Guildmaster's Guide = Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes 2.0?!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Something else I'd like to touch on is that, when I was younger, I would houserule and homebrew the game to my heart's content. These days, though, I just feel like I don't have the time and/or energy to do all that. I want to be able to pick up these books and use the contents more or less as written, but I feel like, in many cases, I just can't do that. I could go on, but I think what it all boils down to is this: I am worried that I am no longer in WotC's target market. I don't enjoy watching all the streaming shows. I don't enjoy the "wide but shallow" / "do it yourself" approach to the game's support.

I didn't see the appeal of the streaming shows in the abstract, but once we started Critical Role it became an addiction. I don't even watch scripted TV now, it's either cooking shows or people playing D&D.

The target audience is in high school or college, and is up to the elbows in Twitch and other social media. So it goes.

dave2008

Legend
Lacking in both depth and quality. And by quality, I don’t just mean the content. I’m also talking about the physical quality of the books, which have been plagued with printing problems that previous editions didn’t seem to suffer from (cheap bindings that fall apart, poor printing controls that result in blurry headings, low quality paper and ink that easily smudges, and so on).

In terms of content, I regard the SCAG and Volo’s as the edition’s best supplements, and neither of those is without its problems (the SCAG could/should have had more crunch in it, including more FR-specific stuff, more spells, and maybe even some magic items; Volo's was fine except for the PC race options, most of which needed more playtesting -- as an alpha playtester, I was disappointed to see that WotC felt the draft versions were good enough to publish virtually unchanged; it's like they just couldn't be bothered to try and balance them and decided to make us DMs do all the hard work*).

XGE was a big disappointment for me as the content is not just a random grab bag thematically but also in terms of quality. The subclass options are very hit-or-miss. So are things like the expanded rules for tools and the revised downtime activities. There’s so much in that book that clearly could have done with more refinement than it got. But again, WotC deemed the content good enough to publish, knowing that we long-suffering DMs would iron out the kinks for them.

I think my main issue with MToF is the choice of content: what they included vs what they didn't include comes across as somewhat nonsensical and seemingly random to me. For instance, there are PC stats for sea elves but no fluff to go with them. And the chapter on gnomes and halflings, while nice, really doesn’t belong in this book, even as a so-called "constrast" to all the other chapters about long-running feuds and the like. And did we really need the deep gnome a third time?! I think “Tome of Foes” was a poor choice for this book’s title, given its content.

And so on and so forth.

Thanks for the clarification! In general I don't have the same issue you do, but to each his or her own! I was disappointed with XGtE and thus didn't buy that one. Though I have heard some good things about and I have thought about giving it another try. My biggest issue with MToF is that they made the demon lords weaker and not stronger!

*Something else I'd like to touch on is that, when I was younger, I would houserule and homebrew the game to my heart's content. These days, though, I just feel like I don't have the time and/or energy to do all that. I want to be able to pick up these books and use the contents more or less as written, but I feel like, in many cases, I just can't do that. I could go on, but I think what it all boils down to is this: I am worried that I am no longer in WotC's target market. I don't enjoy watching all the streaming shows. I don't enjoy the "wide but shallow" / "do it yourself" approach to the game's support.

I still enjoy homebrew & houserules; but I don't need to do nearly as much with 5e as I had to do in the past. My AD&D / D&D houserules were 20 something pages. My 5e houserules are 1 page. i can live with that :) Now I spend my homebrew energies on making adventures, monsters, and Immortal rules.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
My biggest issue with MToF is that they made the demon lords weaker and not stronger!
That is an odd choice for sure - and one that it would've been nice to get some explanation for.

I still enjoy homebrew & houserules; but I don't need to do nearly as much with 5e as I had to do in the past. My AD&D / D&D houserules were 20 something pages. My 5e houserules are 1 page. i can live with that :) Now I spend my homebrew energies on making adventures, monsters, and Immortal rules.
My 5e house rules don't take up many pages either, but that's mostly because I can't be bothered / don't have time / can't decide how best to house rule many of the things I feel ought to be house ruled. As a result, I only allow a few of the races from Volo's and have asked my players to consult with me first before using anything from XGE (unless I've given prior permission in my campaign guide). I did finally get around to house ruling the ranger for my latest campaign, though ...

I also don’t want more books (and am not happy that they are increasing production). I want fewer but better books. Books with more detail in them. I don’t like these broad strokes books. I don’t have time to fill in all the details myself.

This sums up my criticism of the book, right here. I feel like they didn't really give me what i'd want to run the thing as a setting. It's cool that the authors apparently adore the living crap out of these organizations, but it's unfortunate that this comes at the price of any substantial presentation of the world as an evocative place that you'd actually want to explore.

IMO, the race mechanics are generally pretty bad or just underwhelming, so I'm mostly picking out the monsters and few concepts for organizations.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This sums up my criticism of the book, right here. I feel like they didn't really give me what i'd want to run the thing as a setting. It's cool that the authors apparently adore the living crap out of these organizations, but it's unfortunate that this comes at the price of any substantial presentation of the world as an evocative place that you'd actually want to explore.

IMO, the race mechanics are generally pretty bad or just underwhelming, so I'm mostly picking out the monsters and few concepts for organizations.

The Guilds are the setting; the setting is the institutional web of the Guilds. There really isn't anything else for them to have made it.

Remove ads