D&D 5E Halflings Of The Corn

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Here is a link to that concept art discussion which was mentioned

http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/2013end2

NewHalfling.jpg

Last edited:

Part of the problem with Demon Wailer is beyond the halfling proportioning: IMHO, it's an unattractive art style, too. Those "Pixar-like" concept drawings may be unpopular, but at least they look polished.

BigVanVader

First Post

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
Here is a link to that concept art discussion which was mentioned

http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/2013end2

View attachment 65648

looks like a few members of the Lollipop Guild got trapped in a microwave with a wererat and that doofus from Up.

and what happend to halflings being a dex race? these things are proportioned like real-life little people, who we all know aren't the most physically capable humans on the planet. it's easier to imagine one of these 'halflings' as the villain in the Leprechaun movies than it is to imagine one climbing a rope.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well again. I think the issue is that halflings have only one agreed-on physical attribute.

Being short.

And you have to be able to recognize halflings without placing another taller race or object next to them. You can't use point ears or big noses as that's what gnomes and dwarfs have. And big or hairy feet are too close to hobbit based lawsuits.

So you get big heads and little hands.

It seems to me that, as a race, Halflings are defined by what they are not: not Hobbits, not Gnomes, not Kenders. You really have to wonder what they are all about, what's their hook, what sets them apart. I don't think that WotC really has found a satisfactory answer to that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It seems to me that, as a race, Halflings are defined by what they are not: not Hobbits, not Gnomes, not Kenders. You really have to wonder what they are all about, what's their hook, what sets them apart. I don't think that WotC really has found a satisfactory answer to that.

I don't think that's all true.

Halflings are defined mentally and socially. Traditional, practical, but adventurous, and curious.

It's physically...
Physically the only adjective the halfling has is "short".
Maybe "dexterous" but drawing that is hard (or repetitive).

Remove ads