• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General half-orcs and bad Charisma

ECMO3

Hero
There is an older game (Super-Hero Genre) called Villains and Vigilantes that Charisma, in part) is the degree to which you reflect "the side" you are on. So, evil characters with a high Charisma gets a bonus when dealing with evil people/nps, and good characters with a high Charisma get a bonus when dealing with good characters/npc.
I believe in 1E something similar applied.. With bad charisma giving a bonus when dealing with evil creatures and good charisma giving a penalty.

This does not make a lot of sense and we never used it.

Edgar Ironpelt

Adventurer
In practice, Charisma is used as the "make friends and influence people" ability score. So while Dwarves, Half-Orcs, and Orcs might have strong and forceful personalities, those personalities are also off-putting. Their penalty to Charisma can be attributed to their strong personalities rubbing people the wrong way, rather than to their having weak and wimpy personalities.

That's my two cents, anyway.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
What makes them bad in general, in your opinion (which I assume this is)?
An absence of a bonus is already enough to steer people away from non-archetypal options, if one's goal is to drive people away from playing against type. A penalty doubles that, actively punishing anyone who tries to play against type.

Ability score penalties directly and substantially contribute to everyone playing more "cookie-cutter" characters.

Also, frankly, the racial essentialism issue.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
An absence of a bonus is already enough to steer people away from non-archetypal options, if one's goal is to drive people away from playing against type. A penalty doubles that, actively punishing anyone who tries to play against type.

Ability score penalties directly and substantially contribute to everyone playing more "cookie-cutter" characters.

Also, frankly, the racial essentialism issue.
What if the penalties appear somewhere other than race, you know, like the bonuses do?

And playing against type is kinda meaningless if there's no downside to it. And before you say that it can be role-played, remember that RP penalties are deeply subjective and a poor way to balance anything, because they can't be strictly enforced.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
At the point where we are with D&D, there's really no reason for any species/ancestry to give bonuses to stats at all. I would simply roll that into the default array, or perhaps even into class. The discussion as to what a dwarf or elf or orc is these days is increasingly a relic of earlier times. Custom Lineage for everyone. That isn't what I'm looking for but it does remove a lot of baggage.

Remove ads