D&D 5E [GUIDE] Pacts, Patrons, and Power, a Warlock guide

I currently have a changeling celestial warlock about to go to level 3. I picked pact of the tome with ancient secrets and am not entirely sure what spells and other invocations to go with. I'm playing a face-type/support character con artist (faith healer) I have the charlatan background feature but would appreciate some help with what I should do from here.

Nikioko

First Post
I currently have a changeling celestial warlock about to go to level 3. I picked pact of the tome with ancient secrets and am not entirely sure what spells and other invocations to go with. I'm playing a face-type/support character con artist (faith healer) I have the charlatan background feature but would appreciate some help with what I should do from here.

Could you please post ability score and proficiencies/spells you have so far?
Otherwise people can give you just some general suggestions: pick non-warlock cantrips for your Book of Shadows (e.g. Shillelagh for melee, shocking grasp to get out of melee without provoking an attack of opportunity, green-blame blade when you are in melee with more than one opponent). Since you only have few spell slots, don't bother taking AoE spells, your cantrips should do, of which you get Sacred Flame for free (nice to finish off undead), Eldritch blast as your standard attack (strongly recommended) and Shocking Grasp (see above) as a melee spell attack. And that's enough. Use your other slots for utility cantrips (mending can be VERY nice if you don't want to buy new clothes all the time, also Blade Ward can be a help when you are really in the mess).
As for the spells: since you don't need combat spells (see above), take Spells that either enhance your damage (like Hex on Eldritch blast), halp you to survive long enough (Cure Wounds is great, since it is always cast on the highest level, but also Misty Step, Invisibility and Mirror Image can be very helpful when you are overpowered), otherwise concentrate on utility spells (cave: if those spells are rituals, take them into your tome instead; on very few occasions time matters to cast a Detect Magic or Comprehend Language): Dispel Magic, Hypnotic Pattern, Fly and that sort of are great.

changeling celestial warlock 3, str 8, dex 14, con 14, int 13, wis 14, cha 16, deception (changeling duplicity, Intimidation, persuasion, insight, sleight of hand. Character used to be in a band, then became a faith healer for conning, so very entertainment based. Think televangelist. I'm fine using sacred flame over eldritch blast as we already have another warlock who's going full blasty and I wanna be more support. I like book of ancient secrets but the other invocations are totally open. part makeup is me, the other warlock(tiefling fey), changeling bard, shifter beastmaster ranger, a elf rogue who I think is a mastermind but I dunno, and a human fighter that I also dunno. it's a high magic setting, semi-based on ebberon, so we each started with a minor magic item tailored to our backstory, mines a mask that anyone wearing it looks like what I look like, even when I change as a changeling.

mellored

Legend
For cantrips, Minor illusion, prestidigitation, mage hand, guidance all work well. You can also use the friends cantrip along with disguises, in order to get people pissed off at other people.
For rituals, comprehend languages (easier to con people if you understand them), unseen servant (distract people and have it move things), illusory script (hidden messages), augury (omens) can all work.

For spells, suggestion would be your go-to spell. You can convince people to hand over all their money, go into town and spread rumours of your excellence, worship a fake god, or whatever. Lots of fun. Works in combat too, by telling an enemy to get you some holy water (it doesn't matter if he can find any or not, he will spend an hour searching).
As well as the celstial support spells of cure wounds, lesser restoration, and revivify. Fly and hypnotic pattern are also good spells.

At level 4, i would take inspiring leader as your feat. Then focus on +Cha.

And even if it's not your main thing, and even including celestials damage bonus to sacred flame, I would still take eldrich blast at level 10, and agonizing blast at level 11. Putting other things first is fine, but no reason to pass up on easy damage.
It also opens up things like repelling blast, which can be a different kind of support, by positioning enemies for a fireball, or breaking grapples.

niklinna

satisfied?
© = concentration

Expeditious Retreat: With some room, you can hit and run away from enemies until they die, particularly with repelling blast. Though if you use this trick a lot, multi-class rogue. This also doesn't scale.

Expeditious Retreat is a Concentration spell.

Nikioko

First Post
What I forgot: Nice guide though I don't necessarily agreed with all of it. ;-)
The Armor of Shadows, though only AC+1 compared to studded leather, saved my ass quite some times. Unlike Pathfinder or earlier editions, in 5e every point of AC is important.
But as soon as you multiclass with something that gives you proficiency with medium armor, get a breastplate and swap the invocation for something else on the next level.

Last edited:

Remove ads