• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL NPC/Monster Blocks

Urizen

First Post
Forked from: Revised GSL TODAY!

As has been mentioned in other Threads, the GSL still hinders publishers in regards to publishing monster nand NPC statblocks.

As I understand it (And Scott Rouse has said as much in other threads on the GSL forums at the WOTC boards), while you can't reprint powers and monster statistic/abilities verbatim, you CAN print the applied mathematical values.

In cases where the power is really needed to be seen in it's entirety, you'll need to refer to the appropriate book.

Now, I'm posting a statblock I believe is going to pass muster just fine, and I'd like to see some opinions from other folks, so we all can get a better handle on how to make our products more user-friendly in this regard.

So, let's start a discussion in hopes of becoming more clear on what we can and cannot do.
---------------

Talfordinate Wicking, Thunder Priest of Velun Level 16
Controller (Leader)
Medium Humanoid (Human) XP 1,400
Initiative +8
Senses: Perception +11
Aura of the Sky
God Aura 5; all enemies in the aura gain vulnerable 5
thunder.
HP 131; Bloodied 66
AC 28; Fortitude 28, Reflex 28, Will 33
Resist 10 thunder
Speed 6
Action Points 1

m Mace (standard; at-will) +23 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6
r Holy Thunder (standard; at-will) * Thunder
Range 5; +27 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 12 thunder damage and the target is pushed 5 squares.
R Plague of Doom (standard; encounter) Range 10; +27 vs. Fortitude; 3d8 + 12 damage; (Level 13 Cleric Encounter Attack Prayer; see the D&D 4E Player's Handbook); -3

R Thunderbreak (standard; encounter) * Thunder
Range 10; +27 vs. Will; 2d8 + 12 thunder damage, and the target is
deafened and dazed until the end of Wicking's next turn.

A Purifying Lightning (standard; daily) * Lightning
Area burst 2 within 10; +27 vs. Reflex; 3d10 + 12 lightning damage and
ongoing 10 lightning (save ends)(See the D&D 4E Player's Handbook.).

A Thunder Cloud (standard; daily) * Thunder
Area burst 2 within 10; +27 vs. Reflex; 2d10 + 12 thunder damage and
ongoing 5 thunder (save ends); Miss: half damage.

Divine Fortune (free; encounter)
(Cleric Class Feature; see the D&D 4E Player's Handbook)

C Healing Word (minor; twice per encounter)
Close Burst 10; (Cleric Class Feature; see the D&D 4E Player's
Handbook); +4d6

C Mass Cure Light Wounds (standard; daily)
Close Burst 5; (Level 10 Cleric Utility Prayer; see the D&D 4E
Player's Handbook); +3

M Cure Serious Wounds (standard; daily)
Melee touch; (Level 6 Cleric Utility Prayer; see the D&D 4E Player's
Handbook)

Alignment Good

Skills Religion +15, Insight +18, Diplomacy +16, History +15

Str 14 (+10) Dex 11 (+8) Wis 21 (+13)

Con 14 (+10) Int 14 (+10) Cha 16 (+11)

Equipment robe of thunderbolts +4, symbol of the storm +6

Last edited:

Roger

First Post
Looks compliant to me.

The only thing that might be a little marginal is the Mace entry; although I doubt anyone would complain that you're redefining the Mace, I prefer to qualify things a bit more in my own works, by calling it a 'Mace of Velun' or 'Thundersmasher' or some darn thing.

Cheers,
Roger

Urizen

First Post
Yeah, I agree it can be very frustrating, that you can't reference the page numbers.

Your way of doing things is a bit confusing to me.

Are you trying to say we should show people how to advance the monster in levels?

Urizen

First Post
Looks compliant to me.

The only thing that might be a little marginal is the Mace entry; although I doubt anyone would complain that you're redefining the Mace, I prefer to qualify things a bit more in my own works, by calling it a 'Mace of Velun' or 'Thundersmasher' or some darn thing.

Cheers,
Roger

Thanks Roger, The flavor's a nice suggestion.

CapnZapp

Legend
As has been mentioned in other Threads, the GSL still hinders publishers in regards to publishing monster and NPC statblocks.

As I understand it, while you can't reprint powers and monster statistic/abilities verbatim, you CAN print the applied mathematical values.

In cases where the power is really needed to be seen in it's entirety, you'll need to refer to the appropriate book.

Now, I'm posting a statblock I believe is going to pass muster just fine, and I'd like to see some opinions from other folks, so we all can get a better handle on how to make our products more user-friendly in this regard.

So, let's start a discussion in hopes of becoming more clear on what we can and cannot do.
Sorry but could you begin from the beginning.

If I throw a casual glance on your example the only thing I see is a monster/NPC statblock.

Which supposedly is forbidden?

Or are you simply saying if you create a new monster/NPC that doesn't reference anything from the PHB you're fine?

