GT and firearms?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Victim said:
For pistol type weapons, that +2 bonus to damage from bursts is pretty huge.

I had a couple of playtesters argue adamantly that the simple +2 damage meant that, proportionally speaking, pistols were more effective with burst fire than rifles.

It's a good argument, but it folded in the face of game balance.

If you feel like you want guns to be more deadly, I would recommend instead that you crank down the MDT overall, rather than just bump the damage from guns. This makes the game more deadly without making characters more likely to kill their opponents at range than they are in hand to hand-- melee weapons will benefit equally.

Though, of course, you have to remember that the PCs are going to take more lumps than their enemies, just on the basis of facing more attacks over their careers. I am sure everyone is familiar enough with this argument by now not to go into too great of detail.

Finally, please remember that those most affected by MDT should be the mooks. A +2 bonus to damage makes a big difference to low-CON mooks. MDT isn't there so much to threaten the PCs as it is to help speed the PCs through exciting combats with lots of foes. It means you can have competent mooks (say, 5th or 6th level) who despite having a lot of hit points in general, you can still drop with a single shot.

Wulf

Remove ads