[GRIM TALES] Wulf Ratbane's SLAVELORDS of CYDONIA

ragboy

Explorer
Hambrick said:
"The path splits here. And... the paving stones clearly headed to the river. Must have been a bridge at one time. But there's also a path heading into the trees on the other side. I'm not sure what it means, but we're going to have to decide whether we want to cross the river and follow the old road south, or follow this newer, cruder path east."

"Does the river look passable there?" T. Rawley asks. "We could probably swim okay on our horses, but those afoot will have problems."

After thinking a moment: "If it was a bridge that's out, that trail may lead to a more passable ford."

OOC: Where did we actually come down into the valley? West side? I remember talk about staying away from the marsh, but I'm not sure if I got where we actually are...(sorry for the non-red...work browser is kinda dumb.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
How wide is the river at this point? Not too wide.

How fast is the current? Not too fast.

Could horses cross? They could swim, with some coaxing, and I make no promises that they're going to like it.

ragboy said:
Where did we actually come down into the valley? West side?

Yes, on the west side. You are heading west-east, up the river, up the valley, towards the marsh.

No sneaky peeking into your copy of the adventure, details are "fluid." :]

Fenris

Adventurer
ragboy said:
"Does the river look passable there?" T. Rawley asks. "We could probably swim okay on our horses, but those afoot will have problems."

After thinking a moment: "If it was a bridge that's out, that trail may lead to a more passable ford."

OOC: Where did we actually come down into the valley? West side? I remember talk about staying away from the marsh, but I'm not sure if I got where we actually are...(sorry for the non-red...work browser is kinda dumb.

Haskins:
"My gut says to follow the old path across the river. Old paths are the surest and usually fastest route to your destination, though they are prone to more dangers. But I must agree with Mr. Sutton. If we we all on horse this might be a place to cross, but with some on foot, I think we need to follow the jungle path. Although we could cross two at a time and send back two horses and a rider to ferry the others across, or double up, not Mr. Carlyle obviously."

How many horses do we have? I'm thinking 4, Me, Sutton, Hambrick, and Brown, right?

ragboy

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:

Yes, on the west side. You are heading west-east, up the river, up the valley, towards the marsh.

No sneaky peeking into your copy of the adventure, details are "fluid." :]

OOC: You besmirch my honor, Sir! Name the time, place and your seconds!

Seriously (gotta stop reading Dumas 'til 3am)... I thought we might have gone down the East side and got distracted by the road and are heading _into_ the marsh. I was going to mention that since everyone had specifically said that the marsh would be bad.

ragboy

Explorer
T. Rawley rolls another cigarette and lights it, saying around his first exhale, "I was going to suggest that we cross double, or a couple of us could ride up that new trail a ways and see if we can get an idea where it leads."

OOC: Assuming that the newer path is visible to all of us at the moment, does it look constricted? Meaning, that if we all got in there, we'd be single file and closed in by brush the whole way?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
ragboy said:
OOC: Assuming that the newer path is visible to all of us at the moment, does it look constricted? Meaning, that if we all got in there, we'd be single file and closed in by brush the whole way?

The jungle path looks like a game trail. It would indeed by single file most of the way.

To answer the other question, to my knowledge only Brigitta and Teddy don't have horses (not that the option wasn't made available to them).

Old One

First Post
Brigitta

Brigitta chews on the ends of her hair for a few moments, frowning.

"We are seeking an ancient temple and the old stone path might very well lead to such. Traipsing off along what might be nothing more than a glorified animal path seems unwise, particularly if a certain great cat is lurking along it. I am not confident in my ability to swim across a river, however gentle it may appear, but would be fine crossing on horseback."

She closes her eyes for a moment, wishing she had taken Mr. Hambrick's advice on obtaining a mount earlier in their expedition, but she hadn't thought it proper that she should ride whilst Teddy walked alone.

"I am willing to entertain alternatives, but I am for following the path and crossing the river with cautious haste."

~ OO

Old One

First Post
Brigitta [OOC]

OOC: I will be offline for most of the next 2 days. I will be able to check-in around mid-day today and then probably not until around midnight on Saturday. Try not to get Brigitta killed while I am away ;)!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I will also be "otherwise engaged" until Sunday. Bachelor party! :D

For the rest of you, although Brigitta is nominally the "leader" of this expedition, each and every one of you was hired for your counsel.

The GM awaits a group consensus-- which could include, as Teddy has done, something along the lines of, "I follow where Brigitta leads."

solomoncane

First Post
Hambrick: "Assuming this part of the river once had a bridge, it may well be deeper than it looks. Then again, the river could have changed in those years, for better or worse.

Given the Fallen nature of Man after Adam, it could also be that these stones were laid by devious men bent on leading the unsuspecting into a trap.

I'd advise we look for a place where other people or animals might regularly ford the river. I know the trail looks tight, but I'd rather be able to fight while we move than be helpless while crossing what might be a deep river."

[OOC: I'll be out of touch this weekend as well. My opinion is to not cross the river here, but I'll go along with the group majority.]

Remove ads