That is, if you make sure you're not using a human or dwarf but a "Lowlander" or "Mountaindweller" which aren't using any named powers from the PHB or MM.

But that's not very interesting for most people is it?

I would have thought the majority of prospective licensees are wondering how to present monsters/NPCs that are dwarfs and goblins, only not specifically the Dwarf Bolter or the Goblin Cutter.

For various reasons (variety, different level requirements or simply because you're designing a cool new Solo)...

I might be daft, but perhaps if you gave a short overview of why and how your statblock is legit, or at least close to legit.... thanks! :)

Roger

First Post
This is from the SRD, which I hope will clear up things:

For example, you may not reprint the statistics of a kobold wyrmpriest or the lich template in a Licensed Product, nor may you define these 4E References. You may, however, print a kobold wyrmpriest lich that you create and that is relevant to your Licensed Product.​

Cheers,
Roger

gill_smoke

First Post
GSL hoops

This is why I think the GSL -> SRD is still a bad idea. In order to put meaningful Stat Blocks in my product I have to make an almost creature or reference the generics in the monster manual. I am defiantly buying Goodman's next module to see how they handle it. How does copying the monster stat block as a convenience to my customer diminish your IP ?

What are they looking for third partyies to publish? The OGL assumed adventures and the GSL seems to preclude it. Strictly speaking the RPGA modules break the GSL, and seem to violate another piece of their IP with the mapper required maps. The adventures are basically subcontracted WotC adventures, However if they are a model of what a professional adventure should model cant do it.

Urizen

First Post
Sorry but could you begin from the beginning.

If I throw a casual glance on your example the only thing I see is a monster/NPC statblock.

Which supposedly is forbidden?

Or are you simply saying if you create a new monster/NPC that doesn't reference anything from the PHB you're fine?

That is, if you make sure you're not using a human or dwarf but a "Lowlander" or "Mountaindweller" which aren't using any named powers from the PHB or MM.

But that's not very interesting for most people is it?

I would have thought the majority of prospective licensees are wondering how to present monsters/NPCs that are dwarfs and goblins, only not specifically the Dwarf Bolter or the Goblin Cutter.

For various reasons (variety, different level requirements or simply because you're designing a cool new Solo)...

I might be daft, but perhaps if you gave a short overview of why and how your statblock is legit, or at least close to legit.... thanks! :)

Sorry if I was unclear.

The potential problem areas are as follows:

m Mace (standard; at-will) +23 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6
r Holy Thunder (standard; at-will) * Thunder
Range 5; +27 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 12 thunder damage and the target is pushed 5 squares.
R Plague of Doom (standard; encounter) Range 10; +27 vs. Fortitude; 3d8 + 12 damage; (Level 13 Cleric Encounter Attack Prayer; see the D&D 4E Player's Handbook); -3

R Thunderbreak (standard; encounter) * Thunder
Range 10; +27 vs. Will; 2d8 + 12 thunder damage, and the target is
deafened and dazed until the end of Wicking's next turn.

A Purifying Lightning (standard; daily) * Lightning
Area burst 2 within 10; +27 vs. Reflex; 3d10 + 12 lightning damage and
ongoing 10 lightning (save ends)(See the D&D 4E Player's Handbook.).

A Thunder Cloud (standard; daily) * Thunder
Area burst 2 within 10; +27 vs. Reflex; 2d10 + 12 thunder damage and
ongoing 5 thunder (save ends); Miss: half damage.

Divine Fortune (free; encounter)
(Cleric Class Feature; see the D&D 4E Player's Handbook)

C Healing Word (minor; twice per encounter)
Close Burst 10; (Cleric Class Feature; see the D&D 4E Player's
Handbook); +4d6

C Mass Cure Light Wounds (standard; daily)
Close Burst 5; (Level 10 Cleric Utility Prayer; see the D&D 4E
Player's Handbook); +3

M Cure Serious Wounds (standard; daily)
Melee touch; (Level 6 Cleric Utility Prayer; see the D&D 4E Player's
Handbook)

I believe the statblock works, because it properly references the PHB where necessary, BUT there are entries which DON"T reference the PHB. Those might be issues, but I don't think they are, given what Scott Rouse said in the link I posted.

What bugs me, is that it's less than optimal. Constantly having to refer to a core book in a statblock entry makes things harder on a GM at the gaming table, not easier.

So, I'm trying to see if there are better ways to deal with this situation.

CapnZapp

Legend
Looking more closely, I now see that you write out some powers in full and only references others. But I still don't see your point.

I don't have my books here, so is the difference that Thunderbreak and Thundercloud (which you provide in full) are new original powers and Divine Fortune and Cure Serious Wounds (where you don't) existing PHB powers?

Or is that you have a theory about what elements of a power you can reproduce and what elements you can't? If so, what elements are those?

Sorry if I'm dense, but I'd appreciate it if you'd explain your idea more in full for us non-GSL-experts. :)

Remove ads