• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Half Red, Half Black Dragon? O_o

N'raac

First Post
Lets say a black dragon and a white dragon mate.

There is a 40% chance that any given egg would be a black dragon.

Another 40% chance that it is a white dragon.

The remaining 10% of the eggs are two-headed dragons. One white head, one black head and as for the body... well, I could be zebra-like, or all black, or all white, or even gray. I would go with a zebra-like pattern, though.

It might be taboo on their society since they could count it as blasphemy (their goddess is a multy-headed dragon, after all).

OK, since the question asked earlier seems to be poorly understood...I roll the d% and:

01 - 40 = White Dragon
41 - 80 = Black Dragon
81 - 90 = Two Headed Dragon
91 - 00 = WHAT?

davidb202

First Post
I would have to say that maybe when dragons interbreed their offspring are like mules, not able to produce offspring of their own. So in my game I would run them as an exceptionally rare occurrence that tends to occur when you have different bioms in unusually close proximity.

meomwt

First Post
In my collection somewhere, I have a copy of the Mongoose book The Slayer's Guide to Dragons, co-authored by Gary Gygax. That has some considerations for half-breed dragons, which could be ported over to PF as well. There's also a scenario in the back which has such a beast (and scared the hoo-hah out of my players).

Tharkon

First Post
Half-dragon” is an inherited or acquired template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A half-dragon retains all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Dragons are living corporeal creatures as well.

Gfreak2x9

Explorer
OK, since the question asked earlier seems to be poorly understood...I roll the d% and:

01 - 40 = White Dragon
41 - 80 = Black Dragon
81 - 90 = Two Headed Dragon
91 - 00 = WHAT?

I asked the question you're talking about. I was a bit confused at first then I realized it was just an error. Cut the guy some slack, we all make mistakes! His idea was pretty awesome, if I do say so myself! So I just did it like this...

1-45=White
46-90=Black
91-100=Two Headed

Last edited:

Gfreak2x9

Explorer
Hey guys! This thread seems like a good place to discuss this so I think I'll ask. Do any of you know the rules for a Dragon taking human form? I have spoken about this in other threads but I haven't had much luck getting an answer! So can a Dragon just assume the form of a human whenever it wants or what? Do you need to be able to cast Alter Self, or Polymorph? In another thread someone told me that only curtain colors of Dragons can do this in PF, is that true? I don't mean to discredit this person IN ANY WAY. After all they gave good advice and (if I'm not mistaken) directly quoted the books. However I still find that a tad odd. I made the mistake of playing both 3.5 and PF...now the rules dance around in my head and I can never remember which is which. Even with that being said wouldn't you think that if one color could change into human shape they all could?

P.S. I've only just joined ENworld so I don't know how to add a link to the other discussions. Do I just go there, grab the link, head back here and edit this post by adding it? is there a button to press that does all that? Help?

N'raac

First Post
Like the original question, I just want confirmation whether the intent was 45% chances of the parents, leaving the remaining 10% up to the possibility of a hybrid or some other possibility.

Gfreak2x9

Explorer
Like the original question, I just want confirmation whether the intent was 45% chances of the parents, leaving the remaining 10% up to the possibility of a hybrid or some other possibility.

My bad, i was just confused. I didn't realize that you were leaving the 10% up to the possibility of a hybrid.

Ramaster

Adventurer
My bad, i was just confused. I didn't realize that you were leaving the 10% up to the possibility of a hybrid.

Ok, many people have asked about this, so let me clarify.

Yes, on my original post that was a mistake/oversight.

I meant for it to be 45 / 45 / 10.

The 40 / 40 / 10 (two headed) / 10 (hybrid) option is quite interesting, though.

I have also been fiddling with the idea of dropping the two headed dragons to animal intelligence (INT 2) and losing all spell-likes, so as to reinforce the notion that dragons DO NOT LIKE to interbreed frequently, since such beasts tend to be incontrollable and feral, unlike intelligent and scheming true dragons. If those two adjustments are made (the drop on INT and loss of all spell like abilities) then I'm positive that the template would be a flat +1 CR.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Gfreak2x9

Explorer
Ok, many people have asked about this, so let me clarify.

Yes, on my original post that was a mistake/oversight.

I meant for it to be 45 / 45 / 10.

The 40 / 40 / 10 (two headed) / 10 (hybrid) option is quite interesting, though.

I have also been fiddling with the idea of dropping the two headed dragons to animal intelligence (INT 2) and losing all spell-likes, so as to reinforce the notion that dragons DO NOT LIKE to interbreed frequently, since such beasts tend to be incontrollable and feral, unlike intelligent and scheming true dragons. If those two adjustments are made (the drop on INT and loss of all spell like abilities) then I'm positive that the template would be a flat +1 CR.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I love the idea of a two headed Dragon! I was just confused as to the numbers. That idea is awesome, I am putting that in my campaign! Nothing says "Oh my god!!!" quite like a half Red, Half Black abomination coming to destroy the town!

Remove ads