grodog's review of Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works

RFisher

Explorer
I do hate the really "Earthy" names of so many of the NPCs, and I'm a little worried that all my name-changes might get a little hard to track during play, but other than that, this module is a thing of beauty.

To bad he never repeated the brilliance of B2 in that area: Completely leave naming (or not naming) the NPCs up to the DM/group.

grodog

Hero
LOL. Well, in addition to the review portions, it also includes info on the history of Greyhawk Castle publishing, and some other contexutal info. So, strictly-speaking, it's probably about 35% essay conent, 65% review content, and of that 65%, probably about 75% is review, and 25% is comparative context of CZ:UW vs. other signature mega-dungeon products.

In any event, here's my summary:

Summarizing Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works

I think that CZ:UW is an a excellent beginning for the core of the Castle Zagyg product line, and am hopeful that the problems that do exist within it can be corrected successfully in future releases---which I am definitely looking forward to reading and DMing!

• Greyhawk Heritage: 7.5
• As a Non-Greyhawk Mega-Dungeon: 8.0
• Adventure Design and Writing: 8.5
• Editing and Proofreading: 9.0
• Layout: 7.5
• Art: 7.5
• Cartography: 6.5

And the summary scores:
• Greyhawk Overall: 7.75 (all scores minus non-GH)
• Non-Greyhawk Mega-Dungeon Overall: 7.83 (all scores minus GH)
• Production Values Overall: 7.63 (drops GH, non-GH, Adventure Design)

That help, Mistwell? :D :D

Raven Crowking

First Post
LOL. Well, in addition to the review portions, it also includes info on the history of Greyhawk Castle publishing, and some other contexutal info. So, strictly-speaking, it's probably about 35% essay conent, 65% review content, and of that 65%, probably about 75% is review, and 25% is comparative context of CZ:UW vs. other signature mega-dungeon products.

Best. Review. Ever.

Sir, you do not need to change your review method.

RC

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Best. Review. Ever.

Sir, you do not need to change your review method.

RC

The simplified review should read: "I know what I'm talking about way better than you. So if I say 'buy it,' then you should just buy it."

Or something to that effect.

Anyway, judging by how many people are running this thing in C&C, 1E, 1E plus Houserules, 4E, and probably other systems, I'd say it's pretty versatile. I'm chomping at the bit to run it, and converting -- something I've never enjoyed or been very good at it -- has been a surprising pleasure.

Remove ads