group age range (how low can you go)??

ruy343

Explorer
My father taught me to play AD&D when I was 8. I remember fondly the adventures our family would have around the dinner table on Sunday evenings after church, though I also remember that it can't have been easy for my dad at times, given our age and proneness to have tantrums when the dice didn't go our way (or a sibling wouldn't be nice to us in-game - my older brother has asperger's, so... you know...).

We started playing the game to help my older brother get better at communication though, and it did help him to learn to talk out his thought process and work as a team. It also provided an opportunity to see how people might react to his behavior in a safe environment.

But even more importantly, our family played together this way on Sunday evenings for years and years afterward, off and on. I still play, and I invite people of any age group to join in the fun. I'm 27 now, and I've DM'd for kids and adults of all ages (youngest being 4, oldest being 50 or so). Here are some recommendations for different age groups:

Below age 10:
-Attention spans are limited - keep the game as a whole to an appropriate length (8-10 mins per year of age the child has is a rough guideline)
-Let the players have the ability to adjust the game's outcome without rolling dice - some "hero tokens" or something that a player can use to change the game when they insist that what you're telling them isn't quite right. An abbreviated favorite moment of mine - Me: "You enter the cave, and you see a locked door: what do you do?" 4-year-old: "I find a key!" Me: "Tell ya what: give me one of those hero tokens, and you totally find a key". 4-year-old: "Squee!"
-Don't kill the characters - not without a good reason. Often, they're emotionally attached to them, and watching them get killed kills a little part of their soul. They're not ready for that yet.
-Don't be afraid to correct their behavior at the table - this is a teaching moment for how to behave like an adult.
-Let them walk away from the table when they get bored. Just keep playing.
-Avoid dark themes - let them be heroes

Teenagers:
-Prohibit evil characters. D&D should not provide an angsty teenager an opportunity to take out his teenage hormonal frustrations on the adults and NPCs at the table. Instead, treat it as an opportunity to learn about teamwork and communication.
-Talk to them like adults
-Don't let them talk over the more patient, softspoken people at the table - ask them to wait and listen to what a player might have to say if that player hasn't spoken up in a while.

All this aside, talk to everyone at the table about how they're feeling. If a particular player (young or old) is presenting a problem for the others at the table, speak to that player privately, and talk to them about how they can better roleplay their character (which is you secretly telling them not to be a jerk to the others).

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
In my game if you aren't at least 21 sorry. We engage in adult activities during our game nights and its not a fitting place for a kid. Indulging in intoxicants, etc. But we rare a tight group of friends and don't have strangers game, even little Timmy couldn't make the cut.

I assumed the parent was one of your fellow gamers, but it’s sounding like that’s not the case. If you’re hosting, then you’re doubly within your rights to say that people that young aren’t allowed.

I don't want to exclude anyone, although having a 14 year old boy come over to my house and spend hours in the basement with other people I don't really know that well makes me uneasy.

Would it make a difference if it was a 14 year old girl? That's just creepy.

As I said, if I hosted at a public location like library, game store etc. it wouldn't be as big a deal.

practicalm

Explorer
I run a game at the Long Beach (CA) Unitarian Universalist Church. I won't turn down any players and we range from 10 to 50 at different times. The 10 year old and her brothers moved away so the youngest now is 12 and her father plays too.

I've had to limit teenagers from playing evil characters and they eventually decided if they couldn't grief the party they wouldn't play.

I keep the game PG to PG-13 for descriptions of violence and sexual situations with a fade to black as needed. Unitarian Universalist churches are big on OWL (Our Whole Lives) which is a strong program sex education so we keep it clean but acknowledge the existence of sex.

S

Sunseeker

Typically, I don't like to go under 18 because I like to include sex in my games and some younger folks parents get upset over that.

But otherwise I'll play with anyone who loves the game and isn't a jerk, I really don't care how old they are, as long as they're mentally competent.

EDIT: I should add, I do run with this one 15-year-old kid in my groups, he's about as mature as any 15-year-old is, but he knows the rules darn well.

Last edited:

CydKnight

Explorer
Our group is quite diverse age-wise: 10, 11, 26, 48, 48, and 65+

It seems to work so far as we are on our 5th session in as many weeks with this current group.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My Tiamat group had a grandfather in it and went all the way down to a 3-year-old showing up sometimes.

The 3-year-old's dad was a player in the group. We let the child roll damage dice. We stopped letting her roll attacks because she didn't know her numbers yet, so she didn't understand the difference between a good attack roll and a bad one - no idea what she did "wrong" sometimes. But with damage, more is always better, and some is good too. Watching her roll a d20 the size of her fist, getting a '20' and the internal lights flashed - cool fun!

We had two parents (including me), one grandparent, three college students, one high school student - all regulars. Plus a varying number of guests who were about college-age but not attending.

Because the group was also the FLGS's "Welcome to D&D" group, I had to make it work without being rude or age-inappropriate to anybody.

pogre

Legend
Our appx. group age is mid to late 30's (some older) -had a new player join us, turns out he's 14!

From first session seems like a nice young man and had fun, but situation bothers me.

Our games are really casual and fun, and we don't have any particular adult storylines and so on. Still, he's 14!

I can't help but think he'd be a better fit playing with friends or at a local game store or something. I usually wouldn't exclude anyone as long as they obeyed the 'social contract'. Still, it just doesn't seem right to me.

I still wonder how he joined the group? If he showed up as a result of a post at a game store or something, I would boot him. Clearly, the situation is making you uncomfortable. If it is another player's relative, then I would not worry about it.

Remove ads