HACKMASTER Basic - for free!

techno

Explorer
I have been reading the free HMB book today. I am surprisingly impressed with it. It has convinced me to buy the PHB and the HOB. I thought Hackmaster was a "parody" game and not a serious RPG. Apparently, that has completely changed. The book I read today got me much more energized than anything I have seen in D&D Next so far (which, granted, is still only in early playtesting). I am seriously considering getting off the WotC treadmill and, right now, Hackmaster is a serious contender based on what I read today. I am especially intrigued by the "real time" combat system. Sounds very different, chaotic, and fun. I play D&D 4e and my players usually have to wait 5-8 minutes before taking their turn again. For our teenage players, waiting is boring and they tend to tune out quickly. I am intrigued by Hackmaster's approach to keeping everyone actively involved in combat at all times. I was also very surprised to see so much emphasis on non-combat role playing. Honor seems to be a great approach to rewarding good role playing. With a name like "Hackmaster," I figured the game would only focus on one thing--combat. I was pleasantly surprised to learn this was not the case.

Agamon

Adventurer
I thought Hackmaster was a "parody" game and not a serious RPG. Apparently, that has completely changed.

This is something KenzerCo has been fighting for a couple years now. If you don't read Knights of the Dinner Table or visit the forums, it's an understandable conclusion. I think what they did here was mostly to combat that viewpoint, nice to see it's helping.

griffonwing

First Post
I really like this game.

I'm just sorry that it doesn't include plate armour...

:(

HackMaster DOES include plate armor. It is simply not in the Basic book (which covers everything needed up to level 5) because it is advanced/expensive armor.

Just like how there is no higher level spells in HMBasic, like Teleport. The game has them, just not the basic book.

Treebore

First Post
My god. This is the most disgusting system I've ever seen! And people say D&D 4e inhibits role-playing.

I take it you didn't read about Quirks and Flaws? Because unlike 4E this is a mechanical system that encourages you to take such personality aspects and role play. So it strongly encourages you to role play. So does the Honor system. So you may want to read the PDF again.

griffonwing

First Post
My god. This is the most disgusting system I've ever seen! And people say D&D 4e inhibits role-playing.

I take it you didn't read about Quirks and Flaws? Because unlike 4E this is a mechanical system that encourages you to take such personality aspects and role play. So it strongly encourages you to role play. So does the Honor system. So you may want to read the PDF again.

Definitely true. If you do not roleplay your class, race, quirks and flaws, then you get docked honor. Low Honor could eventually be detrimental, and has an impact on your standing in the game world. It also incurs negatives to certain rolls.

Remove ads