GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - the Rouse discusses D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebulous

Legend
I doubt a real D&D adaptation of a famous D&D line would actually happen, but it seems to me like it would be a shoe-in idea for a hit trilogy. For what it's worth though, Dragonlance Chronicles would make a truly epic HBO mini-series...

BryonD

Hero
Driz'zt? Not so much.
I don't think this is a problem at all. It may even be a good thing.
Non-D&D folks may hear about a new D&D movie and stop listening before you get to the ampersand. However, the same people, or at least some of them, may be interested in some cool new fantasy action flick about this "Drizz-whassit-dude". Then, assuming it is done well enough, they see it, like it, find out it is D&D and a few percent check out the game.

Drizzt becomes a more known entity and D&D gains come along for the ride.

I think Kid Charlemagne had a good point there.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've deleted about a dozen posts which were verging towards edition wars or even overly edition comparison-like in this thread. Some of them could have become quite interesting conversations, but not in this thread. After the earlier warnings, further posts that stray off track are also likely to disappear.

Please keep it on topic, thanks.

Stormtalon

First Post
I doubt a real D&D adaptation of a famous D&D line would actually happen, but it seems to me like it would be a shoe-in idea for a hit trilogy. For what it's worth though, Dragonlance Chronicles would make a truly epic HBO mini-series...

Too bad the horrific Dragonlance Animated ....thing.... probably killed all chance of THAT happening....

Stormtalon

First Post
Now that I think of it, I do have a question for Scott on the topic of a hypothetical D&D movie:

Are plans being made for better quality control of the next D&D-related/branded/themed movie? 'Cause, well, frankly the last two live action ones were less than good; I watched the 2nd one on TV last year with two friends of mine and a direct quote from one of them was, "OMG, that barbarian FAILS AT LIFE!"

Pleeeease set up some sort of editiorial/quality control in the next movie licensing deal you guys set up, okay?

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Now that I think of it, I do have a question for Scott on the topic of a hypothetical D&D movie:

Are plans being made for better quality control of the next D&D-related/branded/themed movie? 'Cause, well, frankly the last two live action ones were less than good; I watched the 2nd one on TV last year with two friends of mine and a direct quote from one of them was, "OMG, that barbarian FAILS AT LIFE!"

Pleeeease set up some sort of editiorial/quality control in the next movie licensing deal you guys set up, okay?

Yes. We now have a strong precedent within Hasbro of what a well done movie can do for a brand (Transformers) and I believe the bar has been set for future entertainment endeavors. After the success of Transformers, Hasbro now has a specific entertainment executive and a group to manage the TV and movie opportunities.

Henrix

Explorer
For a movie, wouldn't about any script written by one of Wizards ordinary authors be a lot better than what the other movies had?

Last edited:

For a movie, wouldn't about any script written by one of Wizards ordinary authors be a lot better than what the other movies had?

Yeah, Scott. Wouldn't a script, or at least a story treatment, written by one of your freelance novelists *cough, ahem, cough* be worth considering?

;)

Stormtalon

First Post
Yes. We now have a strong precedent within Hasbro of what a well done movie can do for a brand (Transformers) and I believe the bar has been set for future entertainment endeavors. After the success of Transformers, Hasbro now has a specific entertainment executive and a group to manage the TV and movie opportunities.

Best news I've heard all day!

And, never thought I'd say this, but thank god for Michael Bay.... ;)

So...ummm...can we start speculating on the next D&D movie? Starring Felicia Day, Wil Weaton, Vin Diesel...

I'm kind of amazed that a company like Hasbro just figured this out...espcially so late after the Star Wars phenomenon (and the related success of Kenner)

What's the feasibility of Hasbro working with the Sci-Fi channel to produce some sword & sorcery films?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads