• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Celestials: Who plays one, and what are they *Really* worth?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
IME, there's a huge difference between magical means of flight and natural ones... especially if you play with Dispel Fly = DROP! houserules.

'House' rules?

I don't understand.

What is this unnatural phrase you use?

-Hyp.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

I am going to assume Eadric is planning to take this template. My honest opinion as a DM is that the template will not have an appreciable effect on his power due to the already potent items he wields.

+3 is about right IMO, maybe +2 if you are willing to play around with the ECL. His best spell is Holy Word and Ressurection, which the foes you face will barely be affected by unless he bypasses their SR.

The stat bonuses and immunities will be helpful, but your game doesn't seem all that combat oriented anyhow. They fight alot of devils with access to fire, which a half-celestial is still affected by.

I just don't think at your current level of play with the potencty of 20th level characters that the half-celestial template will be much more than window dressing with abilities that might save their lives for a time or two.

Not to mention, once you are a half-celestial, you can no longer be ressurected save by a wish or miracle. That is a major disadvantage at high levels of play.

Luis Figoo

First Post
Its -1 on the level adjustment without the wings right? I thought it was in Savage Species somewhere.

Also AFAIR, natural flight allows you the run movement, but magical flight does not

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re

Celtavian said:
Not to mention, once you are a half-celestial, you can no longer be ressurected save by a wish or miracle. That is a major disadvantage at high levels of play.

That depends on whether he'd be considered a "native outsider" (like aasimar and tielfings in Forgotten Realms) and on whether S2 uses the spells from Manual of the Planes (one of which, IIRC, was revive outsider or something similar.)

J

AEtherfyre

First Post
Luis Figoo said:
Also AFAIR, natural flight allows you the run movement, but magical flight does not

That's just the Fly spell. Supernatural flight only differs in that it's faster and doesn't work in Anti-Magic Fields.

Fimmtiu

First Post
All things considered, I'd have to agree with the "+3 without wings/+5 with" argument. That's how we've played it in our group, and the templated characters fit in just about perfectly with the other party members at 3 levels down.

As for the proposed "outsiders can't be resurrected" disadvantage, you've got to consider that the character started out as an ordinary human. I'd be inclined to treat it the same way that monks, for example, become resurrectable outsiders upon achieving 20th level.

IanB

First Post
This is an under-researched question, but I could swear I saw somewhere that template adjustments are based off of the -base- HD of the creature only - which is to say a half-celestial human would only have the 1 HD powers regardless of class advancement after that. It may have been in the template section of Savage Species.

Am I just hitting the crack pipe too hard?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads