• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL news.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
How come the publishers get to see the license early and not everyone else?

Because they are in the business of publishing for sale products and the ones that we wanted to see make stuff for 4e ASAP. They were some of the first to commit to the NDAs and were willing to pay the $5k before we eliminated the idea of an early dev kit.

I don't think it is a big deal for everyone else to wait until June.

Stormtalon

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
I will let them speak for themselves and they may not say anything until they finalize/execute the the license.

Before anyone jumps on this, I think it best to posit that Scott probably means "may not" as a probability reference ("It may not come to that," "He may chop your nose off, he may not," etc) rather than as a prohibitory thing ("No, you may not do that.")

Of course, only The Rouse knows for sure, but that's how I'm reading it (does that make me an apologist? I need to keep score, after all).

(Why, yes, I am fond of parenthetical expressions, why do you ask?)

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Halivar said:
My prediction is that we can stick a fork in Pathfinder as an independent system.

Pathfinder was never meant to be a replacement for D&D, but a system for those that WANT to stick with a game closer to 3.5. It is in no danger of being "done" since Pathfinder is a game that some want, regardless that the 4E license is actually seeing the light of day.

EDIT: And to the Wizards team, Congrats. Glad to see that things are moving along.

Last edited:

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Stormtalon said:
Before anyone jumps on this, I think it best to posit that Scott probably means "may not" as a probability reference ("It may not come to that," "He may chop your nose off, he may not," etc) rather than as a prohibitory thing ("No, you may not do that.")

Of course, only The Rouse knows for sure, but that's how I'm reading it (does that make me an apologist? I need to keep score, after all).

(Why, yes, I am fond of parenthetical expressions, why do you ask?)

Yes this was a little vague. We have interested partners and I will let them speak up about their thoughts and plans for the future.

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
Perhaps my memory is failing, but I don't know if I ever knew who WotC was talking to earlier in the year.

Does anyone know who was (or might have been) part of that January call?

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
Because they are in the business of publishing for sale products and the ones that we wanted to see make stuff for 4e ASAP. They were some of the first to commit to the NDAs and were willing to pay the $5k before we eliminated the idea of an early dev kit.

I don't think it is a big deal for everyone else to wait until June.

I have no problems with NDAs on the SRD and actual rules. Yes publishers need the rules early and there is good reason for them to have those rules early and to have an NDA on the rules. The license though has no IP. It would be nice to know though what kind of third party support we could expect, what the rules are for setting up our own websites and reuse of the material on those sites. This can effect some peoples choice to purchase or not. Unfortunately by keeping this info secret (again this is not about not the SRD) people will make assumptions about what they think is being kept from them and likely make the worst assumptions possible.

As for me I don't think it is a big deal to make the license public now. Unfortunately by your statement that you think it isn't a big deal to wait comes off as either it being an arbitrary decision to keep it secret, or that you are dodging the question as to why.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads