D&D 5E [GUIDE] The Sorlock – Guide to the tormented divine soul with Xanathar's Divine Soul(17)+Hexblade(3) [Updated 12/20/21]

GrimNemesis

First Post
Well, the 16 dex and 16 con path would presumably skip elven accuracy altogether.

Totally overlooked that. I was still under the impression of 8 13 15 8 12 15, my bad.

But Elven Accuracy should correct at least a missed Eldritch Blast. I haven't checked which spells really that crucial for Sorc to hit that requires "ranged spell attack" like that of Eldritch Blast, but as I am beginning to understand the build, my impression would be converting spell slots into Sorc Points and quicken spell Eldritch Blast to home. The rest of the choices are utilities that will help the PC and allies to twin haste/greater invi/heals/etc

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Totally overlooked that. I was still under the impression of 8 13 15 8 12 15, may bad.

But Elven Accuracy should correct at least a missed Eldritch Blast. I haven't checked which spells really that crucial for Sorc to hit that requires "ranged spell attack" like that of Eldritch Blast, but as I am beginning to understand the build, my impression would be converting spell slots into Sorc Points and quicken spell Eldritch Blast to home. The rest of the choices are utilities that will help the PC and allies to twin haste/greater invi/heals/etc

When you can make 20 eldritch blast attacks by turn 3 (including a turn 1 buff spell)
1) How often will you fail to have advantage on those attacks? Quite Often IMO
2) What is the difference between Advantage without elven accuracy and advantage with it? It will increase your chance to hit over all chance to hit values evenly distributed by +8.75%. That's less than a +2. Even if 10% additional attacks hit out of 20 that's only maybe 10-20% additional damage due to elven accuracy (typically) and even then it's only when you had advantage in the first place.

In other words elven accuracy is nice to have but for the most part it barely registers a blip on the radar for this kind of character. Start talking -5/+10 abilities and consistent ways to get advantage and then I'm listening about how good elven accuracy is. But on an eldritch blaster... it's really kind of meh IMO.

GrimNemesis

First Post
When you can make 20 eldritch blast attacks by turn 3 (including a turn 1 buff spell)
1) How often will you fail to have advantage on those attacks? Quite Often IMO
2) What is the difference between Advantage without elven accuracy and advantage with it? It will increase your chance to hit over all chance to hit values evenly distributed by +8.75%. That's less than a +2. Even if 10% additional attacks hit out of 20 that's only maybe 10-20% additional damage due to elven accuracy (typically) and even then it's only when you had advantage in the first place.

In other words elven accuracy is nice to have but for the most part it barely registers a blip on the radar for this kind of character. Start talking -5/+10 abilities and consistent ways to get advantage and then I'm listening about how good elven accuracy is. But on an eldritch blaster... it's really kind of meh IMO.

Prolly using utilities like Greater Invisibility should be used before actually trying to cast a bigger spell... though, I don't know what spell could be bigger than Eldritch Blast for this build when it was heavily optimized as the core part of the build.

FrogReaver

Prolly using utilities like Greater Invisibility should be used before actually trying to cast a bigger spell... though, I don't know what spell could be bigger than Eldritch Blast for this build when it was heavily optimized as the core part of the build.

High level hold monster to target the nearly all the enemies you are currently facing?
A high level animate objects?
A mass suggestion making half the combatants decide it's time to run like forest gump?
Dominate Monster?
Disintegrate?
Holy Aura?

Seriously, high levels spells are encounter enders. Greater invisibility and other lower level buffs have nothing on them (even when twinned) and by that stage of the game should only really be used when facing enemies that have legendary resistance IMO.

GrimNemesis

First Post
Hi All,

Currently at level 4 but decided to get multiclass Warlock, Hexblade this early. A lot of things can happen here and below are the following I picked among the choices of good spells:

Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, Friends, Toll the Dead, Sacred Flame, Guidance, Mage Hands
1st level - Bless, Healing Word, Hex, Shield, Sleep
2nd level - Spiritual Weapon

With 6 spells known, 5x 1st and 2x 2nd level spell slots, and 3 sorc points

My idea of an opener would be:
1st turn - bonus action: hex, action: twinned - eldritch blast
2nd turn - bonus action: baleful curse, action: twinned - eldritch blast
3rd turn - action: eldritch blast, bonus action: lv1 slot to 2 sorc
4th turn - action: twinned - eldritch blast, bonus action: quickened eldritch blast

Assuming the target still lives, but is it the best thing i can do for a level 4? I read of the errata that @ 5th level, twinning eldritch blast won't be possible but I read that it is still strong even by just quickened eldritch blast + another on standard action.

