• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-orc revision?

bertman4

First Post
So minor tweaks are expected for the races. It looks like non-human races will get a racial weapon familiarity so I'm guessing the half-orc will get it with the double-axe. But what other flavor tweaks should they get? I think I remember someone suggesting +2 to Intimidate skill checks. I also remember discussion of increased carrying capacity (1.5x normal was original suggestion?). Anything else we'd like to see to make them more interesting and flavorful? Mmm... half-orc flavor... d'oh!

Bertman

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not even sure about the weapon familiarity with the Orc double axe: they have orc blood, but I think that WFam is meant to be more a cultural feature.

cptg1481

First Post
Half Orcs Will rule the world......

Ok, maybe not but I like them anyway. Scent is a good start it is a cool thing for them to have, I don't think that it makes them porcine to have this, feral and crude perhaps but, piglike, nope.

I am using some of the updated stuff in my new game as it becomes availiable and have decided to give each human kingdom or area it's own weapons of familiarity and therefore the free martial thing.

Half-orcs got shafted in 3rd Ed (IMO anyway) scent is a good addition to make things a little more fair. I mean -4 stat points for a +2 in str, aren't we a tad afraid of the strength thing.

Anyway, I thought about either giving them another point of str or taking away the int penalty. The stigma of being an outcast and cha penaltys are enough to compenste for the +2 str. Don't know, I'm not a real stickler for the rules anyway. The rules are always more fun to break than enforce.

The Little Raven

First Post
If they let half-orcs take Scent as a feat (probably with a prerequisite of Wis 11+, which seems to be the standard), they should let gnomes take it as well, since they can "track alchemical reactions by scent."

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I don't hold with scent, since it enables you to defeat sneaking, and that's nothing a PC should be able to do to easily.

Where did they say that all races will get a weapon familiarity? Does anyone have a link on that? And will the elves get something else, since thier proficiencies were part of their advantages (and if they give some races exotic weapon proficiencies, like a dwarven waraxe or orc double axe, this better be worthwile for elves..)

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
KaeYoss:
I don't hold with scent, since it enables you to defeat sneaking, and that's nothing a PC should be able to do to easily.

The same issue came up in a campaign I'm playin in right now. I'm playing a Druid, and wanted to take Scent for my Lv 6 feat.

The DM had some trouble with the power of the "feat" and so we toned the application you are reffering to down to only giving a bonus to the spot check to find the little SOB sneaking by.

The bonus, of course, depends (mostly) on the race and cleanliness of the sneaking critter.

Vs. Savage humanoids it's around a +4
Vs. Civilized humanoids it's about +2
Vs. Beasts and Animals it's a +6

The bonus can vary a lot though. Anwhere from +0 (golems) to +20 (gnomes).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads