) sausages are pre-cooked, so all you need do is heat them up enough to get some grill marks on them. I can do multiple packages of sausage in the time it takes to do a set of burgers.

And these days, we typically eat our grilled sausages hotdog style- on a bun with condiments. A nice polish sausage, beer brat or Earl Campbell's Hot-Link, for instance, is just the right length, is a bit plumper, and is highly seasoned, making for a damn fine meal when dressed with sauteed onions, mustard and whatever else your cholesterol-clogged heart desires. The only time I eat real hot-dogs these days is when I go to a baseball game.

Of course, if you don't care for dogs or sausages...burgers are just fine!

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Umbran said:
I have seen a vicious argument arise over this before, so let me mention...

Mahi-mahi is also known as "dolphin-fish". He's not talking about the happy, playful mammal.

Heh, I went to a restaurant once where the waitress mentioned they'd stopped serving mahi-mahi because it freaked people out, even after explaining that it was dolphin FISH.

pbartender said:
Wow... You guys wait for the weather to grill?

My parents grill out in the winter all the time, though there's a bit of running in and out.

Brad

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Steaks. I loves me some grilled steaks.

Unfortunately with my dad's passing, my mom is getting rid of our friller, so that smashes all hopes of ever eating another grilled steak. :(

Hijinks

First Post
BBQ ribs all the way. Pork, country-style.

I was born in Bangkok and we had a nanny named Noi. She gave our family this killer recipe for BBQ sauce. It's friggin fantastic and we guard it with our lives. My husband got it written down on our 1 year anniversary (the "paper" one :D)

Simmer the ribs in sauce for 2+ hours, then bake for an hour or so, then throw on the grill for caramelization and nummy goodness. Mmm... ribs ...

Remove ads