• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halfling names

Geoffrey said:
I seem to remember that J. R. R. Tolkien wrote that he wished he would have given all the Hobbits/Halflings middle-class English names. Consequently, the best source for Halfling names are Charles Dickens novels.

Example: Theodore Scommins

Wow, good tip!!! Those do sound Hobbitesque. I like it. But what if you don't want your hobbits sounding like LotR characters?

Kilmore

First Post
Bonehoard Taffer said:

Wow, good tip!!! Those do sound Hobbitesque. I like it. But what if you don't want your hobbits sounding like LotR characters?

Then name them any way but that way. ;)

Say, you're the guy coming up with that real gloomy type homebrew, right? You want the halfling names to reflect that kind of mood?

Kilmore said:

Say, you're the guy coming up with that real gloomy type homebrew, right? You want the halfling names to reflect that kind of mood?

Well, maybe I could borrow the names of Dickens villains ;)

Seriously, I think it's a great idea. I will probably use it at some point, because even though those names might not be for everyone. I like it. One reason it is so good is that if the halfling names follow that pattern then there is a sense of continuity in the halfling community and it's a really nice touch. Likewise you could do other things as well along those lines. Norse or Germanic names for dwarves and Celtic names for elves, for example.

Kilmore said:

Gee, does it sound that gloomy? I don't want to go overboard.

Timothy

First Post
I play a lot of halflings, and all of them usually get the nickname lunch.

So one time I decided to call him lunch, in a different language, I chose french. Then it's dejeuner, however Breakfast in french is Petit Dejeuner, so that became my name. We all had a good laugh.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Bonehoard Taffer said:

Gee, does it sound that gloomy? I don't want to go overboard.

No, it doesn't. It sounds like a really neat world to adventure in. :) In fact, I think you should try to get it published once you have it polished up.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
What I do for halfling names is use this formula:

Firstname=normal human name
Lastname= (plant name)(body part) or (plant name)(geographical feature)

So you have names like Ernie Heathertoes or Alton Oakhill. Of course, these do sound very Tolkien-esque, so if you don't want that feel, this method isn't much help.

trentonjoe

Explorer
The best halfling name I've seen is Tomerrik TwelveToes.

He would have to explain to everyone he mey he didn't actually have 12 toes. It was pretty funny.

"Howdy, I'm Tom Twelvetoes. Just a family name, really."

Terra_Ferax_Mark

First Post
Berk said:
Looking for a good halfling name for my new character for tomorrow. My brain is so dead atm, been a freaky creepy saturday. Anyways, if ya'll can come up with some neat halfthing names would be sweet. =o)

Halfling Name Tables

more than 1800 female names (i.e. 18 tables with 100 names each, plus a table with less than 100 names)
more than 800 female nicknames,
more than 1900 male names,
more than 800 male nicknames,
and more than 1900 surnames.

tfi3007.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads