D&D 5E Halfling Rogue Actions During a Turn - Hiding, Advantage, and Sneak Attacks

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Fighter gets much better at higher levels, when they start getting multiple attacks. But I agree rogue does well. And it seems very fun to play.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It so weird. I could've sworn that only applied to melee attacks, but it doesn't say that, does it?

Not sure how I feel about that. :heh:
Believe me, I read that section very carefully. Initially I thought it was only in melee as well!

I think it's ok. It's not like the rogue overshadowed the rest of the group, she was just extremely effective.

pedro2112

First Post
I could have sworn that a tweet from Mearls suggested that if you "pop out" from behind your medium sized ally you are "in view" and no longer are hidden, thus, no advantage.

I'm not sure how much an overall difference it would make as you get SA damage anytime one of your non-incapacitated allies is within 5' of the target.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I could have sworn that a tweet from Mearls suggested that if you "pop out" from behind your medium sized ally you are "in view" and no longer are hidden, thus, no advantage.

I'm not sure how much an overall difference it would make as you get SA damage anytime one of your non-incapacitated allies is within 5' of the target.

Would mean you could never hide behind an object and attack from hiding. Seems like yes, you're position is known, but not before you get your shot off.

Melkor

Explorer
Is the halfling succeeding on his Stealth every time? Even with a good modifier, I'd think there would be rounds where the enemy spots him.

Are the fighters using their action surges and extra attacks?

The Halfling did not succeed on Stealth every time, but with his +7 Stealth, and the DM ruling that the he only had to beat Passive Perception of the enemies in the fight (unless they used an action to search for him), it wasn't that hard to hide.

The fighter did get action surge, but only the one between Short Rests. I think his Improved Critical will help with damage output now that he is high enough level to start seeing the benefits...especially when he rolls two dice when he has Advantage.

fjw70

Adventurer
You can't be hidden if you can be seen so unless the DM rules that the target is sufficiently distracted and doesn't see you pop out then you won't have advantage on the attack.

Personally I would allow the halfling to shoot between the legs of the ally to still be hidden while making the attack.

Melkor

Explorer
You can't be hidden if you can be seen so unless the DM rules that the target is sufficiently distracted and doesn't see you pop out then you won't have advantage on the attack.

Personally I would allow the halfling to shoot between the legs of the ally to still be hidden while making the attack.

The hiding section (page 60 of the Basic PDF) says: "In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around, so if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you."

If you the Lightfoot Halfling Rogue popping out from behind a medium-sized creature to shoot, technically, that wouldn't be "approaching" before you shot. Shooting would give you away after the shot.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

This is where the halfling Lightfoot's naturally stealthy ability comes into play . He can hide behind a medium sized ally for advantage.

Melkor

Explorer

I found this:

@VerysArkon : When does "hidden" end? As soon as a creatures moves into line-of-sight from behind cover or after the ranged attack is made?
[MENTION=7507]mike[/MENTION] Mearls: As soon as the creature is fully visible or attacks - DM judgment on visibility (ex: sniper hiding behind a corner).

"Fully" visible or attacks seems to be a key statement (as does DM judgement).

Last edited:

Remove ads