• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Group names

Numion

First Post
Helping Hands

It's kinda sarcastic since we seem to bring more harm than help :cool: Possible logo could be two hands - one reaching f or the purse and another stabbing in the back ;)

hong

WotC's bitch
The Shaman said:
In our tabletop Modern game, the adventurers have not adopted a name for themselves, but the bad guys tend to refer to them as the Trespassers, as in, "Kill the trespassers!"

If they ever put out a single, I'd buy it.

lior_shapira

Explorer
Our current Eberron group is named... The Undead Mechanical Werewolves

We were playing 'shadows of the last war', we were in a dungeon and the half orc barbarian heard wolf sounds, so my ultra-cynical kalashtar character said something like "The way things are going I know those are undead mechanical werewolves" and he looked at me and said "Really?" with such belief in his eyes that we decided then and there that we have found a name :)

Our last group (which I DM'ed) was in the Midnight(FFG) campaign, and after fighting their way out of an orcish prison using only a bucket they called themselves The Bucketeers, I even designed a logo for them (http://midnight.liors.net/images/the-bucketeers.gif)

lior

edit: spelling mistakes damn me

Mixmaster

Explorer
The group I'm DM'ing:

The Crusaders of the Light

Previous Names:

The Clan
Delvers in the Dark
Famous Supreme Team (DC Heroes)
F.O.R.C.E (Fighting Off Really Cruel Evil)

Gez

First Post
Typically, we start without a name, then after a couple of adventures we start naming ourselves "the Puny Losers" or "Everybody's Favorite Puppets" or some other name of the same kind... ;)

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I love it when my players come up with group names. I think it adds a certain amount of flair and excitement. I give extra XPs, too, so it works out pretty well.

Rawhide

First Post
Most of the groups I play with end up namaing their group, generally after the first few games.

I've been part of the Warriors of Dawn, the Raiders of Rappan, the Five, the Six (unrelated, oddly), the Heratics, the Loyal Opposition, the Matadores of Maya, and the Spellknights, just off the top of my head.

Normally names come up in play, often when we're joking around over pizza.

I think it adds a sense of community among players,. which is important to getting the right feel for a game.

Algolei

Explorer
Group names are fun. I like using them. But apparently you need to be a special kind of snowflake to use them properly.

Let's see, there was: "We are X." Draws a cross in the dirt with his big toe. "We mark the spot."

I've also done: "We're the Five*"--holds up his five fingers, wiggling his ring finger--"I'm this one."

There were more, but those are the best.

My nephews tried to come up with group names. They would each write a word in secret on a slip of paper, then gather them together and read them aloud. It never worked. The best group name they ever came up with that way was The Yellow Faeries (they were all elves). (Yes, one of them wrote "The" on his piece of paper. :D )

*This was back in '81-'84. The group was called the Five because (*gasp!*) there were five of them. We were so clever....

NeuroZombie

Explorer
Great thread! I am about to start an Eberron campaign next weekend and I am planning on "nudging" the players into naming their group by being asked by various NPC's who they are or "what do you call yourselves". So far, from this thread, I have compiled a list of starting points for naming a group:

The Order of....
The Company of...
The Companions of...
The Band of...
The Seekers of...
The Walkers of...
The Blades of...
The Circle of...
The Crusaders of...
The Warriors of...
The Raiders of...

(obviously adding a "the" if applaicalbel after "of")

Any others you can think of?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
This is where a high CHR comes to play, if the party does not have a name I will make one up based on the highest score in CHR. :lol: I look at the class of the character and then produce something based on the interactions the party has with a bard.

Some samples:
Nimrod's Foul Mouth Cohorts, later this became the Foul Mouthers
Torn and The Comany of Honor
Milikin and his Magical Misfits
Roughn's on Taverns

Remove ads