• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guide my Dwarven Cleric to a PrC

Kazinsky

First Post
I've just gotten my dwarven cleric to 3rd level. I have some aspirations to wearing heavy-armor and using warhammers (both melee and thrown). Otherwise, I've been favoring a melee-based cleric: bless the party, enlarge (domain-spell), then wade into combat, healing when needed with my reach.

We're playing in Eberron, specifically in Karnath / Ironroot Mtns. Haven't been fighting any creature types in particular, mostly bandits and some low-level arcane-types. My cleric is grouped with a 3rd-level warforged fighter wielding a bastard sword & board combo. He's fairly new to the game, so I help him out on his choices when he asks.

My question is this: Give me some options for the life of my character.

Restrictions:

- Use of Core, Complete, Eberron and anything else that I can submit to my GM.
- I'd really like to try out a PrC, but I am so hesitant to give up spell-casting power.
- I like strong melee or strong casting. (Mmm, if there's both in one PrC, I'm game, even if there's a significant penalty.)
- We're heavy into combat and mini-use.

I'm thankful for any help that anyone can provide!

p.s. I was thinking of the Karnathi PrC with the bone armor... but I'm not sure.

Kazinsky

First Post
WarPriest is good

pbd said:
There's always warpriest from Complete divine; pretty much built for dwarves.

That's one that I am looking at now. After I posted, I went scouring the books and finally read it fully.

Have you played one or been in a game with one? I'm trying to look ahead at levels 8-10. How do they look at that stage compared to the others in the party?

And remember, I'm still the party's medic... so I'll need to retain healing abilities, or go shopping for Wands of CxW to supplement.

Thanks for the tip, though, pbd! Anyone else have any insights on a PrC or a different route to take a dwarven cleric? I'd like to not be another L10 pure cleric.

Legildur

First Post
Races of Stone has the Battlesmith - a 5 level PrC with good melee but no spell caster improvement.

The same book has the Earth Dreamer - another 5 level PrC with +1 caster level per PrC level and some cool abilities.

On the WotC website there is the Hammer of Moradin PrC for Faerunian characters. That's strong melee with no spell progression.

Dwarven Defender in the DMG for defensive melee focus.

Kazinsky

First Post
Legildur said:
The same book has the Earth Dreamer - another 5 level PrC with +1 caster level per PrC level and some cool abilities.

I'm not familiar with this, as I don't have the Races-series of books. Can you give me a bit more information on it without spoiling copyright?

JoelF

First Post
Check out Fist of Raziel from the Book of Exalted Deeds. 10 level PrC, with +1 spellcasting at levels 2-10, you only miss out on 1 caster level. Gives a slew of cool smiting abilities, and at 1st level gives a permanent Magic Circle against evil (just hope your ally isn't an enchanter who likes to dominate!)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Races of Stone also has a racial substitution cleric level at 4th: give up a second-level spell slot for warhammer proficiency (and +2 damage with it). Well worth it, IMO.

Kazinsky

First Post
JoelF said:
Check out Fist of Raziel from the Book of Exalted Deeds.
Now that's something worth looking into! Thanks a bunch. I'll take a look at it.

Jeff Wilder said:
Races of Stone also has a racial substitution cleric level at 4th: give up a second-level spell slot for warhammer proficiency (and +2 damage with it). Well worth it, IMO.
Hmm, now this is something even better! I love the idea of racial substitution levels. Since I don't have any of the Races series of books, I'll have to check it out at Borders. ;) I must say that it's one of the coolest "options" that I have heard of since 3.0 came out.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff!

the Jester

Legend
JoelF said:
Check out Fist of Raziel from the Book of Exalted Deeds. 10 level PrC, with +1 spellcasting at levels 2-10, you only miss out on 1 caster level. Gives a slew of cool smiting abilities, and at 1st level gives a permanent Magic Circle against evil (just hope your ally isn't an enchanter who likes to dominate!)

IMHO, many of the prcs in the BoED are broken. I don't recall off hand if this one is one of 'em, but I would certainly check with your dm on whether he'll even allow any of them at all.

Also, to take an 'exalted' prc you have to pretty much be as much of a good guy as Superman.

If your DM will allow it, there's the Prestige Paladin in Unearthed Arcana. IIRC, that has full spellcasting progression and fighter BAB, plus a few special abilities. You'd face the resrictions of Paladinhood, of course, but at least you wouldn't be [angelic choir][glorious heavenly light from above]Exhalted[/glorious heavenly light from above][/angelic choir].

On another note, I never really appreciated what a cool ranged weapon the warhammer was until I saw an olympic hammer-thrower on television. That's so awesome!

Remove ads