• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(HackMaster) - the QuickStart Guide is now available

KJSEvans

First Post
Forgive the self-promotion, but I'd solicited feedback from folks in this forum while I was writing this, and thought it'd be nice to share it now that it is ready.

This is a link to the page containing the HackMaster QuickStart Guide - it has everything you need if you'd like to try out the game, although you'd be best inclined to buy the various Kenzer Products if you wanted an extended campaign. Please feel free to download, use, and enjoy!

Included in this download are the following:
8 unique pre-gen characters
8 skills packages
(all the math and information is done for you, allowing you to fill your character sheet in around 5 minutes)
a handful of clerical and magical spells
a listing of many - but not all - of the skills available in HackMaster
A 6 page section for the actual rules set. They are easy to learn and fast to use
Advice on how to run an encounter in HackMaster
A detailed glossary
the Hacklopedia of Beasts entry on Kobolds

We are also working on an easy-print version that should be available in the coming days.

(Note to the mods - if you choose move this thread I totally understand)

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Dang Kurt! Kenzer needs to hire you to handle their organizational layout!

You still need help with typo's (1.1 Introduction, spelled recently as resently), but if HM Basic was this well laid out, organized, and easy to find definitions, even without hyperlinks, I might still be on board.

KJSEvans

First Post
Thanks, Treebore. Whether you know it or not, you were directly responsible for the creation of this guide. I know how much of a fan you were of the A&8's Basic chapter, and that was the starting point for the HackMaster QSG.

Just so you know, I'm quite confident that the PHB and GMG are going to be even better organized than this, and I expect them to be filled with helpful links, tips and concepts. Hopefully you'll give it a look once it becomes availabe/falls into your price range.

Treebore

First Post
Thanks, Treebore. Whether you know it or not, you were directly responsible for the creation of this guide. I know how much of a fan you were of the A&8's Basic chapter, and that was the starting point for the HackMaster QSG.

Just so you know, I'm quite confident that the PHB and GMG are going to be even better organized than this, and I expect them to be filled with helpful links, tips and concepts. Hopefully you'll give it a look once it becomes availabe/falls into your price range.

Well, they eventually got me to buy the HoB, so its within the realm of possibility.

Treebore

First Post
And what is your feedback on the Hacklopedia of Beasts?

Its among the best Monster books ever done. Very possibly the best. Awesome write ups, and production quality is second to none.

Kurt's been telling me you guys are doing the rules very modular, like Aces and Eights, so I might get on board after all. Especially if the rules organization and layout is going to be as awesome as he also claims.

KJSEvans

First Post
A big reason they pre-released the alpha/beta PHB was for the players of the game to submit feedback. Part of that is definitely organizational stuff. A lot of the gamers participating are providing incredibly detailed thoughts and the feedback itself has been very well organized. So... I have high - but realistic, I think - hopes.

Remove ads