• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hammer of Thunderbolts Rules Question

Bardbarian

First Post
It has always bothered me that the Hammer of Thunderbolts is a bit underwhelming for the extremely difficult conditions required to attune it. This has been a favorite item of mine throughout decades of D&D play. In particular, that it seems to need all 3 attunements for a character to use leaving no variety in equipment possible beyond vanilla armor.

Upon glancing at it recently I noticed it says that "You must be wearing a belt of giant strength (any variety) and gauntlets of ogre power" (emphasis mine).

Could I wear gauntlets of ogre power without attuning them in order to attune the Hammer? This would allow one other fun or useful item to be attuned at some point assuming I would probably want to use the belt if I had one.

The only one of these items I have are the gauntlets but I can dream can't I?

PS: yes I acknowledge this weapon is basically just a +3 vanilla weapon with a situational power but it has sentimental value to an old gamer like myself.

Athinar

Explorer
You can combine other magic's to the items, G. O.P. combined with Protection +1, Belt with Fire Protection, etc..

But you need to attune to all three to make the Hammer work

Bardbarian

First Post
Is combining a house rule you made up or something in the books? Is there a method to do so? Also if you don't mind could you explain your reasoning on why the gauntlets would need to be attuned? Otherwise your answer seems like opinion. I assume you are basing it on some rule but without a reference, I don't know which one you are referring to.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Actually looking at it. It does not say this. You just have to wear them. So you could not attune to the Gauntlets and still get the full benefit if you have a Belt of Giant Strength.

I agree RAW you only have to wear them and not necessarily be attuned to them, though without the benefits of wearing them it'd kind of defeat the purpose, since its the superior strenght they procure that is supposed to allow you to be able to wield the hammer of thunderbolt. So RAI probably you need attunement.

Athinar

Explorer
I agree they Hammer does say that you have to wear them and nothing about attuning to the Belt/Gauntlets to use the Hammer, o'well use it then, it's not my game

you don't get the benefits of the other 2 items

ATTUNEMENT
Some magic items require a creature to form a bond with them before their magical properties can be used.

BELT OF GIANT STRENGTH Wondrous item, rarity varies (requires attunement)
GAUNTLETS OF OGRE POWER Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement)

HAMMER OF THUNDERBOLTS Weapon (maul), legendary
Giant's Bane (Requires Attunement). You must be wearing a belt of giant strength (any variety) and gauntlets of ogre power to attune to this weapon.

The Hand of Crawford does it again

Last edited:

I agree RAW you only have to wear them and not necessarily be attuned to them, though without the benefits of wearing them it'd kind of defeat the purpose, since its the superior strenght they procure that is supposed to allow you to be able to wield the hammer of thunderbolt. So RAI probably you need attunement.

Well if you are wearing a belt of Giants Strength then you don't get a benefit from the Gauntlets anyway.

Syntallah

First Post
In my Game I allow PCs to attune to a number of items = [ Cha mod + prof mod ], so Thorkin the Noarse could attune to all three and still have some other cool toys...

Noctem

Explorer
In my Game I allow PCs to attune to a number of items = [ Cha mod + prof mod ], so Thorkin the Noarse could attune to all three and still have some other cool toys...

Was this a way for you to make Charisma more attractive or needed? What happens with a class that naturally wants Charisma?

Syntallah

First Post
Partially, yes. Cha is so often a dump stat for anyone but a bard or sorcerer I use Cha for a few things. Those classes just get to attune to more items. I have not had it be a problem yet...

But mainly, I just wanted PCs to be able to attune to more items, and I sometimes require attunement for items it's not normally called for... Cha representing fate and/or how much the gods love you, was the natural option.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads