• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halo 2 to 3

Odhanan

Adventurer
I played Halo on PC.

I intend to get Halo 3. Is it best to play Halo 2 before Halo 3? Does the former make the game experience provided by the latter better? Or do I jump right up to Halo 3, and get Halo 2 whenever? Please advise. :)

ohGr

First Post
3 is the only game in the series i've played and i don't feel my enjoyment was hampered by that fact. I did read a plot synopsis of the first two games, though, so that i wouldn't be lost storyline-wise. I liked the ones on Wikipedia; they're short and to the point.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I've played all 3, and while there is a story connecting them all, it's my opinion that it isn't a necessary prerequisite to enjoying the action. Basically you run around and shoot things, occasionally taking a break to drive around and shoot things, or fly around and shoot things.

I also played Halo 1 on PC, then Halo 2 on backwards compatibility on my 360, then Halo 3. I got H2 for about $20 used via an Amazon 3rd party seller.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Only played bits of the 2nd game before getting my 360 and Halo 3. I think you'd be able to catch up pretty quick if you decide not to get 2, so no worries there. What was cool about Halo 2 was the opportunity to play as the Arbiter and see things from the Covenant perspective.

Arnwyn

First Post
Unlike the others here, I believe it's important to play Halo 2 through to completion before playing Halo 3 - the story is far superior that way, and the experience is far better that way.

If you don't care about story, then don't bother, but I certainly don't recommend it.

Redrobes

First Post
I would say that its a little like reading a book from the middle of a large ongoing saga or a film where there is a trilogy. You would not get so much history on the master chief and the story or the build up on the halo ring or perhaps know what its all about. The third episode does not attempt to fill you in to being with on these issues.

That said, if the back story does not concern you then you will start and run its book story like any novel. Like a die hard film its really not all that important to know the precise detail.

If you just want to forget the story and wade in guns a blazin then forget 1 & 2. Halo 3 is much better tho the previous two were brilliant for the time they were released too. I still think Halo 1 was the second best game on the XBox.

Goldmoon

First Post
I would suggest just playing Halo 3 and not the others. Halo 3 brought very little to the franchise honestly and you'd be dissappointed if you played 1 and 2 first.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Lazybones said:
I've played all 3, and while there is a story connecting them all, it's my opinion that it isn't a necessary prerequisite to enjoying the action. Basically you run around and shoot things, occasionally taking a break to drive around and shoot things, or fly around and shoot things.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.

I also played Halo 1 on PC, then Halo 2 on backwards compatibility on my 360, then Halo 3. I got H2 for about $20 used via an Amazon 3rd party seller.

I think playing Halo2 before Halo3 is a good idea, but certainly not mandatory. The trilogy doesn't sync perfectly anyway, so not a huge deal. More of the Halo3 plot elements are in backstory rather than Halo2's cinematics, but playing Halo2 afterwards would be a little odd I think.

Heck, Halo2 is cheap enough.

Remove ads