Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special (spoilers allowed)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This was, for me, pretty bad.

Drax isn't funny. The literalism shtick was cute for one movie, but they have allowed that to degrade to just being a jerk to people.

Honestly, in any other show, by breaking into someone's home, putting them in mortal terror, applying deadly force to officers of the law, kidnapping, and violating agency...

...well, he says it - it is human trafficking. Slavery. It isn't okay, isn't funny, and it makes Drax and Mantis villains, rather than heroes of the piece. In any other show, the heroes beat the crap out of people who behave like this.

GreyLord

Legend
Chapek's big issue was not with the movies being made, but how he was a lapdog for the anti-LGBT+ people in Florida. He tried to fix it, but he was too late. As for movies and Disney+, it was his decision to release Black Widow only for streaming, getting sued by Scarlett in the process.

As for the topic, the special was a lot of fun and I laughed at it more than I have at a lot of stuff recently. It helped a bit with the depression caused by the real world.

I think there's quite a bit more than that on Chapek's head (don't forget that he still has the authority to change films being made and insert changes or suggestions to them, has final approval authority to the films and where they end up or go in regards to theaters and tv or streaming, also stopping characters being around in the parks, killing the park experience for many, dumb political choices and actually getting too political and into political fights that are a no win situation [aka...you either lose half of your customers one way or the other half the other way...lose/lose], trying to push so hard on Disney+ that it's come to a hide the money game, killing employee moral to an all time low that you lose key talent, etc...etc...etc).

Whether Iger can right that ship...I don't know. He seems to be off to a decent start but there are those out there that seem intent on making Disney suffer for it's choices over the past two years. He has some big rifts to repair.

And a streaming service to try to figure out how to stop hemorrhaging money from while still making it so people want to keep paying for it.

Last edited:

Remove ads