[GRIM TALES] Wulf Ratbane's SLAVELORDS of CYDONIA

ragboy

Explorer
T. Rawley flips his cigarette into the brush.

"I agree with Hambrick," he says. "I've seen too many men, good horsemen mind, drown in river crossings."

To Hambrick: "I'd be happy to scout ahead with you, padre."

nakia

First Post
"Brig wants to head to da river now, so dat's da way we should go. I don't wanna head down no giant cat trail, either."

ragboy

Explorer
T. Rawley shakes his head and looks out across the slow moving river.

"Well," he says. "Someone could go across with a rope and we could tie it up on both ends. Whoever has to swim can drag themselves across on that."

He looks to Briggita. "I'll defer to the group, though I'm still against it. These rivers down here are crawling with snakes and worse things."

He gestures to the preacher: "We're all pretty well armed, and I'm sure the Padre has tangled with a cat or two on his travels. I don't expect that it'll be a problem."

Fenris

Adventurer
While the discussion is ongoing, Haskins will cut a stout sapling, as loong as he can find, and start wading on foot into the river at the crossing, probing ahead with the pole to test the depth and current to gauge how effecatious the crossing would be for man or horse.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Fenris said:
While the discussion is ongoing, Haskins will cut a stout sapling, as loong as he can find, and start wading on foot into the river at the crossing, probing ahead with the pole to test the depth and current to gauge how effecatious the crossing would be for man or horse.

Let's break this down so we can move along.

The river is deep and the current not what one would describe as "strong." Nevertheless the horses will have to make a DC10 Swim check. Because the horses are not trained swimmers, they cannot take 10.

A rider can make a Ride or Handle Animal skill check (DC10) to urge the horse forward, and if this succeeds, the horse will get +2 to his check.

A horse that is moderately encumbered (231-459 lbs.) takes a -6 penalty to its Swim check. (I don't think any horse would be heavily encumbered, but that's a -12 penalty.)

If you fail by 4 or less, you make no forward progress.

If you fail by 5 or more, you go under.

nakia

First Post
Can those without horses just take 10 to swim across? If so, that's what Teddy will do. He'll volunteer to take a rope over to the other side as well.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
nakia said:
Can those without horses just take 10 to swim across? If so, that's what Teddy will do. He'll volunteer to take a rope over to the other side as well.

If you don't have at least 1 rank in Swim, you cannot take 10. That doesn't mean you can't swim, it just means you can't take 10.

Taking a rope across is a fine idea and will pretty much insure that nobody is going to drown.

Horses, obviously, can't make any use of the rope.

How much rope will it require? Something a bit less than what you have.

Fenris

Adventurer
Since we're in a jungle any nice stout vines we can use to supplement our meager rope supply?

Haskins is willing to tie the rope around him and swim across. Let Teddy hold the other end.

Remove ads