• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gunpowder, fantasy and you

Generally speaking, do muskets mix with fantasy?

• Yes

Votes: 103 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 18.1%
  • It's not that simple

Votes: 82 36.3%

• Poll closed .

Derren

Hero
Well, no, I'm not saying firearms and gunpowder have to have a "huge super dramatic change" on the setting nor that it has to be a bigger change than for gods or magic. But it should have some change on the setting.

Considering that gods and magic only have a minimal effect of most settings (mediveal feudalism or any other copy of a specific point in time of earths history), gunpoweder changing anything would be a bigger effect than everything fantastic in D&D.

Haltherrion

First Post
Considering that gods and magic only have a minimal effect of most settings (mediveal feudalism or any other copy of a specific point in time of earths history), gunpoweder changing anything would be a bigger effect than everything fantastic in D&D.

So the addition of multiple, tangible power granting gods shouldhave little affect? Perhaps that should affect a setting as well :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
So the addition of multiple, tangible power granting gods shouldhave little affect? Perhaps that should affect a setting as well :)
I say again, Down Styphon!
lordkalv77.jpg

The Auld Grump, from Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen and Gunpowder God. FGU had a pike and musket game based on the stories.

Derren

Hero

Actually it should have a huge effect as should the existance of magic.

But apart from Planescape and maybe a few other rare exceptions, in nearly all settings I have seen, official or homemade, it has no effect at all.
Everything is still (romantic) feudalism where gods and magic only affect the PCs/Adventurers.

And in such settings where magic does not have an effect, why should guns have one?

Haltherrion

First Post
And in such settings where magic does not have an effect, why should guns have one?

Don't look to me to argue that point. I like my settings to be robust and at least make a reasonable attempt to integrate these other components. And I have elsewhere argued that magic should have more dramatic effects on settings so I'm not being inconsistent.

For those who like to crib off of earth historical settings (nothing wrong with saving some time), there are many to choose fit better with polytheism, and to a lesser extent, magic. Middle Ages Europe isn't the only game in town although it can be made to work.

Remove ads