D&D (2024) Half Race Appreciation Society: Half Elf most popular race choice in BG3

Do you think Half Elf being most popular BG3 race will cause PHB change?s?

• Yes, Elf (and possibly other specieses) will get a hybrid option.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Yes, a crunchier hybrid species system will be created

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Yes, a fluffier hybrid species system will be created

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • No, the playtest hybrid rules will move forward

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • No, hybrids will move to the DMG and setting books.

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.0%

I don't own BG3, so my question would be what are the mechanical bonuses you get with half-elves in the game?

In BG3, everyone has floating +2/+1 to stats
Humans get polearm + light armor + shield proficiencies, and an extra skill
Half-elves get polearm + light armor + shield proficiencies, and darkvision, and pick one from...
half-highelf (cantrip) / half-woodelf (movement speed + stealth skill prof) / half-drow (dancing lights + faerie fire + darkness)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't own BG3, so my question would be what are the mechanical bonuses you get with half-elves in the game?
Mechanically
A half elf is basically an elf but with Militia weapons, Light armor, and shields, instead of Elf weapons and Perception Prof.
Larian took out Racial ASI.
So really picking Half Elf is a nerf until you are a caster who planned to go light armor and shield instead of casting Mage Armor. So it's not power gaming.

It's likely what @fluffybunbunkittens said. A half elf lets you play a Human with some special fantasy. That, playing a person of 2 cultures, or playing the diplomat to me seem to be the main drivers of playing a half elf.

Scribe

Legend
Mechanically
A half elf is basically an elf but with Militia weapons, Light armor, and shields, instead of Elf weapons and Perception Prof.
Larian took out Racial ASI.
So really picking Half Elf is a nerf until you are a caster who planned to go light armor and shield instead of casting Mage Armor. So it's not power gaming.

It's likely what @fluffybunbunkittens said. A half elf lets you play a Human with some special fantasy. That, playing a person of 2 cultures, or playing the diplomat to me seem to be the main drivers of playing a half elf.
Also, I'm 99% sure that Elf/Human/Half Elf have different face options.

It's really about your funny hat.

Getting a free shield just gives half-elf wizards, sorcerers, and warlocks +2 over every other race besides humans, and a lot of people will see darkvision as making them better than humans for those classes too. We need to see the class data to get a better idea of what's going on.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I just want to be a human with darkvision and an elf that can grow a beard
Yeah, not ALL elves can grow fabulous moustaches like the DROW can!

1692594574332.png

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Getting a free shield just gives half-elf wizards, sorcerers, and warlocks +2 over every other race besides humans, and a lot of people will see darkvision as making them better than humans for those classes too. We need to see the class data to get a better idea of what's going on.
We have the class data.

But yes, most of the top 5 picked classes do benefit from a free shield.

Scribe

Legend

You mean the Class Data for BG3? We have that, not in combo with races, but stand alone.

BG3Classes.JPG

Remove ads