D&D 5E Halflings Of The Corn

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, the design is fine by me, overall. And it is super easy to distinguish Gnomes and Halflings without reference. But the actual Halfling pictures in the PHB are just the worst in the book, which is disappointing given the overall quality.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
At Gen Con I asked Mike Mearls to please fix the halfling. He pantomimed having a giant head and said, "We'll see."

I'm glad we're still griping about it rather than letting it pass. I disagree that this idea was ever sound, though -- it's not just the art in the PHB. "Toddler" is not a heroic archetype.

Well, sure. I mean, when I'm rolling a new character my first concern is, "How toddler-like can I make this guy?"

halfling rogue

Explorer
I can't recall if it was said by the artist or the concept team or whomever, but I read somewhere about the reasoning for Big Heads and Little Feet was to create a visual illusion of smallness.

somebody rolled a 1

The artwork is bad, yeah, but it wouldn't really factor into my decision whether to play them or not. I mean, this is a game where you can play as a 7 foot tall green man with tusks and a pig nose fighting a creature made entirely of eyes and mouths, and a person with a little bit overly large head and small feet is the most terrifying thing? Yeesh.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
The artwork is bad, yeah, but it wouldn't really factor into my decision whether to play them or not. I mean, this is a game where you can play as a 7 foot tall green man with tusks and a pig nose fighting a creature made entirely of eyes and mouths, and a person with a little bit overly large head and small feet is the most terrifying thing? Yeesh.

I have actually had players ask me, "I'm playing a halfling, but do I have to look like that?" The answer is obviously 'no,' but the question should not have to be asked.

Stalker0

Legend
While there are fierce debates on all aspects of 5e, so far the "halfling art is bad" complaint seems to resonate with most people.

I'll echo it, I love most of the ph artwork...great job overall, but the halfling art was the worst

Scorpio616

First Post
Not even the MTG Kithkin Rabble looked as awful as the PHB halflings.

SHM_kithkin-rabble_158695.jpg

Remove ads