• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Kobold Press' Black Flag System Reference Document Released

Developer tool released under Open RPG Creator (ORC) License.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 10.11.04.png

The System Reference Document--called the Black Flag Reference Document or BFRD--for Kobold Press' Black Flag roleplaying game system--launched as a reaction to the Open Gaming License crisis caused by Wizards of the Coast in 2022/2023--has been released under the Open RPG Creative (ORC) License, a viral share-alike license designed to replace the Open Gaming License.

A System Reference Document is a tool for third party developers, and contains the rules text that those creators are permitted to use, along with examples of how certain rules elements--such as subclasses--work.

The document includes lineages, heritages, classes, spells, monsters, and more.

The BFRD is the second major third-party 'alternate 5E' SRD to be released, following the Level Up: Advanced 5E SRD (A5ESRD) from EN Publishing.

Wizards of the Coast announced this week that the 2024 core rules of Dungeon & Dragons would be added to their own System Reference Document in 2025.

I mean, I can answer those questions. Suffice it to say I have, and we put our entire game out on A5e.tools.

Maybe that will have to change over time. But right now, it works.
I think, it works, because people still buy your books because they really like your forum and want to support you.
And of course the game is great.

Maybe WotC could get away with it too. I think despite reddit hate and so on, many people support WotC because D&D 5e is a great game too.

And actually WotC allows their whole rules to be found online without any problems. But they don't allow it officially, because they don't want anyone to make money out of their full rules by just copying them.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
It's market of more than 200 milion people, decent amount of it is in EU, purchasing power is rising. People are willing to pay for products. Just not for a product that is available for free. If you have decent srd as a tech demo which shows good side of your game, people will buy it.

It's pshychological thing and off topic.
It's really not off-topic... You suggested that an SRD'd product wouldn't sell because it's free.
A5e's core books are entirely in an SRD. Most of their other stuff is making its way into SRD. People still buy the system, even though it's available for free.

Remove ads

Remove ads