• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gygax doesn't matter?

Zoatebix

Working on it
Although Matt Snyder doesn't actually say the vast majority of the things that people are reading in to his thing, I simply can't believe that he couldn't foresee what he wrote having said things read into them.

Also, I've heard Dust Devils is good stuff, though I've never seen a copy or played it, myself.

-George "Wait- the Devil's Advocate isn't supposed to defend people" Austin

Felix

Explorer
Zoatebix said:
Although Matt Snyder doesn't actually say the vast majority of the things that people are reading in to his thing, I simply can't believe that he couldn't foresee what he wrote having said things read into them.
His tone isn't exactly helpful.

Also, where in Falls Church are you? That'll be the first time I've seen FC, VA on these boards besides my own.

Drowbane

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Who the hell is Matt Snyder? :\

QFT

Gygax indirectly affected my life and the lives of countless others. To my regret, I didn't know him personally, but that doesn't change the fact that he is and will continue to be missed.

- Brew, just another "gamer for life"

Harr said:
Not trying to incite any flames or anything, but this genuinely baffles and shocks me.

http://www.chimera.info/2008/03/06/a-guy-who-made-a-game-the-end/
Granted I didn't read the thing word from word, but the feeling I came away with was "ungrateful."

Maybe towards the recent times Gygax wasn't the end-all and and be-all of gaming, but if it wasn't for his contributions, Mr. Snyder would quite likely be doing something else entirely. Sort of like complaining about farmers while your eating ;)

Cisticola

First Post
I suppose one should ask, why he needed to write this article?

It strikes me as 'Devils advocate'.......look at me the angry man......This is less about Gary than someone trying to define themselves........get over it, we are all nerds.....I am and proud of it!

I played D&D back in the 80s.....left it for some 15 years while I did other things....joined the Army, got married, went to university.........I did not forget D&D, and later I came back to it........rekindled my game and found some of my original gamer friends and some new ones......and we are having fun.....

Did Gary's death affect me....yes, he was an inspiration when I was a child, as a young man and even now.....those feelings cannot be taken away from me, certainly not by one angry man........

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Harr said:
Now I read this, it's very logical and cold, and I myself am usually a logical and cold person. I find myself torn between the two sides.

It's simple. Drop the notion of being EITHER logical or emotional. It is possible to be both at the same time.

/M

shilsen

Adventurer
+5 Keyboard! said:
Shilsen, I need to clarify what you're saying above. Are you saying that if, say, you had a 2 year old daughter and she was hit by a car and died, it wouldn't bother you? If, say, your wife was stricken by cancer and died long before her time leaving you a widower, it wouldn't bother you?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Admittedly I don't have either a wife or any children, so I haven't experienced precisely what you described, but I have lost a couple of family members (dad, grandmom) and friends over the last few years. And in no case did it bother me. Did I think it would have been better if they hadn't died when they did? Sure. But was I unhappy about it? Nope. I just really internalized a long time ago that everyone dies, so when people I like are alive I really enjoy my time with them, and if they die I'm not unhappy or even surprised.

Like when I got a phone call a few years ago to be told that my dad had dropped dead of a completely unexpected heart attack when he was only 49 (I was in the US, he was in India). I found out the details quickly and left, taught a college class half an hour later, then read and sent out a couple of emails for an hour, went and taught another class, went home, had lunch and took a nap. Did I think it would be preferable if he hadn't died? Yes. Did I lose any sleep over it or change my day in any manner? No.

I don't want to start some kind of flame war with you since I've always pretty much enjoyed what you have to say, but unless you're some kind of robot, I find it hard to believe that you actually really feel that way.

I can find you a few people who'll swear under oath that I am a robot :) But yeah, I do actually think that way. In case it wasn't obvious, think comes before feel for me, though they usually work together (I think it's a little unhealthy when they diverge). And speaking of robots, I feel that way because of a conscious choice. When I was 18 or so I thought carefully about exactly what sort of person I should be and then basically made myself that person, and part of that was excising emotions and actions that I think are negative or useless. For example, I don't do worry or stress, I don't do jealousy, I do only certain forms of anger. I don't think unhappiness is a worthwhile emotion and I don't think think grieving for the dead (or most grieving, for that matter) is worthwhile either, so I don't do either. See why I get the robot thing?

And if you do, I feel very sorry for you.

I can see why you might, from your perspective, but don't bother. I sincerely think I'm the happiest and most contented person I've ever met. And one of the primary reasons is the above. I am mentally and emotionally exactly who I think I should be, and that's because I made myself so. Do I miss out on feeling certain emotions most people around me do? Perhaps, but I seriously don't think I'm losing anything by not doing so. And since I can sympathize and empathize with people who undergo those emotions, it doesn't get in the way of me getting along and interacting with other people either. In this case, for example, I don't feel anything regarding Gary's death. But I can completely understand why and how other people do.

Trust me, I'm not. I've really enjoyed a lot of what Shilsen posts, especially with regards to Planescape stuff. I just find it hard to believe that anyone feels that way and want to know if that REALLY IS what he's saying. If it is, and he doesn't like my tone, I'll back off and apologize if I've offended him. Of course, Shilsen can completely ignore me and that'll be that. ;)

No offense taken. I just expressed an opinion and so did you, and you did so in a very civil manner. Plus, did I mention I also removed being offended from my programming :)?

Last edited:

Fenes

First Post
While it's not the same as Shilsen's view, stoicism is a bit similar to this in that excessive emotions are avoided.

On topic: I believe Snyder can't separate gaming as a hobby from what he perceives as a lifestyle and/or culture. I doubt what he imagines exists, since I think he is just mistaking a lot of pop culture facets for a homogenous culture/lifestyle.

Generally speaking, he seems to think that all who play RPGs are sharing enough, and excluding enough, to rate as a tribe/clique. Given that there are so many different people playing RPGs, ranging from soldiers to teenagers, from SF/Fantasy readers to computer gamers, from wargamers to artists, and from all social "classes", and from all countries, I think he's wrong.

Just because a lot of people can quote monty Python, or Star Wars, doesn't make RPGs a lifestyle.

Last edited:

rossik

Explorer
Orius said:
It's a tad tasteless. Some of the people who have commented on Gary's death on the net knew him personally, or at least met him a few times. Outside of those people, he was still a sort of celebrity in the gaming subculture. People mourn actors and other celebrities they've never known who die all the time, are they losers too for doing so?

It comes off a bit as "D&D is for losers, people who play it are losers, and they're proving they're losers by being sad over this". I'm not going to get worked up over it because I don't know who this guy is, I don't care, and once this thread dies, I'll completely forget about him.

i had the same feelings as you, Orius.

Why such a "hate-article"?

i think people means diferent things for diferent people.

if someone in my family dies, i will be very very sad.

if someone clone to me , or if i feel close to him, dies, i will feel sad, no doubt.

if someone i just read about dies, i will feel like "oh, poor guy!" or something, but will affect me less then the above.

for some people, if a soccer play die, they wil be very sad. not so much the same feeling i would have. so maybe thats the issue with this guy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads