• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half Staff

Lakoda

First Post
My second post in this thread pretty much explains why I decided to do this. What I am doing is resolving what I consider to be an inconsistency with the Staff in 4e, as well as addressing something that has bothered me for a while (two-handed weapons as one-handed implements). First, I purpose treating the quarterstaff as it should be, a long 6+ foot staff similar to a pole-arm. Second I want to introduce a second weapon to the Staff category, the half staff (a 4-5 foot staff). I haven't made any 4e weapons before so let me know if this is not balanced well.

Half Staff
Simple one-handed melee weapon
Cost
: 2 gp
Damage
: 1d6
Proficient
: +3
Weight
: 2 lb.
Properties
: Versatile
Group
: Staff
Second, I will house rule the Staff Fighting feat to be beneficial for both choices.
Staff Fighting: Additionally, you can treat Half Staffs as possessing the defensive keyword and increase it's damage die one size (to 1d8).
Finally, I would house rule some much needed clarification for implements.
Wielding a weapons as an implement requires the same number of hands as if wielding it as a weapon. All other implements are one-handed.
Arcane Implement, Staff: Applies to any Staff, not just the Quarterstaff.

Last edited:

I agree that Halflings (or other small PC races) get the shaft in terms of weapon choices, and one of the ways that happens is they can't use a staff as a weapon, but what is the issue with using a staff one handed as an implement? Doesn't hurt anything. Quarterstaff could also be ruled a 'small' weapon, which would simply allow small characters to wield staves, which certainly wouldn't cause any problems. Frankly I don't think it would cause any problems to just house rule away the whole "small characters can't use 2 handed weapons" rule for that matter. I really don't think it would make Halflings over powerful.

Lakoda

First Post
A traditional quarterstaff is 6-10 feet long. Not really small in my book, but a half staff would work for small characters. A quarterstaff (much like a Bo staff) is long almost like a pole-arm in many cases. A shorter staff that would fit the walking stick sized staff used in the staff wizard arch-type we picture when discussing staffs as an implement are more in line with a Jo staff (which is about 4 feet long). Besides, if the quarterstaff was in fact the appropriate length to fit the imagery it would not be a very good double weapon, but if it was as long as it should be it would be too long to use as a walking staff (and I would argue it would be too long to use effectively as an implement ... because you have to do more then just hold it).

Remove ads