• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-dragon as a class

Rampant

First Post
Ok new mission statement: I'm looking for close range battle field control.

I wanna implement some fear abilities and maybe some sort of variable ability boost system (+2 str, con, Int, cha player's choice, every x levels or so maybe?).

Suggestions? Also maybe some advice for rebalancing the natural armament weapons?

Shin Okada

Explorer
At this point, I am a little bit confused.

What is your true goal? Do you wants to make a new class which lets a PC becomes a half-dragon at class level 20? Or do you just want a class which is focused on dragon-like abilities and theme? Or both?

Rampant

First Post
The abilities of the half-dragon were a starting point, the idea from the beginning was to refine and improve upon the design from there in order to create a legitimate class.

That's what proto-type means.

As for the end goal: I want a class that can stake as much claim as any homebrew to the title of half-dragon, but it doesn't need to match up perfectly with the template.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Ok, so "close range battle field control":

-Spell-like abilities such as Grease, Hold Person, etc??
-Offensive and defensive Auras?
-Hexblade-like curses?
-Combat options like ToB manuvers?
-Charisma based bard-like offensive and ally-boosting abilities?
-Purely traditional Dragon-like abilities such as fear, breath weapon, and combat?

Rampant

First Post
That's the point of using the half-dragon idea instead of just making a generic dragon class, so I don't have to make up a bunch of races or weird fluff for why a dwarf is taking levels of dragon. Anyway the idea is that you're a half-dragon from level 1, you just get better at it as you put more levels in the class.

As for the abilities I'd like to stick to the draconic theme a bit, but we don't have to cleave to it entirely.

For example I was thinking that the fear aura would need to work a little differently as a PC ability.

Although a few maneuver type abilities might be a good idea,... maybe for a prc.

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
So you're basically creating a 20 level long monster class for a 3 level template? You should specify what the level-less Half-Dragon looks like, then. If it doesn't gain anything (no ability mods, no skill bonuses, no darkvision etc.), then it's much inferior to standard player races. So some Half-Dragon benefits should probably be included in the race itself, before you take levels in the Half-Dragon class.

Rampant

First Post
...No

I'm using the three level template as the inspiration/starting point for a class.

A member of any race would be able to take this class, there is no level-less half-dragon.

Also yes it does gain dark vision, and lowlight. I just folded them into the dragon spawn ability at level 1.

As for ability boosts I'm considering this idea

[cool name] : At level X and every Y levels afterwards you increase your strength, constitution, intelligence, or charisma by +2.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads