D&D (2024) Half Race Appreciation Society: Half Elf most popular race choice in BG3

Do you think Half Elf being most popular BG3 race will cause PHB change?s?

• Yes, Elf (and possibly other specieses) will get a hybrid option.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Yes, a crunchier hybrid species system will be created

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Yes, a fluffier hybrid species system will be created

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • No, the playtest hybrid rules will move forward

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • No, hybrids will move to the DMG and setting books.

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.0%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I was both shocked and not so shocked that Baldur's Gate most popular race was Half Elf.
1692552077824.png

Half Orc even beats Dwarf, Gnome, and Halfling.

With Jeremy Crawford statement that they check social media for chatter along with the surveys to make decisions, there is a chance that hybrid races be revisited in the final 3 PHB playtest packets.

What do you think will happen?

Interesting data.

I do think there is a difference between creating a character in a video game and playing it versus playing a game in a TTRPg. I can by no means quantify it, but I have definitely seen a difference between what someone is willing to play for a year at a table and in person versus what they are willing to play while sitting at home, alone, over the course of a few months.

Divine2021

Adventurer
They’ll do absolutely nothing about it because they don’t care. Wizards of the Coast doesn’t care about history, tradition, or actual player desires or wants outside of a certain demographic that they are certain will spend lots and lots of money on official DnD products and services if certain decisions are made. They simply don’t care about the type of person who spends money on BG3 because WoTC has already decided they aren’t the future of the hobby.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
They’ll do absolutely nothing about it because they don’t care. Wizards of the Coast doesn’t care about history, tradition, or actual player desires or wants outside of a certain demographic that they are certain will spend lots and lots of money on official DnD products and services if certain decisions are made. They simply don’t care about the type of person who spends money on BG3 because WoTC has already decided they aren’t the future of the hobby.
People who bought BG3 are in digital and WOTC is 100% going after digital players who are willing to buy expansions and DLC.

Divine2021

Adventurer
People who bought BG3 are in digital and WOTC is 100% going after digital players who are willing to buy expansions and DLC.
Yea and people who bought bg3 are old. Check the average age of a Steam user. This will change NOTHING on WotCs part. Nothing. Because they don’t care.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Sadly I suspect that the ending of support for half-elf and half-orc is set in stone.

To the point where half-elf and half-orc NPCs get axed or retconned into other species.
I don't think half elf is coming back as a race.

But I think that "Play an elf and pretend one of its parents is human" might not survive.

There might be another hybrid races system in PHB or a future book.

Remove ads