Handling defeated foes: dead or unconscious, and what to do about it?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I suppose one could make that fey oaths are intrinsically magical manifest directly to players and give a player character of a fey an affliction over a disregarded oath and flank that with allowing performance of blood demand (at a lower level) basically they are enforcing their rules on you. ;)

Last edited:

I suppose one could make that fey oaths are intrinsically magical manifest directly to players and give a player character of a fey an affliction over a disregarded oath and flank that with allowing performance of blood demand (at a lower level) basically they are enforcing their rules on you. ;)

Yeah, my HoML approach would be to make it some sort of boon, like 'Greater Fey' or something. So if you are 'Lesser Fey' you get the sort of 4e type stuff, a keyword and maybe some trance ability and whatnot. If you are 'Greater Fey' then you can get into the weird sorts of oaths and compulsions and whatnot. Each distinct thing could be a boon, or an affliction, etc.

like in fate when you are affected by the affliction you get ummm Fate Points

Well, yeah, I didn't claim anything I have designed is at all ORIGINAL, lol. I actually stole the idea from a guy that did a rework of 5e's Inspiration, with a good explanation of why it fails to work as-implemented.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, yeah, I didn't claim anything I have designed is at all ORIGINAL, lol. I actually stole the idea from a guy that did a rework of 5e's Inspiration, with a good explanation of why it fails to work as-implemented.

I would like to see that ... I have seen inspiration used in play, it certainly had a fun factor going.

I would like to see that ... I have seen inspiration used in play, it certainly had a fun factor going.

The problem is it doesn't really tie into anything. Its sort of just a 'get out of jail free card' kind of a thing. You burn it and you get a small benny in any situation. Most players just keep it and wait for the time when they really need it, or even totally forget. The recommendation is to tie it to your character's 'descriptors' (IE whatever is central to the character, the personality stuff, background, whatever) and make the benefit a plot benefit, not a mechanical one. Then allow the player to gain advantage by accepting a setback, again keyed to one of their character descriptions. Its really that simple. It was also recommended that you only have 1 'point' of inspiration, you can't horde it. At the start of every session, everyone starts with it, so you have a reasonable amount of chances to use it. It is also mostly a player thing, its no longer up to the GM to remember to give it out.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The problem is it doesn't really tie into anything. Its sort of just a 'get out of jail free card' kind of a thing. You burn it and you get a small benny in any situation.

In the session I seen inspiration in 5e with a bunch of newbies there was no hoarding... and a lot were being given out and the players learned well why not use it.
[MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] What you describe really does evoke fate points.

Last edited:

In the session I seen inspiration in 5e with a bunch of newbies there was no hoarding... and a lot were being given out and the players learned well why not use it.
[MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] What you describe really does evoke fate points.

Like anything, I'm sure it CAN work well. My observation, and that of many others, seems to be that it doesn't 'just work', which the variant DOES seem to do.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Like anything, I'm sure it CAN work well. My observation, and that of many others, seems to be that it doesn't 'just work', which the variant DOES seem to do.

I appropriately complemented the DM about how that went, I can certainly see how it might have gone problematic.

You mentioned this "Then allow the player to gain advantage by accepting a setback, again keyed to one of their character descriptions."

What kind of descriptions is this in mind for?

"Abuses his tools to their utmost" - gets a set back and immediately. Uses their shield breaking to gain advantage?

Last edited:

I appropriately complemented the DM about how that went, I can certainly see how it might have gone problematic.

You mentioned this "Then allow the player to gain advantage by accepting a setback, again keyed to one of their character descriptions."

What kind of descriptions is this in mind for?

"Abuses his tools to their utmost" - gets a set back and immediately. Uses their shield breaking to gain advantage?

Maybe not 'immediately', you get your Inspiration by accepting the 'setback' (perhaps you can't resist bashing a few of the town constables heads when they arrest your best friend and end up in a cell with him). Later on you can burn that inspiration to instantiate some sort of plot element that gives you something, like maybe a kid wanders in that you gave some bread to in an earlier scene (retcon allowed by spending Inspiration) who conveniently has hold of a set of jail keys! (Of course the GM can then explain it all because the kid is REALLY a wererat, etc...).

Remove ads