• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General half-orcs and bad Charisma

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yes. Because being made out of muscle may make you physically intimidating, but "I am imposing" isn't much of a personality.
Shade thrown on all of Fit-tok
Can GigaChad make you cry with the story of a little girl going hungry?
He can certainly make you cry.

But the point is more about force of personality, one fo the few things called out in the general lackluster description of Charisma and the mimetic anecdotes about the Gigachad, not necessarily just the image.

MGibster

Legend
I think we kind of have to accept that Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma might work for a game but doesn't accurately model human beings in any useful way. The truth is that you might have someone with a very high Charisma who can move me to tears with a sad story but whom I would only laugh at if they tried to intimidate me. Being very charismatic in real life doesn't mean you're necessarily good at intimidation, story telling, or acting.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
The assumptions have always been that most player races hate orcs, that orcs are brutish (thank you tolkien) and that as a result people hate orcs so half orcs start off at a disadvantage in any charisma related encounter with anyone but orcs.
That's the problem in a nutshell-- designers have been confused about the difference between intrinsic Charisma and how people of other "races" feel about you, which is how you end up with a lot of the nonsense baked into it. Orcs should have a high Charisma-- think intimidation and saving throws-- and, if absolutely necessary, a penalty to encounter checks.

Remove ads