Question:
1. Is there any better plays I can do or those opener above are what the build is intended to be doing?
2. Any tips for me to utilize stealth this early in this combat where Greater Invisibility is not yet available for me?
3. Hex vs Bless at these levels, now that I am hexing I don't think I will still be using Bless anytime soon.

TIA.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Hi All,

Currently at level 4 but decided to get multiclass Warlock, Hexblade this early. A lot of things can happen here and below are the following I picked among the choices of good spells:

Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, Friends, Toll the Dead, Sacred Flame, Guidance, Mage Hands
1st level - Bless, Healing Word, Hex, Shield, Sleep
2nd level - Spiritual Weapon

With 6 spells known, 5x 1st and 2x 2nd level spell slots, and 3 sorc points

My idea of an opener would be:
1st turn - bonus action: hex, action: twinned - eldritch blast
2nd turn - bonus action: baleful curse, action: twinned - eldritch blast
3rd turn - action: eldritch blast, bonus action: lv1 slot to 2 sorc
4th turn - action: twinned - eldritch blast, bonus action: quickened fireball

Assuming the target still lives, but is it the best thing i can do for a level 4? I read of the errata that @ 5th level, twinning eldritch blast won't be possible but I read that it is still strong even by just quickened eldritch blast + another on standard action.

Question:
1. Is there any better plays I can do or those opener above are what the build is intended to be doing?
2. Any tips for me to utilize stealth this early in this combat where Greater Invisibility is not yet available for me?
3. Hex vs Bless at these levels, now that I am hexing I don't think I will still be using Bless anytime soon.

TIA.

Spiritual Weapon > Hex until you're making 3 attacks with EB.

So I recommend precast bless when possible and then use spiritual weapon in that fight.

If you can't precast bless then skip it. Try to use level 1 hex in those encounters.

Twin spell EB + quicken spell sleep can be pretty effective.

Just trading spells to keep twinspelling EB isn't a bad strategy either. You can do that one with spiritual weapon out even without bless.

GrimNemesis

First Post
Spiritual Weapon > Hex until you're making 3 attacks with EB.

So I recommend precast bless when possible and then use spiritual weapon in that fight.

If you can't precast bless then skip it. Try to use level 1 hex in those encounters.

Twin spell EB + quicken spell sleep can be pretty effective.

Just trading spells to keep twinspelling EB isn't a bad strategy either. You can do that one with spiritual weapon out even without bless.

Thanks for the good input, also at this 4th level, it seems Toll the Dead is pretty solid on hitting/damaging foes over EB assuming there're no resistance on both elements?

FrogReaver

Thanks for the good input, also at this 4th level, it seems Toll the Dead is pretty solid on hitting/damaging foes over EB assuming there're no resistance on both elements?

Toll is great until you get agonizing blast. Just make sure to only attack injured enemies with it and pay attention to the enemies ac because hitting more often could potentially be better (since toll the dead is a save). Just depends on the difference

GrimNemesis

First Post
Toll is great until you get agonizing blast. Just make sure to only attack injured enemies with it and pay attention to the enemies ac because hitting more often could potentially be better (since toll the dead is a save). Just depends on the difference

Yes I am noted that between attacking AC vs saving from WIS, usually Toll the Dead wins. I just wanna grab the opportunity to twin it while not yet @ 5th level, but it seems the better option could be the Toll the Dead on most times, but sucks that we will be up against an undead encounter so... I maybe spamming EB anyways.

Just before the encounter, I am imagining that I will always be short on sorc points hat quickening and twinning will yet to happen only on the latter levels after I resumed leveling as a Sorcerer.

Remove ads