D&D 5E Halfling Rogue Actions During a Turn - Hiding, Advantage, and Sneak Attacks

pedro2112

First Post
Hmm I would say that once the enemy get's hit they need to do a preception roll to see if they know where the shot came from. I know it isn't too good to use a real life example but if someone dashes out from a hidden place and throws something at you, it usually takes awhile before you attempt to look at who threw something at you since you are a bit surprised.
Arctic Wolf,

Not according to the rules. See Merric's quote of the rule on page 73 in the above post.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hmm I would say that once the enemy get's hit they need to do a preception roll to see if they know where the shot came from. I know it isn't too good to use a real life example but if someone dashes out from a hidden place and throws something at you, it usually takes awhile before you attempt to look at who threw something at you since you are a bit surprised.

Not if you know what you're doing. I would think that anyone any good at defending themselves in a life-or-death situation would have grown out of that initial shock long ago.

As far as the general discussion goes, does everyone agree that if you are a halfling rogue, hiding behind a burly fighter you can fire your shortbow while hidden, but the fighter grants soft cover to your target the same as he grants it to you? Therefor, if "popping out" reveals you, you just stay behind him and fire under his arm (or between his legs, as was said) but he's kind of in your way.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Ah, Stealth, my old friend. Once again, you confound and confuse.

I'll reserve judgement until I actually get to play or run the game, however. :)

Dausuul

Legend
Fighter gets much better at higher levels, when they start getting multiple attacks. But I agree rogue does well. And it seems very fun to play.
Agreed. Last weekend I played in a 12th-level party with a cleric, rogue, and fighter. The rogue just barely kept up with the fighter on damage... when he was able to sneak attack. When he wasn't, his damage output plunged. The fighter just kept on smashing face, round after round.

Dausuul

Legend
"If you are hidden - both unseen and unheard - when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses." - page 73, Basic Rules.
Whether you get sneak attack is determined by whether you attack with advantage. If you are hidden, you remain so until the attack hits or misses, by which point advantage has already been determined. Thus, attacking from hidden gives you SA.

On the other hand, if you have to run 30 feet to get in position to attack, leaving your hidden position, you would obviously no longer be hidden and no longer get SA.

So the question is, at what point does your movement cease to be part of the attack action and become "movement that breaks concealment?" And the answer is, "Ask the DM." Which is the correct answer. ;)

Agamon

Adventurer
Whats confusing?

Yeah, it's not really that confusing. You can hide before combat starts. Once you attack, you can't hide any more, as the the defenders can see where you are. If you can become unseen (move to full cover, become invisible, etc) then you can try hiding again. But that's the important part. In order to hide, you have to completely leave the view of those attacking you.

All monsters aren't 1-year olds.

*Halfling jumps out from behind a tree and shoots his bow at the orc*

"Look, a halfling! Get him"

*Halfling ducks behind tree and hides*

"Huh? Where'd he go? He was here just a second ago..."

"Halfling jumps back out from behind tree and shoots at the orc again"

"Whoa, there he is. He must be some kind of wizard! Get him!"

*Halfling ducks behind tree and hides*

"Ah! He's gone again. Screw this..."

*Orcs flee from the incredible "wizard" halfling that magically disappears after attacking*

Remove ads